Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so, it never really dawned on me to check out the speedometer's maximum speed. but I looked yesterday and saw that the max indicated is 160 MPH. I had a good laugh at this. Can I keep up with the Hellcat?

Seriously... 160 for this lil 2.4 liter 4-cylender engine.

Aerodynamics aside, I just don't see me ever getting close to pinning the needle on this thing. First off, I typically don't drive anywhere that would allow such reckless abandon with a heavy foot. Secondly, I have concerns about my safety at such speeds in this particular vehicle.

I can verify that it does ride nice and smooth at around 85 mph though. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm not sure the speedometers are made in relation to the vehicle's top speed. Most go higher than the vehicle's top speed I would guess.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure the speedometers are made in relation to the vehicle's top speed. Most go higher than the vehicle's top speed I would guess.
I'm quite certain of that. Especially in the case of the Renegade. I'm just laughing at the speedometer's maximum reading. There is no way possible to bury the needle unless we put some Hemi power under the hood.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm quite certain of that. Especially in the case of the Renegade. I'm just laughing at the speedometer's maximum reading. There is no way possible to bury the needle unless we put some Hemi power under the hood.
Did some quick number crunching.
The Renegade Trailhawk could ( in theory ) very well exceed the speedometers 160 MPH limit, the red line on the 2.4L is 6400 RPM.
At 160 MPH the engine RPM would be about 4,000 RPM
:)
http://www.crawlpedia.com/rpm_gear_calculator.htm
Tire Diameter: 28 Inches
Axle Gear Ratio: 4.334: 1
Transmission Ratio: 0.48 : 1
Vehicle Speed: 160 MPH
Engine Speed:3994 RPM

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I saw somewhere (maybe a YouTube video) where a Renegade driver was just able to get to 120 mph on the Autobahn. It took a long time to get to that speed from 100.

I wish the speedometer was matched to the vehicles' top speed. A 120 mph speedometer would make the lower speeds (where most drive) a little less crowded.

·
Registered
131 Posts
everyone's homework tonight is to see how fast your renegade can go...

I got it going once to 140km/h (87mph) I wasnt really trying that hard to see how much further I could take it though

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ok... so, it never really dawned on me to check out the speedometer's maximum speed. but I looked yesterday and saw that the max indicated is 160 MPH. I had a good laugh at this. :D

Do you think it has to do with the fact that it was manufactured in Europe? What does the Patriot, Cherokee, & Wrangler's speedometer go to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gauge go's up to 160 because you can change from miles to kilometers in the settings. So you may not be able to get it up to 160 mph, but I'm guessing you could peg it out at 160 kph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gauge go's up to 160 because you can change from miles to kilometers in the settings. So you may not be able to get it up to 160 mph, but I'm guessing you could peg it out at 160 kph.

any car Ive driven up here in Canada has the spedometer in KM and then a smaller set of slightly visable markings for miles... they obviously are different spot markings...

now, if the spedometer itself can change from KM to miles after you change the settings thats really cool. (I mean the actual spedometer and not the digital read out) but I doubt thats what happens...

any of my other cars Ive had usual give about 20 to 40 extra KM on the spedometer that I could never get the car to hit... I think the spedometer on mine goes to 240(km) which was funny... but left me curious...lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
The car manufacturer probably locked it to just below 160, around 150. Admittedly, I've tried maxing out one of my older cars in the past but it got stuck 10mph under the marked limit even while I was flooring it. You can probably have the option unlocked at a garage but it's not worth it unless you're going on track with your Jeep or you live in Germany with the no speed limit highway.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There is a video on you tube (link on this forum somewhere) of a diesel Trailhawk hitting 136 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's easy enough to figure out. Set it to kilometers and pull up the digital speedometer and check it against the gauge. I'll try it myself after work and let you know.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's easy enough to figure out. Set it to kilometers and pull up the digital speedometer and check it against the gauge. I'll try it myself after work and let you know.

No idea what that means?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

All renegades do more than 160kph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go into the vehicle settings and set the odometer to record in kilometers, then check the digital readout against the gauge if they both read the same then you'll know that the gauge recalibrates between mph & kph. That would explain the speedometer going up to 160.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Go into the vehicle settings and set the odometer to record in kilometers, then check the digital readout against the gauge if they both read the same then you'll know that the gauge recalibrates between mph & kph. That would explain the speedometer going up to 160.

? again I have no idea what that means?
They are not the same so why would they read the same?
All Renegades will exceed 160kph

1 - 20 of 37 Posts