Jeep Renegade Forum banner

MySky Sunroof Issue

37K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Tracey 
#1 ·
I've got a 2015 Trailhawk. We had some great weather here yesterday and had the sunroof open. When I got home it would close halfway then open and seem to really be struggling to close around halfway. After about 30 minutes of messing with it I finally got it to close with a little assistance. Less than 1000 miles to warranty expiration I was able to get it in and get the mileage documented and an appointment setup. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Reactions: deejeeper
#2 ·
Just spoke with the dealership and they said the sunroof not closing all the way was related to the new weatherproofing seals. They said it needed to be adjusted to fit the new seals... Sounds odd to me as when the roof was closing it would begin to struggle then stop and fully open again like something was making it work harder. Also had them look at an issue where when on a call using bluetooth when I would apply the brakes I would get a buzzing sound over the speakers. Said that was a ground wire issue and they were having trouble tracking down the culprit.

#3 ·
not sure but if the new seals sit higher then the old ones - then the roof would have to work harder to push/moosh down to make a tight seal - they could be correct - or maybe just maken stuff up lol

i dont have the mysky or sunroof or any of that silly stuff .. and thank goodness i opted not to get it, so i dont have to deal with these things

if i wanted to see the sky i would just walk around with my head tilted up . i dont need air on my head while driving or sun burning my scalp hahaha i can do that at the beach !! i never opened any of my other sunroofs on the cars i had - the only thing i ever used was the soft tops/ hard tops on my past jeeps - thats the only way to do it

anyways hope they fix the lil bugger

#20 ·
not sure but if the new seals sit higher then the old ones - then the roof would have to work harder to push/moosh down to make a tight seal - they could be correct - or maybe just maken stuff up lol

i dont have the mysky or sunroof or any of that silly stuff .. and thank goodness i opted not to get it, so i dont have to deal with these things

if i wanted to see the sky i would just walk around with my head tilted up . i dont need air on my head while driving or sun burning my scalp hahaha i can do that at the beach !! i never opened any of my other sunroofs on the cars i had - the only thing i ever used was the soft tops/ hard tops on my past jeeps - thats the only way to do it

anyways hope they fix the lil bugger
isn't that saying I had opted for no engine because I had air filter problem? Gee I'm sure glad I didn't get an engine! I love my Sky sun roof. All the enjoyment out of it. One problem it wants to stay vented. I love jeeps because they are awesome and fun with tinkering is all part of the jeep experience. Just a thought.

Does any one here have actual advice for the roof staying vented won't close all the way in rear pops up about 2 inches. I think it likely me not clear on closing. I got this recently had a 2017 Wrangler.

#4 ·
He said the first time they replaced the seals they had to take the liner down on the inside of the jeep which may have caused an issue I reported to them as well with getting feedback through the speakers while on a call and using the brakes. He said the first time they did the seals the glue didn't set right and that is why the sunroof was struggling to close. Seems fine now. They couldn't identify the issue with the bluetooth. They did fix the visor issue though. The buzzing while annoying and I seem to be the only one who notices it isn't that big of a deal. Just glad to have it back. Weather is about right to open the tops.

#5 ·
Hi folks, my renegade 2016 sunroof get stuck in an open position. Had to seriously struggle with it.
Dealership says it is because there is mud and debris accumulated inside the sunroof rails. The only way to clean this is to dismantle the sunroof and clean underneath. While I understand that the debris is the reason for the issue, Jeep has no answer as to why or how the mud and debris get there. They Tel me it is a use issue. 4x4 car, parked on a driveway in a standard street, used for the family. Makes no sense to me how does the way we use the car can cause this (I do not drive it upside down, honest!!).
Any ideas as to what can the reason for this?
Thanks

#6 ·
We get dirty, sandy rain here a lot. That silt could easily get washed in there.

I'm starting to worry a lot about MySky.

Anyone else notice how much water accumulates in the "tubs" around the 2 openings?

When you drive off down hill, after it's rained or you've washed the car, water overflows onto the
windscreen and also down both front side windows.

Just no enough drainage from up there in my view. :(

#8 ·
Mine wouldn't shut today. Yay!!!!

Sahara sand rained here this week and I did run the car through the wash yesterday too.

Seemed to be struggling and then fail-safe-ing.
Managed to close it by revving engine for max electrical output and pulsing the switch to close it inch by inch.

At home I took off both MySky panels. The front runners are all well greased with factory-clean grease.
The rear runners were sandy and not a hint of grease. So I cleaned and then lubed them up.
Re-fitted both panels and the front one is working normally again.

Will flag it at at the service even if it doesn't happen again.

#9 ·
Drains may be clogged if you are getting that much water wash from the roof. I've not had any issues since they fixed it at the dealership. If you are under warranty still and they are not taking the issues seriously I would contact JeepCares.

#10 ·
Will mention it when it goes in for service.

Sunny today so MySky is off!
Have noticed the velcro holding the headliner in position have come unstuck but it's not going to spoil the day.
Just smiles and remembering why I bought this car in the 1st place! :D

#19 ·
Will mention it when it goes in for service.

Sunny today so MySky is off!
Have noticed the velcro holding the headliner in position have come unstuck but it's not going to spoil the day.
Just smiles and remembering why I bought this car in the 1st place! :D
  1. I noticed the Velcro issue as well. In my case the headliner would vibrate when idling. I bought some double sided Gorilla tape (it's clear and feels like a gel) to adhere the Velcro to the body and headliner

#11 ·
Today was a beautiful sunny day, with the Fete of St Blaise celebrations going on in the village.

A good time for some Sunday car DIY !!!

I took both roofbars off the 75th!
Very easy. Just pop-off the caps, unscrew the bolts (Standard allen key, long-end and something to brace it.) and off it comes.
Also removed the 4 rubber gutter trim finishers. (Watch out for the tiny white plastic clips for the front ones.)
The rear ones are snapped onto the bars. The adhesive foam is not sticking to anything front or back so cleaned off most of this.

Cleared out all the leaf-litter, twigs and pine needles with air and also cleaned out as much of the silt as possible.
Then washed and waxing the gutters where I could get access front and back to leave a smooth hydrophobic surface.)

After that mini-mod time!

I cut longitudinal V-slots in the bottom of all the rubber trim finishers front and back to allow water to escape more easily.

Re-assembled everything and took the car for a full wash.

Water is now draining out of MySky quicker, front and back, via the guttering, under the trim finishers!

:)

#12 · (Edited)
Well yesterday coming home from work... I noticed that I have developed the same issue. The sunroof is starting to struggle to close. Sometimes it will get halfway closed and just reopen... Very annoying as this was "fixed" a year ago at the dealership as documented in this thread... @JeepCares any ideas?

#13 ·
Lube the daylights out of it regularly or trade out of it. i was having the same problem until the rail clips both broke...attached. the parts dept thinks i need to replace the entire rail system which is glued (not bolted) in place. my sky is a great idea but a horrible design.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have been having the same issue with my 2015 Jeep Renegade. My sunroof on the My Sky roof will close half way and then reopen. I was able to pull on it while it closes to assist in closing. But now I can't even pull on it to get it closed. It struggles to close half way and then reopens. Did anyone ever find a cause/solution for this?

#16 ·
I have this too. My sunroof was bouncing back open, so I held the button down to make it close. I did notice the front seal was starting to come off. I took it to the dealer today and they glued the seal back down and told me that I probably shouldn't use the sunroof any more. They lubed it and got spray grease on the armrest and outside window pillars on the doors. I get a real flood whenever there has been a rain and I drive off. It just streams down the outside of the car. I guess I'm lucky it doesn't flood the inside the way MINI sunroofs do. They told me it would cost quite a bit to fix this. I wouldn't recommend for anyone to buy this MySky roof.

#24 ·
I had the same issue, but I didn't catch it in time to use my warranty. The dealership charged me $700 to replace the motor and then told me I had to replace the rails which were another $1200. Told them I will just no use the sunroof. Not paying $1900 to replace something I hardly used. I should of been smart and opted out of the sky view. Definitely not worth the issues.

#25 ·
Before I traded the white 15 in for a black 19 I found that opening the sun roof and using a can of compressed air to clear the tracks and then manually closing the roof with the key would some how "reset/fix" the issue. I had the issue one more time after they fixed it under warranty but the warranty had expired by this point. You may try this and see if it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.