Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having an issue with freeway driving. Both panels are off, flying down the freeway at 70MpH, and my ears are about to explode. Not only that, its a pretty rough ride besides. I noticed that the vehicle shakes/vibrates pretty bad, and I was sure I was going to damage the interior piece that runs in the middle of the panels. It was shaking and loud, like it was not attached. The vibrations from that are what I think was causing the vibrations through the rest of Renegade. It was pretty bad, placing my hand on the door and watching my drivers side mirror I could feel and see the vibrations.

So, is this normal? Am I not going to be making future road trips with the panels off. That would be a bad deal!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just my Jeep at the end of June, July was rainy, now the nice weather starts, plan to keep the panels of most of the time, but want to hit the highway too. My Jeeps been in the shop twice now, don't want to make it a third, unless its completely necessary.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Try dropping the rear windows an inch or two. This should stop the buffeting.
Roof out at highway speeds is always going to be blustery on any vehicle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine does similar, both panels off anything above 60 the middle section of roof sort of thumps (opening all windows helps a bit but doesn't eliminate the thumps (I can only see it, I don't have any noise beyond the obvious wind noise). I'm not overly worried and have the extended warranty which I assume will cover any issue should it arise, however I have to wonder what it will look like when I have say 60k miles on the Jeep as I always have my panels off. I've also wondered why Jeep chose to have the whole interior ceiling be headliner, it would have been a better call to have that middle section be a hard plastic more security attached to the vehicle, could even have put some speakers in there, but oh well. I say you probably bought a Jeep partly for that open to the outside experience (I know that was a big reason I chose the Renegade), use it for what it is and hope for the best! We only live once right?

·
Registered
104 Posts
One needs to think about the dynamics of the airflow over the roof while the vehicle is in motion. Opening the back windows a couple inches is only way to prevent that thumping / vibrating.

Reactions: Lackadazikal

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'm having an issue with freeway driving. Both panels are off, flying down the freeway at 70MpH, and my ears are about to explode. Not only that, its a pretty rough ride besides. I noticed that the vehicle shakes/vibrates pretty bad, and I was sure I was going to damage the interior piece that runs in the middle of the panels. It was shaking and loud, like it was not attached. The vibrations from that are what I think was causing the vibrations through the rest of Renegade. It was pretty bad, placing my hand on the door and watching my drivers side mirror I could feel and see the vibrations.

So, is this normal? Am I not going to be making future road trips with the panels off. That would be a bad deal!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just my Jeep at the end of June, July was rainy, now the nice weather starts, plan to keep the panels of most of the time, but want to hit the highway too. My Jeeps been in the shop twice now, don't want to make it a third, unless its completely necessary.
I just purchased a Renegade back panel blew off the first day I drove it.

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Always, always check the MySky panels by pushing up on them/punching them from the inside after putting them back and re-latching them.

They don't get the MySky clip on spoiler in the US.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.