Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you forum in advance for any help - am now feeling desperate enough to go to the Dealership tomorrow. 2015 Jeep Renegade My Sky has been pathetically slow to open/close since I bought it used last year. Then it started stutter/stopping as it closed. Very suspenseful. If only I had known to check for debris and frequently grease it, etc. Alas! Last night, when pressing the button to close, it would part-way close, then open again. We tried “helping it” close by physically pulling it. My boyfriend got on top of the car and really tried to push it closed with his feet even. All failed. It insists on being open. Then, I read the threads and did my research and cleaned/greased the rails. I found a correct Allen wrench and removed the little plastic disc in the middle of the ceiling and revealed the special opening to crank the roof closed manually. It turned easily (car is off). It was all very exciting. And then…..nothing.
MY SKY IS STILL STUCK OPEN!
Any more thoughts or ideas? Turning manual option makes a winding noise, nothing more. Power button now does nothing either. Perhaps we disengaged/broke something with the physical pushing.

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Check the MySky repair thread.
There are plastic brackets that can snap.
They can be sourced from China for a reasonable price. Dealer will charge >2000 to install a new roof kit which has new rails etc and those brackets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar experience today with my 2017 Renegade. I’ve read all the other threads, but nothing has helped so far. The roof has been acting a little sluggish on a couple other occasions. After reading the threads on here, I cleaned and greased the tracks… still sluggish. Then today, it just stayed open and would not close. The power mechanism makes noises, but it moves only about an inch and stayed in that position. I tried the manual close technique, with the hex wrench counterclockwise… I could feel it turn, but it didn’t close the roof at all. At that point though, the power motor no longer did anything. It only makes a brief sound when pushed to close, but does not move or make any real attempt to close. Pressing open does nothing. Out of frustration I began pushing and pulling it back and forth over that inch of play it had and it eventually slid closed. It was difficult to move, but also appeared to have no obstructions. It did not sound like anything snapped or broke off at any point. Once closed by hand, I removed both panels and ensured that the tracks were completely clean and greased and put them back on. Now I’m scared to try to reset it or even attempt to open it again. Has anyone had this same situation happen with the manual close method? Isn’t it supposed to open/close the roof by turning it? Does turning that bolt also turn off the electronic mechanism?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts