Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I been waiting all week to write this post. I want to be completely sure it wasn't a fluke.

It's been 3 weeks since I got my 2016 TH. The first 200 mile there was a definite 'kick' aka rough shift. This kick was only felt in the first shift. Since TH's start in 2nd gear from a stop... I presume this is the 2-3rd gear shift.

The rough shift only happened during gentle driving. I guess that's why I didn't feel or remember it during my test drive. I was a little concerned and I mentioned it many times in previous posts. According to FCA folklore, the transmission will learn a driving style. Some members say it's a myth and it's not learning, and the kick is something to live with or worst...

Well I can tell everyone that for me... the kick is GONE and the transmission shifts smoothly. I done about 60 miles of suburban driving, from really gentle acceleration when no one is around me, to fast acceleration from a stop light. My TH now shifts smoothly all the way thru the gears.

The temps in Chicagoland have hovered around freezing since day one so I don't see ambient temps as a factor. For the record my 2016 has a build date of October 2015. So if anyone is worry about rough shifts, the computers might smooth it out after learning your habits. As always this worked for me and might not work for you.

Now after writing this I probably jinxed myself and something will go wrong. Oh well :laugh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Renegade Latitude with about 20k miles on it since July 2015 and still have the hard shift problem along with a very heavy vibration that shakes the entire tailgate (audibly). I brought it in to the dealer multiple times with no remedy... sometimes it would even go away on it's own, but ultimately returning when I thought I had it beat. The most recent visit to the dealer, they reset the "learned transmission" and it is supposed to be relearning my driving, but I've since put about 300 miles on it and still receive the kick AND hesitation (usually at the worst possible time when on the interstate switching lanes). I've brought this concern all the way up to Jeep customer care and they are working with me and the dealer to come to some sort of solution. I recommend anyone else having the same issues past the first 500 miles should contact them as well with their concerns. Quite honestly, I'd rather the Jeep not attempt to learn my driving patterns because they change drastically every day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This happens to me from time to time. But I don't pay too much attention to it. I guess I should. I know most new cars have this transmission that learns your driving style. I'll pay attention for the next couple weeks and if no change I'll join you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This happens to me from time to time. But I don't pay too much attention to it. I guess I should. I know most new cars have this transmission that learns your driving style. I'll pay attention for the next couple weeks and if no change I'll join you.
My driving style changes ones the engine is hot, so after about 30 minutes of highway driving. That must confuse the **** out of the transmission every single day. My drivings style also changes depending on road type and traffic. I would imagine my transmission to become confused, frustrated and to behave incessantly erratic.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My driving style changes ones the engine is hot, so after about 30 minutes of highway driving. That must confuse the **** out of the transmission every single day. My drivings style also changes depending on road type and traffic. I would imagine my transmission to become confused, frustrated and to behave incessantly erratic.
I posted an article previously where one of the engineers that was involved with the design of the transmission stated that it only takes a minute to respond to your driving habits, not hours or days like some post.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I posted an article previously where one of the engineers that was involved with the design of the transmission stated that it only takes a minute to respond to your driving habits, not hours or days like some post.
Imagine there were two drivers and learning the driving style were to take 50 miles each time. I guess they could have a transmission memory setting for different drivers along with presets for mirror, seats and steering wheel,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.