Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, that was fast. About 300 miles in and kaput. Driving on the freeway and there was a strong fluid smell coupled with a few strange transmissions shifts. Crazy warnings about servicing all of the following: hill start assist, transmission, engine. Managed to get off an exit and then the car seemed stuck in first or second, I'm not sure. Towed to the dealer, which of course the service dept is now closed. So I'm carless till monday.

I call my wife and she starts googling finding out that the 9 Speed transmission is the same as in the cherokee which is having all kinds of problems. If I had known that I never in a million years would have bought this car. I bought it to go out into the middle of nowhere, from which now, I apparently would not have returned.

So not happy and all I wish right is that it was a week ago and I still had my old GTI.

Anybody know of any recourse? Can I get out of this somehow? Get a new car? How can I trust it from now on...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry to hear about these troubles. Hopefully Jeep will get it fixed quickly for you. And I hate to say it but this is one reason why I want to wait a while for Jeep to work out the bugs. And this is also good reason why I wish they would offer a 6 speed manual transmission on the 2.4 engine. Why they only offer a 9 speed automatic tranny on that engine is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I got a decent deal and yeah I loved the thing. But man I wish I had known about the transmission issues. I feel like a fool. I was reticent about buying 1) any jeep 2) a new model from Jeep 3) a new model from Jeep built in a new factory in Italy. I probably should have listened to myself.

Reading about the problems with the transmission makes me feel like I can't trust this car anymore. Clearly this is an ongoing and recurring problem that Chrysler can't fix. This is a 30k car that left me stranded 300 miles in.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Give them a chance to fix it; maybe it's nothing serious. Many Renegades are out there without any problems.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give them a chance to fix it; maybe it's nothing serious. Many Renegades are out there without any problems.
We'll see, but after reading about the 9-speed transmission issues I'm pretty sure this is what happened to me. Given the amount of warnings, the insanity in the shifting and the the fluids, it seemed pretty serious. There was fluid everywhere. Even as they put it on flatbed there was stuff still dripping out of it.

Honestly - this is a huge safety issue. It crapped out on the freeway luckily, where I could keep going kind of. if I had been pulling out at a light or stop sign and it died, I could have been killed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I could have been killed.
:rolleyes: hyperbolic in the extreme.

If you were as old as me, you'd remember a time when cars built in the 1960's only went 500-1000 miles between physical tune-ups and died before 100K.

The 2014 Cherokee AT trans has had a failure rate of approximately 2%. ( WAY too high for a something new )
The jury is still out on where the 2015 Cherokee & 2015 Renegade AT failure rate is at.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

If you were as old as me, you'd remember a time when cars built in the 1960's only went 500-1000 miles between physical tune-ups and died before 100K.

The 2014 Cherokee AT trans has had a failure rate of approximately 2%. ( WAY too high for a something new )
The jury is still out on where the 2015 Cherokee & 2015 Renegade AT failure rate is at.
Do you work for GM? Not hyperbolic at all. When your car decides to either suddenly lose power, or downshift to what felt like first at 50mph, then call me. The scenario is this - let's say turning left out onto a busy street, you get halfway through the intersection and your car stops. That's it. Tell me that's not dangerous. Maybe you live in the country somewhere, but here in the city that kind of thing will kill you.

As for failure rate, at one point Chrysler was replacing 10-15 transmissions a week because of this. http://www.autonews.com/article/20150202/OEM01/302029930/another-fix-for-jeeps-troubled-9-speed

Honda recalled the Acura TXL using the 9-speed ZF, although for a different issue. http://blog.caranddriver.com/holy-s...ases-third-software-update-for-jeep-cherokee/

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had engines detonate while driving in the high speed lane and tire blow out while passing 18-wheelers.
The adventures of youth, little money and clapped out cars is endless. ;)

My point was that cars used to have catastrophic failures far more often than current ones do.
People didn't enjoy it back then, but it didn't kill them either.

·
Registered
164 Posts

The jury is still out on where the 2015 Cherokee & 2015 Renegade AT failure rate is at.[/quote]

I remember putting plugs in the 1978 FIAT 128 at 5000 mile intervals and I still want a Renegade. I think this is a software fault and should be a rare occurrance. It does make me wonder if I will want an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you were as old as me, you'd remember a time when cars built in the 1960's only went 500-1000 miles between physical tune-ups
If you gapped the points correctly, if you set the timing correctly and, replaced the cap, rotor, condenser, plugs and plug wires the mileage interval was much longer. Ah, and don't forget the cam lube.

Now we are going to have someone ask what points are. :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, until you're the one killed. I understand his stance. I've been there. And add babies in the back.....

Now Aardvark, let's bring this to the real issue. If the rengade had a manual tranny, would you still condemn the whole car? Probably not. So I think the real issue is with the tranny, not the Renegade. It still a great trail jeep, just 1 bad component. A very important component, yes. But just 1.

So lets get it fixed and see how it goes? If you're not happy, then the fight to change it out is worth it.

Best wishes. I'm on your side.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, until you're the one killed. I understand his stance. I've been there. And add babies in the back.....

Now Aardvark, let's bring this to the real issue. If the rengade had a manual tranny, would you still condemn the whole car? Probably not. So I think the real issue is with the tranny, not the Renegade. It still a great trail jeep, just 1 bad component. A very important component, yes. But just 1.

So lets get it fixed and see how it goes? If you're not happy, then the fight to change it out is worth it.

Best wishes. I'm on your side.
Thanks, JFS. Good point, and hopefully it will be a simple fix. I'm not condemning the whole car, I do really like it. It could the unicorn combination of both a great city and off road car. Let's see what they say tomorrow.

But the reliability makes me nervous now. I bought the car specifically to take off road when go camping or hiking. We could easily be 40-50 miles out into the desert away from the nearest town or way up in the mountains somewhere. This is what we do on the weekends. This event just doesn't inspire a lot confidence and nothing like this should happen in a brand new car.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Let's wait and see what the issue is first before sending the Renegade off to the gallows. It could be as much as a lose clamp our bad seal. I had the transmission start leaking on my Abarth at 9K miles and at the time the new 500's were having rear main seal leaking issues because of an improper groove machined for the seal. Thankfully mine wasn't the seal but they did have to reseal the fith gear housing.

This is exactly why I'm waiting and an extended warranty is a must. This does raise some eyebrows and your worry is certainly valid, but let's find out what the issue is first and keep out eyes peeled to see if this becomes epidemic before raising torches and pitch forks.

Please keep is up to date!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let's wait and see what the issue is first before sending the Renegade off to the gallows. It could be as much as a lose clamp our bad seal. I had the transmission start leaking on my Abarth at 9K miles and at the time the new 500's were having rear main seal leaking issues because of an improper groove machined for the seal. Thankfully mine wasn't the seal but they did have to reseal the fith gear housing.

This is exactly why I'm waiting and an extended warranty is a must. This does raise some eyebrows and your worry is certainly valid, but let's find out what the issue is first and keep out eyes peeled to see if this becomes epidemic before raising torches and pitch forks.

Please keep is up to date!
Consider the pitchforks lowered. :)

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.