Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Need for Speed!

13K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Grandpa Dude 
#1 ·
Ok... so, it never really dawned on me to check out the speedometer's maximum speed. but I looked yesterday and saw that the max indicated is 160 MPH. I had a good laugh at this. Can I keep up with the Hellcat?

Seriously... 160 for this lil 2.4 liter 4-cylender engine.

Aerodynamics aside, I just don't see me ever getting close to pinning the needle on this thing. First off, I typically don't drive anywhere that would allow such reckless abandon with a heavy foot. Secondly, I have concerns about my safety at such speeds in this particular vehicle.

I can verify that it does ride nice and smooth at around 85 mph though. :D

#6 ·
I saw somewhere (maybe a YouTube video) where a Renegade driver was just able to get to 120 mph on the Autobahn. It took a long time to get to that speed from 100.

I wish the speedometer was matched to the vehicles' top speed. A 120 mph speedometer would make the lower speeds (where most drive) a little less crowded.

#32 ·
I saw somewhere (maybe a YouTube video) where a Renegade driver was just able to get to 120 mph on the Autobahn. It took a long time to get to that speed from 100.
did 110 mph, jeep gets sloppy at that speed and slowed it down, still had 500rpms till red line
It was mentioned in one of the first posts in this topic about the Diesel engine getting high speed at lower revs.

I backed off at 110MPH with some power still available to try for a bit faster. Perhaps that's the benefit of having a Chip fitted and having a little extra Hp.

100MPH of UK roads is an instant ban for 1 year for speeding in a 70MPH MAX area.

It felt smooth but then again it was on the motorway on an almost flat calm day with no sidewinds to blow me around.

#12 ·
any car Ive driven up here in Canada has the spedometer in KM and then a smaller set of slightly visable markings for miles... they obviously are different spot markings...

now, if the spedometer itself can change from KM to miles after you change the settings thats really cool. (I mean the actual spedometer and not the digital read out) but I doubt thats what happens...

any of my other cars Ive had usual give about 20 to 40 extra KM on the spedometer that I could never get the car to hit... I think the spedometer on mine goes to 240(km) which was funny... but left me curious...lol

#13 ·
The car manufacturer probably locked it to just below 160, around 150. Admittedly, I've tried maxing out one of my older cars in the past but it got stuck 10mph under the marked limit even while I was flooring it. You can probably have the option unlocked at a garage but it's not worth it unless you're going on track with your Jeep or you live in Germany with the no speed limit highway.

#18 ·
Go into the vehicle settings and set the odometer to record in kilometers, then check the digital readout against the gauge if they both read the same then you'll know that the gauge recalibrates between mph & kph. That would explain the speedometer going up to 160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Ok... so, it never really dawned on me to check out the speedometer's maximum speed. but I looked yesterday and saw that the max indicated is 160 MPH. I had a good laugh at this. Can I keep up with the Hellcat?

Seriously... 160 for this lil 2.4 liter 4-cylender engine.

Aerodynamics aside, I just don't see me ever getting close to pinning the needle on this thing. First off, I typically don't drive anywhere that would allow such reckless abandon with a heavy foot. Secondly, I have concerns about my safety at such speeds in this particular vehicle.

I can verify that it does ride nice and smooth at around 85 mph though. :D
did 110 mph, jeep gets sloppy at that speed and slowed it down, still had 500rpms till red line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.