Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently started having issues with our 2016 Renegade power roof. It would not close properly. About 1/2 way through the closing process it would start making a loud noise and would reach a certain point where it would stop and open completely. Several trips to the dealer later and their conclusion is that dirt and debris had gotten in the tracks and was causing the issue. I have a real problem with that because it seems like it is almost a design issue. I didn't pay 30K+ for a vehicle that has a retractable roof that I have to periodically disassemble and clean to maintain proper operation. It is working okay for now but if the problem returns I will definitely be considering trading for one without the My Sky roof.

·
Super Moderator
1,576 Posts
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Going in for a service in 2 weeks so this is on the list.
Have removed roof-rails and MySky panels and cleared and greased it all
myself once already.

Not very well designed at all.

I'm more concerned about water ingress as debris means water
doesn't drain very well at all.

It is bloody brilliant when open though. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
How are all of the seals looking? Mine is manual, but when I take it off it looks fairly clean in there. I had the small front and rear panels that have the seal attached, replaced under warranty. They started to sag. It's been about 6 months and they are now holding up. $30k+, whacha got? I'd imagine that would be a tough trade.

·
Super Moderator
1,576 Posts
Will have to wait for the summer sun to see if the new panels survive. (Replaced last summer.)

I've been using silicone grease on the seals once in a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have the 4x4 2016 75th anniversary edition. The dealer didn't mention anything about the seals but we haven't had any water intrusion so far. What really bothers me is the fact that the dealer basically said because it is a dirt issue it isn't covered under warranty and it was something we would have to clean periodically.

·
Registered
43 Posts
.... if the problem returns I will definitely be considering trading for one without the My Sky roof.
Not trying to be a smart ___, but instead of trading for one without MySKy why not just opt to keep it closed? I understand not using it defeats the purpose of having it, and obviously we all want the features we paid for to work as they should. That said, unless you're in the market for a new Jeep anyway, opting not to use your MySky surely has to be a cheaper option than trading for the same thing without the feature.

So now that I've made waves, I'll offer a possible solution. I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, that I recently traded for a 2018 Renegade. My GC had the panoramic sunroof, which was great and worked most of the time. Every now and then it would do the same thing you're describing minus the grinding noise. Having had similar problems with a prior vehicle, I deduced it was a calibration issue. Basically the roof was "sensing" an obstruction and aborting the close command, after which it somehow fouled the calibration.

Here's the solution. Obviously dirt can get in the track when the roof is open or removed (most likely debris from trees). This is just a hazard of opening a hole in the roof. I had the same issues with a Charger I had before the GC. Either the tracks face inside the car which is ugly, or they face up where they risk exposure to debris. If there is dirt in the track, clear it out. A paint brush or compressed air should work just fine. After that, or in most cases, without even doing that, you can run the recalibration/reinitialization sequence. I don't remember if this is the same as the instructions I got from the dealership, but I found these instructions via a google search. It sounds the same, but I'll try to find my originals and verify. Anyway, you can run this sequence to get the roof working properly again (at least it worked on my WK2 and Charger).

REINITIALIZATION

The following procedure causes a previously calibrated and properly operating electronic motor module to relearn and update motor stall position and obstacle detection.

NOTE:
If at any point during the following procedure the sunroof does not respond as expected, restart the procedure at Step 1.

1.Depress and hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch until the sliding glass panel is fully closed.

2.Continue to hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch. It will take at least 10 seconds for the initialization process to begin.

3.The sunroof sliding glass panel will move to the hard stop and then back to the tilt (VENT) position.

4.Release the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch, then depress and hold the CLOSE push button again within 5 seconds.

5.As the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch is held, the sunroof sliding glass panel will move to the fully closed position, then to the fully opened position and then fully closed again.

6.Initialization is complete. Release the sunroof switch push button.

·
Registered
228 Posts
We have the 4x4 2016 75th anniversary edition. The dealer didn't mention anything about the seals but we haven't had any water intrusion so far. What really bothers me is the fact that the dealer basically said because it is a dirt issue it isn't covered under warranty and it was something we would have to clean periodically.
You can easily see the seals. With the panels closed, look where the front and rear panel meet the smaller fixed panels. Before mine was replaced, it looked like they were falling in. I never had any issues but as soon as I noticed it, I took it in and they replaced it no questions asked. It's worth taking a look at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This works with the MySky also. It worked for me when MySky was open and I tried to close it. It would try to close then open and it would not close. I checked the tracks for debris and made sure the tracks were greased. I was able to get it closed and did the relearn as the instructions said, just using the mysky button/lever to close it and it did relearn the process and works great now.

REINITIALIZATION

The following procedure causes a previously calibrated and properly operating electronic motor module to relearn and update motor stall position and obstacle detection.

NOTE:
If at any point during the following procedure the MySky does not respond as expected, restart the procedure at Step 1.

1.Pull and hold the CLOSE lever of the MySky switch until the panel is fully closed.

2.Continue to hold the CLOSE lever down on the MySky switch. It will take at least 10 seconds for the initialization process to begin.

3.The MySky panel will move to the hard stop and then back to position.

4.Release the CLOSE lever switch, then pull and hold the CLOSE lever again within 5 seconds.

5.As the CLOSE lever of the MySky switch is held, the panel will move to the fully closed position, then to the fully opened position and then fully closed again.

6.Initialization is complete. Release the MySky switch lever.

Instructions rewritten for the powered MySky Jeep Renegade. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My sunroof was also having issues. Gradually got worse and worse until the roof no longer closed without having to help force it. Dealership was useless... I took it in while jeep had warranty. Now that it's expired I busted out with my tools and had a look.

The front tracks were clean as a whistle. Removed panels, then removed the panel carrier that moves.... rear track was not as clean. More importantly, right track had a rubber block missing from the clasp. Found the rubber piece, reinstalled it. Lots of elbow grease later, tracks were spotless.I also widened the tracks a little with a screwdriver, to help give the claw a little more freeplay in the track .... Mysky now works as it should.

Photo is of the rear clamp/claw/carrier slide thingie that the panel attaches to. The front claw is motorized and is what the motor moves, the rear one, the troublesome one, just gets dragged along. it's freefloating, not connected to anything. Blue arrow shows where the rubber piece is missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
same thing happened with my 16 TH. Was told the cables needed to be replaced and to do it they need to take the whole sunroof off to get to the cables... gonna cost like $1500 🙄🙄 so not thrilled about that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We recently started having issues with our 2016 Renegade power roof. It would not close properly. About 1/2 way through the closing process it would start making a loud noise and would reach a certain point where it would stop and open completely. Several trips to the dealer later and their conclusion is that dirt and debris had gotten in the tracks and was causing the issue. I have a real problem with that because it seems like it is almost a design issue. I didn't pay 30K+ for a vehicle that has a retractable roof that I have to periodically disassemble and clean to maintain proper operation. It is working okay for now but if the problem returns I will definitely be considering trading for one without the My Sky roof.
my 2016 started to have issues with the sky roof opening and refused to close. it would start to close but make the noise and open back up. took it to the dealer to get fixed today. after about 1.5 hours of messing with it I was told the cables inside the track were twisted or maybe broken. I was quoted a price of $3,500 for the new track assembly! top that off it would take at least 45 days to get the part and 9 hours of labor for a cost of almost $5,000. To me this is a design flaw and all should be recalled and fixed for free! of course I am not going to have this done so dealer just got it shut, but it may leak during a heavy rain. This issue should be a recall!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts