Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished upgrading all of my interior bulbs to LED, no problems. Then I replaced the reverse bulbs and tail light/turn-signal bulbs with LEDs. No issues with the reverse bulbs, but the brake light bulbs cause an error on the dash. I’ve tested them and they appear to blink normally on the exterior, but when I activate the turn-signal, it goes at twice the rate on the interior.

I know I need to splice load resistors to clear the error messages, but I’ve been unable to find either a clear diagram or a YouTube video demonstrating how to do this properly. I’m still a novice when it comes to auto electrical, so I’m hoping someone here will have ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Like you I successfully changed all the exterior front and interior bulbs. The rear has flashed up the error codes even though they were a little more expensive than the usual "canbus error free" readily available bulbs.

I am happy to wait till someone finds the correct bulbs as opposed to using resistors. I like the simple route to fixing my lights ie a bulb change.

Too often I attended and extinguished car fires caused by electrical issues and I am unwilling to put myself in that situation.

I wish you great success in your venture and will watch for more of your posts (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L (Former Vehicle)
751 Posts
search for “resistor for brake light” and a bunch of options come up (some expensive and some not).

On my ‘07 Yukon I had to use resistors on my suspension after I removed the AutoRide system to keep the “Service Suspension” DTC from appearing. They do get warm/hot, so it’s a good idea to secure them well to something solid (not with tape as the adhesive will lose it’s adhesion over time).

Im sure there’s a good YouTube video showing you how to do.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When I get some more time I’ll search for a good video for you as I see now you already looked, but couldn’t find one.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Is a resistor in laymans terms, a "wee thing" with a bit of wire sticking out each end?

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
142 Posts
Is a resistor in laymans terms, a "wee thing" with a bit of wire sticking out each end?
If you consider a 50W resistor "a wee thing". They are about 2" long (50 mm) and slightly bigger in diameter than a pencil. You'll need one per bulb for the brake lamps.

Reactions: puddlesplasher

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you consider a 50W resistor "a wee thing". They are about 2" long (50 mm) and slightly bigger in diameter than a pencil. You'll need one per bulb for the brake lamps.
View attachment 2396350698
I bought a 2pk of these resistors and am ready to install them, but I'm not sure which wire is what for the Rene. I saw a good video that Headlight Revolution did for splicing a resistor, where one end goes to the turn signal and the other end goes to the brake light, but that was a tail light with three wires and the Rene have 5, so I need to know which wire is which.

I did find a list of the wires by color at this link, but I'm not 100% sold on the info. Need to get out there and take a look at the wiring again as it's been a few days: Wire Color By Manufacturer

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
142 Posts
I bought a 2pk of these resistors and am ready to install them, but I'm not sure which wire is what for the Rene. I saw a good video that Headlight Revolution did for splicing a resistor, where one end goes to the turn signal and the other end goes to the brake light, but that was a tail light with three wires and the Rene have 5, so I need to know which wire is which.

I did find a list of the wires by color at this link, but I'm not 100% sold on the info. Need to get out there and take a look at the wiring again as it's been a few days: Wire Color By Manufacturer
If the link you found is correct, the left side use the Gray/Black Stripe and the Black. The resistor is not polarity conscious (it doesn't matter which side you connect) On the right side put the resistor between the Brown and the Black. Then use the mounting tab to secure it to a metal surface as they can get hot. This will help dissipate the heat so make sure there is nothing laying across it. (like a wire.) These resistors provide enough current draw that should prevent your flasher from hyper-flashing. (Blinking real fast) If the CANBUS still sets a bulb failure light you might have to wire in another for the tail light circuit. Blue and Black wires. If the colors from your link don't match up, you still can figure out which one is the turn/brake wire. It will be the only one that is different between the two sides.

·
Registered
751 Posts

I was just going to share that same video with you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The YouTube video I’ve attached should give you an idea as to how to locate the wires you will connect the resistors to.

I’ve also attached a couple of pics of my rear indicator resistor wiring for the uk spec renegade I did about a year ago with no issues so far. The bulbs were advertised as error free but were hyper flashing - I contacted the seller and he sent me the resistors free of charge.

If your using a multimeter. Stick the probe in to each individual wire where I’ve marked with an arrow to locate the correct wiring. It will save you stripping back the insulation.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Well done guys as that made it clearer.

I was about to ask if Scotch Locks were ok as opposed to stripping and soldering but Simar answered that for me.

XFibre gave an excellent diagram that allowed my head to get around why 2 wires were being joined. I now see the reason as to why a resistor is used and how easy it can draw off the power supply.

Many thanks to both of you (y)(y)

·
Registered
751 Posts
The YouTube video I’ve attached should give you an idea as to how to locate the wires you will connect the resistors to.

I’ve also attached a couple of pics of my rear indicator resistor wiring for the uk spec renegade I did about a year ago with no issues so far. The bulbs were advertised as error free but were hyper flashing - I contacted the seller and he sent me the resistors free of charge.

View attachment 2396350716

View attachment 2396350717

View attachment 2396350718

If your using a multimeter. Stick the probe in to each individual wire where I’ve marked with an arrow to locate the correct wiring. It will save you stripping back the insulation.
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Jason I agree that was an excellent video.

Here was me thinking that when soldering (sorry SODERING) a joint I would need to slice away at the insulation around the wire just to get to the wire core. What a relief to see it's simply a case of nip and spread.

That may sound so easy now I have seen it in the video. Oh how I wondered why my mate in the garage always said it had to be soldered and no ScotchLocks or T Joints.

It all makes sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts