Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2021 Renegade with the Uconnect NAV system. I had previously owned a 2018 Renegade with the same NAV system with no issues. I live in New Jersey where we have traffic circles. My 2018 Jeep's NAV would zoom in when I entered a traffic circle so I could see the details. My 2021 Jeep zooms out when I enter a traffic circle, like to 4000 feet, so I cannot see anything. In both cars I had the automatic zoom set to off. How can I fix this?
2021-04-30 10.36.06.jpg
2021-04-30 10.18.07.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well, I'm not sure it's an issue with me too (in addition to my turn-by-turn problem which you have too), but I'm really scratching my head about the zoom feature on my brand-new Uconnect 4C.

Just got back from a trip from Colorado Springs down to eastern New Mexico and back. I am not happy with the zoom feature, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

With the RNS-510 nav system on my 2009 VW GLI, the system will automatically zoom in and out depending on the type of road I'm on -- that's whether I'm following route guidance or just displaying the map. It'll automatically zoom way out on an interstate, to a distance of five miles or so; then zoom way in on small roads or city streets. I can manually zoom in and out as necessary, but it'll go back to automatic dynamic zoom by itself after a short time.

With the Uconnect 4C, the "auto zoom" doesn't seem to be dynamic at all. I can set the "auto zoom" to near, medium, or far. But it just stays at that scale; and the "far" setting is still way too close for interstate driving. I can manually zoom out, but after a minute or so it automatically zooms back in. I don't want to disable the so-called "auto zoom," since I'd want it to automatically zoom in when I leave the interstate.

Am I missing something with a setting??

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Renegade Limited w/ Sun/Sound group
18 Posts
Lets face it, the UConnect NAV stinks. Its way behind what I can get from apps on my smartphone. Glad it was standard on the Renegade Limited because its not worth paying for separately like I had to on my Compass.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Understanding all the intrinsic drawbacks of a nav system integrated in the vehicle (availability and cost of updates, etc.), I still prefer having it rather than fumbling with my cell phone and Google Maps -- either through Bluetooth or sitting in a mount on my dashboard.

I'm not going to go as far yet as to say Uconnect 4C stinks. I'm wondering how many of my issues have to do with the fact that I'm just not all that familiar with the system yet, and that its Owner's Manual info and other documentation is really lacking in many areas. Maybe that counts as "stinks"...

If a software update -- as promised -- solves the issues, then it's all good. If not, then we'll revisit "stinks"... :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 2021 Jeep zooms out when I enter a traffic circle, like to 4000 feet, so I cannot see anything. In both cars I had the automatic zoom set to off.
I'm looking at your first post again. So you've got the auto zoom set to off, and it's dynamically zooming -- just the wrong way...? :unsure: And in your previous system (with auto zoom off) it would dynamically zoom like it's supposed to?

Is that with guidance working, or with just the map showing?

Does it otherwise dynamically zoom at intersections?

How about on Interstates vs. small streets?

Like I said, I had the auto zoom enabled, at various levels -- none of which were appropriate to Interstate travel. I haven't tried it with auto zoom off...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking at your first post again. So you've got the auto zoom set to off, and it's dynamically zooming -- just the wrong way...? :unsure: And in your previous system (with auto zoom off) it would dynamically zoom like it's supposed to?

Is that with guidance working, or with just the map showing?

Does it otherwise dynamically zoom at intersections?

How about on Interstates vs. small streets?

Like I said, I had the auto zoom enabled, at various levels -- none of which were appropriate to Interstate travel. I haven't tried it with auto zoom off...
That is correct, Marek. I tried the auto zoom and did not like it. The traffic circle zoom kicks in by itself whether the nav guidance is on or not. It does not do anything at intersections, small streets, or interstates.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is correct, Marek. I tried the auto zoom and did not like it. The traffic circle zoom kicks in by itself whether the nav guidance is on or not. It does not do anything at intersections, small streets, or interstates.
I agree regarding the auto zoom - not much use to me.

So your traffic circle zoom works with or without route guidance; and only works on traffic circles (except in your current case zooms the wrong way)? No dynamic zoom otherwise -- it just stays at the zoom level you've got it set on manually?

That's weird. I can see where you'd want to automatically zoom in on traffic circles, since there are so many configurations. But you'd also want it to auto-zoom in on small streets or when you're approaching any intersection...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree regarding the auto zoom - not much use to me.

So your traffic circle zoom works with or without route guidance; and only works on traffic circles (except in your current case zooms the wrong way)? No dynamic zoom otherwise -- it just stays at the zoom level you've got it set on manually?

That's weird. I can see where you'd want to automatically zoom in on traffic circles, since there are so many configurations. But you'd also want it to auto-zoom in on small streets or when you're approaching any intersection...
That is all true, Marek. I actually got pulled over by a policeman because of this. I only had the car for a few days and was in an unfamiliar traffic circle with the route guidance on. I did not realize that the nav had zoomed out so far and could not see the route guidance clearly and started to exit the traffic circle then realized that was the wrong exit and turned back in to the next exit. Apparently a policeman was in the circle at the time and did not like my maneuvers at all. He pulled me over and I explained that I was not familiar with the area and it was a new car and I was trying to follow the route guidance. He let me go and told me to be more careful. At that time, I was not even aware of the zoom out issue, I just knew I could not see which way to go.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Like I said, I need to go out and do some experimentation; with and without route guidance, and with auto zoom off.

We do have some traffic circles around here, and I'll see what it does on those.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So today I did try out the NAV system on traffic circles (or roundabouts, as it calls them). Found two that were pretty straightforward, with four roads radiating from each.

I had the auto zoom off. The NAV system didn't zoom in or out at all when approaching or in them; whether following route guidance or not.

When following route guidance, the system did properly announce the roundabout when approaching it, and to guide me to which exit to take off the roundabout. The dash mini-display also showed a diagram of the roundabout and the appropriate exit.

As usual, about half the time the mini-display didn't cancel...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts