Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Trailhawk
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the negative battery connector with something other than this quick-release garbage? Mine is always loose and can’t be tightened any further, but it’s not loose enough for a lead shim.

I haven’t been able to find the specific replacement part but I’d probably rather replace it with something that works better anyway. As it is now, it’s intermittently losing connection so the battery will randomly be dead when I want to drive the Jeep.

2016 TH, no start/stop

Motor vehicle Gas Font Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
633 Posts
Has anyone replaced the negative battery connector with something other than this quick-release garbage? Mine is always loose and can’t be tightened any further, but it’s not loose enough for a lead shim.

I haven’t been able to find the specific replacement part but I’d probably rather replace it with something that works better anyway. As it is now, it’s intermittently losing connection so the battery will randomly be dead when I want to drive the Jeep.

2016 TH, no start/stop

View attachment 2396352580
needs a good cleaning---. they use shims when shafting golf clubs once in a while that would work perfectly. should be able to find on e-bay a maybe amazon

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
Never had any problems with our 15 or 17 Renegade battery connectors. There are tons of after market ones you can buy.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I haven't tried this, but can you give the gray lever one full turn to see if it tightens it up ? It has to be threaded onto the cross bolt somehow, I'd think. If it can be totally loosened and removed, throw a washer on the bolt. You can also roughen up the inside of the clamp with a Dremel and sanding wheel, maybe get a better grip on the post.

While disconnected from the battery, obviously.....lol

My wife drives a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade and I noticed if I put one of those anti-corrosion felt washers on her post, it would never fully tighten down.

One "field repair" my Dad did when I was a kid and we were out 4-wheeling past where Jesus lost his sandals. The standard clamp came loose and of course the terminal bolt was stripped out, so he drove a coarse thread screw into the top of the battery post, expanding the post. Drastic, yes, but it worked. Worked so well that screw stayed there until the battery had to be replaced.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
486 Posts
My stock quick release lever on my 2015 was complete garbage. It was crimped it too tight when I got it to where it pressed into the terminal and couldn’t be removed. Had to cut it apart just to take it off. I instead got one that bolts on. A lot nicer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts