Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone had this problem and if they did how they solved/fixed it. Last week I was out of town visiting my family and, of course, showing off the Renegade. After my show and tell...I went to reclose the powered MySky...but it would only go forward a bit before completely reopening! We tried everything to get it to close, more lubrication, pushing on it...etc. I had used the powered MySky dozens of times before and never had an issue. We eventually forced it shut and never did find the the panel that opens that is supposed to allow you to Allen wrench the thing closed...according to the manual. I've been too scared to even try the power roof again. I am also afraid that once I get to the dealer it probably won't do a darn thing wrong. Winter is starting to set in here in Nebraska and and an open roof just won't do! Please let me know if anyone has had this problem and I look forward to hearing from you! Looking forward to having the wind back in my hair...and least in the afternoons yet!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone had this problem and if they did how they solved/fixed it. Last week I was out of town visiting my family and, of course, showing off the Renegade. After my show and tell...I went to reclose the powered MySky...but it would only go forward a bit before completely reopening! We tried everything to get it to close, more lubrication, pushing on it...etc. I had used the powered MySky dozens of times before and never had an issue. We eventually forced it shut and never did find the the panel that opens that is supposed to allow you to Allen wrench the thing closed...according to the manual. I've been too scared to even try the power roof again. I am also afraid that once I get to the dealer it probably won't do a darn thing wrong. Winter is starting to set in here in Nebraska and and an open roof just won't do! Please let me know if anyone has had this problem and I look forward to hearing from you! Looking forward to having the wind back in my hair...and least in the afternoons yet!

It is broken. take it back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's a safety feature that reverses the door if it meets any resistance closing. Did you check the track for anything that may be stopping it? An acorn or small twig could affect it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue! What did you do?

Hi,

I've had the same issue (since day 1) with my Renegade. It goes to close and makes a noise than opens back up. I've gone to the dealership many times and they've tried everything short of replacing the whole roof panel or car (which is the two options they're now considering) and nothing has worked. Did you ever solve the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Renegade MySky Won't Close

Difficult to find this thread using "Search" or even using Google, so I'm gonna start by throwing in a bunch of search terms.

Renegade MySky My Sky Won't Close Stuck Stopped Working Power Sunroof Broken Reset Re-initialization

Anyways, I was searching online for a way to reset the powered MySky sunroof panel on my 2016 Jeep Renegade after it became stuck in the open position. I Googled and Googled and Googled but came up with nothing. Then a light bulb went off in my head and I started Googling using all the same search terms as before but this time I replaced "Jeep Renegade" with "Fiat 500X". Almost immediately I found the answer!

If yours is stuck open, pull down on the "CLOSE" button and keep pulling it down. Might take 30 seconds or longer of constant pressure but then the panel will start to close 2 or 3 inches at a time. Don't take your finger off the button! Keep pulling down on the button and the MySky will finally close all the way and seat itself. That's it! Reset procedure complete.

And since this is my 1st post (joined the Forum this morning specifically to search for this issue) I might as well throw in a pic. Here's me and my Trailhawk leaving on a 1500-mile trip to Utah to go play on the slickrock ---->

NO PICS ALLOWED

LOL. The forum won't let a new member post pictures. That's pretty funny. What a great rule! I suppose we must protect the forum from whatever nasty picture the new guy was going to post.

:laugh:

Anyway, I hope this post helps somebody somewhere sometime in the future.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had this same issue after having some of the weather strips that were sagging replaced. The new strips had started coming loose from a poor install and were somehow binding the powered mysky. They redid the strips and reset the roof. No issues since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
We have had the same problem with our 2015 MySky roof. 1st time to dealer they 'cleaned' and 'greased'the tracks (kind of dumb in my mind, won't that only make the dirt and debris build up?). THe 2nd time, the reprogrammed the computerfor the sky roof. We saw all the 'fixes' to close the roof but none worked until we found the manual open/close screw which btw, is in the roof council behind the little button just behind the back seat. Oh and the key with the screw head isn't long enough! You need a T25 torx with a long shank.

With that said, has anyone tried to close their roof going over 40 mph? I have had to slow down to get it to close all the way, and it seems slower to close than any others I have had/seen. Hope this helps, and will look forward to hear others experiences.

Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
We have had the same problem with our 2015 MySky roof. 1st time to dealer they 'cleaned' and 'greased'the tracks (kind of dumb in my mind, won't that only make the dirt and debris build up?). THe 2nd time, the reprogrammed the computerfor the sky roof. We saw all the 'fixes' to close the roof but none worked until we found the manual open/close screw which btw, is in the roof council behind the little button just behind the back seat. Oh and the key with the screw head isn't long enough! You need a T25 torx with a long shank.

With that said, has anyone tried to close their roof going over 40 mph? I have had to slow down to get it to close all the way, and it seems slower to close than any others I have had/seen. Hope this helps, and will look forward to hear others experiences.

Gary
Dear Gary - Exactly WHERE is the location of the emergency sunroof opening for the Torx tool??? My sun roof is wacko and stuck open. I have the power my SKy roof on a 2016 Renny. You say it's in the roof council? What is that please? - Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Mine played up a few weeks ago.
Got it freed by cycling it back and forth
with the engine running.
Greased the rear tracks and it hasn't
played up since.

In the manual there's a reset procedure too:

INITIALISATION PROCEDURE
Following an automatic movement
malfunction while opening/closing or
after an emergency manoeuvre (see
description in the previous paragraph),
the automatic operation of the sun roof
must be initialised again.
Proceed as follows:
move the roof to fully closed position;
move the ignition device to STOP and
keep it there for 10 seconds;
move the ignition device to MAR;
press button A: fig. 39 in "closing"
position;
press the button for at least
10 seconds, then you should hear the
mechanical stop of the roof motor;
press the button A in the "closing"
position again within 5 seconds;
hold down button A: in this position,
the roof will perform an automatic
opening and closing cycle. Otherwise,
repeat the operations starting from the
beginning;
hold down button A until the roof is
completely closed: the initialisation
procedure has ended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you - I have the "USA" version, which does not include this instruction. I did find YOUR version online - so in case it may help others with this issue - but I only have 4 posts, so I can't post a link yet!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone! I’m new here but wanted to say this same problem has happened to me this week. I have a euro 2015 renegade with a glass roof which is different it seems to the US sky roof. The local dealer says that dirt has gathered under the rails so the roof needs to be lifted off to get in there and clean it out. I’m just wondering if its possible to do it myself and save me the £268! Anybody know how? I see loads of videos on how to get the ‘my sky’ roofs off but can’t seem to find one for the glass panoramic electric roof. Can anybody help or point me in the right direction please? :)

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Standard sunroofs shouldn't jam after 2 years.
And disassembling/assembling won't be easy.

The advantage/disadvantage of the MySky design is it's all open
so you can access everything quite readily.
Does the glass roof slide outside or between roof and headliner?

Is it not still under warranty? Get in touch with Jeep/FCA UK and complain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Standard sunroofs shouldn't jam after 2 years.
And disassembling/assembling won't be easy.

The advantage/disadvantage of the MySky design is it's all open
so you can access everything quite readily.
Does the glass roof slide outside or between roof and headliner?

Is it not still under warranty? Get in touch with Jeep/FCA UK and complain.
Thanks for your reply! I totally agree that it shouldn’t be jamming so soon. I’ve just dropped it off at a jeep service center and they say that because it’s dirt that’s gotten in there then it’s not covered by warranty but how can it be designed for the dirt to get in there in the first place is my question? The roof slides outside. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Call Jeep/FCA directly and make the point about design. Ask them to cover the cost and how they suggest to avoid the problem in future.

You don't ask, you don't get. ;)

Also, could you post some snaps of it open and closed? I couldn't find any!

:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine played up a few weeks ago.
Got it freed by cycling it back and forth
with the engine running.
Greased the rear tracks and it hasn't
played up since.

In the manual there's a reset procedure too:

INITIALISATION PROCEDURE
Following an automatic movement
malfunction while opening/closing or
after an emergency manoeuvre (see
description in the previous paragraph),
the automatic operation of the sun roof
must be initialised again.
Proceed as follows:
move the roof to fully closed position;
move the ignition device to STOP and
keep it there for 10 seconds;
move the ignition device to MAR;
press button A: fig. 39 in "closing"
position;
press the button for at least
10 seconds, then you should hear the
mechanical stop of the roof motor;
press the button A in the "closing"
position again within 5 seconds;
hold down button A: in this position,
the roof will perform an automatic
opening and closing cycle. Otherwise,
repeat the operations starting from the
beginning;
hold down button A until the roof is
completely closed: the initialisation
procedure has ended.
I believe this will only work for the renegades with a standard sunroof not the powered MySky. They have different/extra buttons for the sunroof versus a powered MySky. Is there a way to calibrate the powered MySky?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts