Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy smookkkkkes! Since having this car it’s been an experience for me at the dealerships.. I have a 2017 Jeep Renegade and the My Sky roof have broke on me twice. First time it would slowly close and retract back half way until it wouldn’t close at all. I had to take it to the dealer ship to get fixed, I had warranty at the time and they told me that every once in awhile the sensor needs to be restarted or aligned because it can go off track. It’s been a year later and it’s started to do it again.. this time it broke broke, something popped out from the track and when I took it to the dealer they told me my car was no longer under warranty and it would cost $6500 to fix. I was so taken back, I thought it might have cost me $2000-$5000 maybe but $6500… it’s been a rough day. I live in Portland so I have to fix it because of the weather we get here. I’ve read other reviews and this shouldn’t be happening. I agree with everyone, i didn’t pay to continue to take my car to the dealership just to realign the sensor and pay $60 for every visit just for someone to tell me the same thing over and over again.

also, I had to replace my little round speaker cover on the back driver door because it some how fell off and one the clips broke. It cost $80! You would thinks it was $50 the most. I can’t believe it..I was so close to paying off my car and this just added to the cost..

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
With all the complaints here on this forum alone (and I imagine there are other forums out there) with people's MySky breaking constantly, there SHOULD be a recall on it. I am constantly afraid now every time I open mine - wondering if it will close.

The first thing I do every season is take the panels off and lube the crap out of the tracks and everything else I can see that is associated with MySky. It's nerve wracking looking at all these posts concering the MySky.

Do they even come on Renegades anymore?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My skyroof is broke too, an radiator coolant fan just went,but recall on that, what the he'll did I purchase 😳 😐 I'm not happy with the renegade,after I pay it off, I'm going to toyota! I have had many jeeps, but the renegade is junk, thanks FIAT

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
With all the complaints here on this forum alone (and I imagine there are other forums out there) with people's MySky breaking constantly, there SHOULD be a recall on it.
As far as I know, "recalls" are for safety issues. So, I doubt it...

Otherwise, certain specific items may get after-the-fact extended warranties to keep customers happy -- like VW Mk5 turbo engine intake manifolds that kept failing, despite VW constantly "improving" them. The extended warranty was for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Sometimes manufacturers issue "service bulletins" to dealers advising them how to fix common issues. Not necessarily for free, but usually...

I don't know if there's another method.

If it was me, I'd be screaming to Jeep Cares or Jeep Wave, needling them for a solution...

I'm not sure. My 2021 Owner's Manual still describes the MySky, along with the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof.

But the 2021 brochure only mentions the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof, as part of the Sun/Sound Group option.

For several years I believe both were offered...

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Yup, I stand corrected. Something should be done with the amount of failures people keep experiencing on them though. Is it a bad engineering design or, does it fall on the customer for lack of maintenance? I've got to look at my '17s owners manual to see if there is some sort of mention about proper maintenance of a MySky roof system.....

As far as I know, "recalls" are for safety issues. So, I doubt it...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Is it a bad engineering design
Seeing as how many have been failing, yes, I'd say so. No modern piece of equipment should be failing like this, or need some sort of exotic mysterious maintenance to keep it from failing.

I would have guessed the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof was Jeep's improvement on MySky; except that both seemed to have been available for a few years simultaneously.

My 2021 Owner's Manual strangely doesn't seem to describe removing the MySky glass panels. Can they be removed without power-opening them? If so, if I had a MySky, I'd keep it closed all the time... And just remove the front panel on those special occasions... :)

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
I've removed just the front panel on occasion. The wind buffeting noise is insane. It's either both removed or, none. It's strange because power opening the front panel does not induce the same crazy wind buffeting noise that removing it does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Holy smookkkkkes! Since having this car it’s been an experience for me at the dealerships.. I have a 2017 Jeep Renegade and the My Sky roof have broke on me twice. First time it would slowly close and retract back half way until it wouldn’t close at all. I had to take it to the dealer ship to get fixed, I had warranty at the time and they told me that every once in awhile the sensor needs to be restarted or aligned because it can go off track. It’s been a year later and it’s started to do it again.. this time it broke broke, something popped out from the track and when I took it to the dealer they told me my car was no longer under warranty and it would cost $6500 to fix. I was so taken back, I thought it might have cost me $2000-$5000 maybe but $6500… it’s been a rough day. I live in Portland so I have to fix it because of the weather we get here. I’ve read other reviews and this shouldn’t be happening. I agree with everyone, i didn’t pay to continue to take my car to the dealership just to realign the sensor and pay $60 for every visit just for someone to tell me the same thing over and over again.

also, I had to replace my little round speaker cover on the back driver door because it some how fell off and one the clips broke. It cost $80! You would thinks it was $50 the most. I can’t believe it..I was so close to paying off my car and this just added to the cost..

·
Registered
2 Posts
With all the complaints here on this forum alone (and I imagine there are other forums out there) with people's MySky breaking constantly, there SHOULD be a recall on it. I am constantly afraid now every time I open mine - wondering if it will close.

The first thing I do every season is take the panels off and lube the crap out of the tracks and everything else I can see that is associated with MySky. It's nerve wracking looking at all these posts concering the MySky.

What do you use to grease it up each season? I’d like to start doing that because mine has started doing this, but has resolved itself by just giving it a minute or two. I’m afraid of having one of these horror stories because I live in Michigan and can’t afford to have it broke for too long.

·
Super Moderator
2,225 Posts
Highly recommend taking the roof rails off and clearing out the drainage channels too.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
While this certainly doesn't help, I believe the MySky system falls under the old joke, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that.". So, if you can get your MySky to close; leave it closed. Act like you don't even have it. Because apparently it will fail at some point. You're rolling the dice each time you open it.

Frustrating ? Most certainly. You should be able to use something for which you paid good money. But it seems this system always breaks with the panels open, not closed. Rain will be your worst enemy in this case. So close it and leave it closed.

Jeep/Fiat is aware and it's obvious they don't care by the astronomical cost of repair. If the same exact system repeatedly breaks on several vehicles, it can no longer be directed at "customer abuse/misuse" or whatever they are telling themselves. Crappy design and crappy execution. The remove and clean the tracks every few months is indicative of crappy execution; why is junk getting in there in the first place ?!? Crappy design. Vehicle owners should not have to compensate for the inept vehicle designers; they get paid well enough.

So leave it closed; treat it as if it's already broken. By all means you should be able to use it as intended. You can be "right" and use it until it breaks and pay the high price, but I'd much rather be "wrong" and have a dry interior with no money out of pocket. Unfair, yes, but they hold the parts and the price. They got us.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: Marek K

·
Registered
4 Posts

It is so bad and shameful to sell a car with such a bad roof. Remember. It's NOT a Jeep, it's a FIAT. PIECE OF CRAP. I had my roof repaired last fall. I will NEVER open it again.Never!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts