Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Renegade Latitude and have an issue with the MySky motorized panel. I made the mistake of hitting the open button while the panels were removed and the clips that pull the roof panel back have broken.
It seems like there should be a failsafe for such an easy mistake but now I’m left wondering how much this will cost. Is there a simple repair or does the entire roof need to be replaced?
I have a picture of the broken track piece below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
421 Posts
Hey! I’m gonna be enthusiastic about this post.

The same exact thing happened to me 4 days after purchase. Same exact part in same exact location. I’ve been fooling around with it for months now with the dealerships and here’s what I can tell you.

Unfortunately, the part isn’t sold by itself. I’ve searched almost every website for it (new and used) with no luck. The only way to get the part is by buying the new sunroof and having it installed (dealership estimated $4500, which definitely isn’t happening for a single plastic part).

I’ve been trying many different solutions including fabricating a metal bracket to wrap around the motorized prong. I tried epoxying the bracket on, but it wasn’t strong enough. I tried drilling into the broken sunroof part to screw it in, but ended up shattering it more.

DO NOT DRILL INTO IT!

I’m currently trying something new, JB Weld PlasticWeld. It’s a putty based epoxy that I’m hoping will work better of gripping the mechanism and holding it in place. However, I had to buy it online as no stores carried it I found.

I applied it a while ago and I’m going to let it cure overnight. I’ll let you know how it goes in the morning.

Hope we stay in touch with this. I’ll be glad to tell you everything else I learned about this too. Finally, someone’s in the same boat as me now ;)

P.s. my phone camera is cracked so my images will be slightly out of focus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeepatron,

Thanks for reaching out. It’s crazy how no one is talking about this issue.They must either be taking it straight to the dealer or give up. I find it hard to believe that there’s not more people out there with the same issue.
I impressed with all of the different ideas you’ve come up with. Sorry to hear that they haven’t worked out. Have you tried rigging up a metal hose clamp?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I’ve always thought about the hose clamp idea, but I wasn’t sure if there was room on the sides of the bracket for something additional. When the roof is slid forward all the way, it all lowers down into the mechanism. From what I’ve seen, there’s almost no room for a hose clamp, but you’re still welcome to give it a shot.

The putty I applied last night is cured and has seemed to have finally done the trick. It pushes and pulls along reliably. I haven't tested it yet with the sunroof frame bolted on (because there’s a different issue on the other bracket that needs fixing first), but I believe that it will absolutely work.

Best of luck, we’re gonna get this fixed for good!

Edit: This worked for a while, but gave up. It wasn't going to last. Avoid doing this.

·
Registered
2016 Trailhawk
1 Posts
After a million searches everywhere that I could think of, I finally came across this. Mine had been sluggish for some time after 4.5 years of constant use in nice weather, but I am a bit lazy/careless sometimes when it comes to my own items. Finally, I was driving through Michigan's UP toward Marquette, about to hit a gnarly rainstorm, and it happened: the roof was STUCK open. Wouldn't move. The passenger side would make a small motion, but only that side, and it quickly gave up. The driver's side was bound/stuck. The manual close (via allen key) mechanism did nothing. Finally I had to force the SOB shut by grabbing the roof rail and pushing from the rear when it broke, and gave me exactly what is in the picture^^^. The 'cable' that runs from the motor to the part in question got snagged on the end of its braided cable housing right at the motor, which prevented it from moving into the housing to shut the roof.

I'm definitely going to look into your fixes, or see if I can't print or machine a fix as well. I believe I've seen the part in the obnoxiously crappy OEM parts diagram, but it still lists it at ~$170 if I'm not mistaken. And the 8000+ page PDF manual I have doesn't go into an ounce of detail about the MySky outside of what your printed manual shows.

If I remember to, I will try to document everything and let y'all know what I end up with as a fix. Currently, I've had to remove the headliner, which was... ...a learning opportunity for me, to say the least.

tl;dr - Same issue, working to fix it. Not much else to add other than that I want to help and share once I find a solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took my Deserthawk in today & got the response that the entire MySky unit would need to be replaced for $3,600 :(. You would think that by this time, Jeep would be making replacement parts for these.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I want to write this to make you aware that you can find this part on aliexpress for about 40 dollars. No need to spend so much money on replacing the whole thing
1pc for Jeep Renegade sunproof Clip Slideway Bracket bucklet Cable Original Genuine 77368445 77368446 |Sunroof, Convertible & Hardtop| - AliExpress
God bless you. You have no clue how many people have been frustrated for this single broken piece (including me) only for the dealership to tell them it's a $2000 fix. Just ordered mine.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
714 Posts
God bless you. You have no clue how many people have been frustrated for this single broken piece (including me) only for the dealership to tell them it's a $2000 fix. Just ordered mine.
Im only assuming your JB Weld eventually failed if you went ahead and ordered the new piece from AliExpress? I’ll be curious to see how the new piece works out for you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Im only assuming your JB Weld eventually failed if you went ahead and ordered the new piece from AliExpress? I’ll be curious to see how the new piece works out for you.
Yep it did fail. Worked good for a bit though, but it didn't last. Maybe with a little extra work something could be made to last longer. However, I'm definitely throwing in those new clips for sure. My only concern is that I have no clue on where to start on getting the old ones out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow im surprised i found info on this piece of plastic crap... mine broke similiar to all ur guys stories combined wouldnt close right maybe half way was about to pour, had to force it shut once mistakenly opened it again was working fine until snap! im def keeping an eye on this thread will order the ali express once and report back with results..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow im surprised i found info on this piece of plastic crap... mine broke similiar to all ur guys stories combined wouldnt close right maybe half way was about to pour, had to force it shut once mistakenly opened it again was working fine until snap! im def keeping an eye on this thread will order the ali express once and report back with results..
Take a look at this thread. I managed to fix the common problem. Working on a write up on how to fix it, but it’s taking some time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts