Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my Renegade last week from out of state should have it in a few days, but I have read some really horrible reviews and statements on here. I'm assuming most people truly do love theirs but it's sad to see so much negative feedback on a vehicle. Luckily, I opted for the manual transmission so I'm not too concerned over the auto trans issues. I'm hoping I don't end up with some of the lemons that are apparently around. Someone post some positive feedback please.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
As tazzel said, you will find the same on all make and model forums. We are enjoying our Renegade and have had a few minor issues with it all corrected under warranty, usually with software updates. Good luck with your Renegade, enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think a lot of times the people who have negative experience are far more vocal about it than the majority who don't have issues. That said, I'm about 1500 miles in.. No issues thus far.. Enjoying driving it every day! Hope you have a similar experience!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been on the frontlines of software issues from day one. That having been said, I LOVE the way my (manual trans.) vehicle drives. It's just FUN to drive with the manual transmission! It's PERFECT as a radio station vehicle, and I've had nothing but GREAT support from Jeep (Chrysler) and my local dealer. This was my first-ever NEW car, and at first, when bugs popped up in my software, I thought I'd made the wrong decision. As it turns out, because of good cooperation with my dealer and direct with Jeep, They had me testing software before release here in MI. Minor bugs will show up. It's true, in a new product, they will. I even had a (non-software issue) rattle in a door pillar which got fixed. I was actually without my new Renegade for 18 days while they searched for the problems in the Uconnect, but I was provided with a nice rental at no charge, and they did some nice things for me to show their concern for a client.

IN a nut-shell, don't regret it, the problems were annoying, but...the issues are being attended-to.

Almost every new product these days has issues, big product or small. Sad, but we work through them, and I think we HEAR about them more. My dad's Volkswagen in the 70's probably had as many service bulletins but we didn't hear about it via this thing called the web. (and we didn't have those era of cars relying on thumb drive updates, either!!)

Try out ALL the features you can find on your new vehicle, and then if there's an issue or three, be kind and polite getting to know your local service department. My experience is that they'll bend over backwards to help.... then ENJOY the ride. Post questions here, and even PM me if you want, I check this forum frequently. I'm not a moderator, just an owner, and one with a microphone to tell people about my product experience, so you can imagine I'm pretty critical of it. Glad to be of any help if at all possible.

The other NICE thing is, once all the bugs are out of it, it's one HELLUVA nice small SUV...and probably something to keep a long time. I hope-to.

-Jim
WION Radio
Ionia, MI

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the manual 1.4 Turbo Latitude with MySky and have not had any issues so far. I'm over 9,000 miles. I did have a parking brake warning happening early on and I fixed it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and then re-connecting after a couple minutes. I think it was just slightly loose. No problems since then. I really enjoy driving it with the stick and Turbo combination!

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
There's plenty of good news threads on here! It's just more common to go online to post/ find answers about issues and problems.

This is most definitely the case.
Somebody has an issue, finds the forum, and only mentions their problem/negative experience, never to return to report on years of problem free motoring.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You need to be carefull with the perceived stats you think your seeing.
There are 2 types of people on these forums:
People who like forums about the hobby.
People who have a problem with their product.
Can you spot who's missing.
Yep, everybody who are not having problems and people who think the internet is crap. That's over 90% of owners.

I'm anal and spent weeks researching before I bought.
My findings were most problems are early ones that have been long fixed with updates but the posts don't go away unfortunately.
Every product has some crap ones and those people are here on the forum in strong way and rightly so.
However 5 others always turn up to say 'mines fine'.

I've run the numbers and as I'll live with shitty speakers which is the only defo defect. I'm happy :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
The sad thing, that I perceive anyway, is once a manufacturer gets a bad reputation there's like this snowball effect where people become fearful and they believe it's kosher to complain about everything. Consumers Reports hears from these people and then gives low ratings. It can all lead to a death spiral that's hard to get out of. Well good for us, we took the chance, enjoy our vehicles, and probably got a better bargain than if we had gone with other brands! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
What speakers did you end up replacing them with?
Sorry, seems like I have two accounts! I just bought Kicker 3.5 inch for the dash and kicker 6x9 inch for the front door. Very improved SQ, you will be shocked at how "not impressive" the stock speakers are!
Kicker 41KSC354 3.5 inch
Kicker 43DSC69304 6x9 inch
ordered from Crutchfield, but I think you can find them cheaper.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . Someone post some positive feedback please.
I will. I have had my Trailhawk for almost a year (~8,000 miles) with no problems whatsoever. The Trailhawk only comes with the automatic transmission and so far, it has performed well. Mine was a January 2015 build (one of the early U.S.A. models).

I really like this vehicle. :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
I just purchased my Renegade last week from out of state should have it in a few days, but I have read some really horrible reviews and statements on here. I'm assuming most people truly do love theirs but it's sad to see so much negative feedback on a vehicle. Luckily, I opted for the manual transmission so I'm not too concerned over the auto trans issues. I'm hoping I don't end up with some of the lemons that are apparently around. Someone post some positive feedback please.
There will always be people who will focus only on negative elements, which by the way may rather be based on personal preferences than on universal taste. And let's face oit. Pick any vehicle in existence and, being sufficiently familiar with the vehicle in question, or being sufficiently biased, anybody can write a negative product review. If I come across an obvioulsy biased view, whether it's positive or negative, I tend to bow out and find a different source for information.

Now, reliability scores are something that should be considered when choosing vehicle, I think, but I would not make them the measure of all things. At best they will show a tendency for failure-prone areas and weaknesses. Reliability scores will not be intrinsically relevant to a particular vehicle, but rather show a tendency for common problems across a particular model line.

I bought an Audi A4 in 1996 despite Audi's reputation for electric gremlins (never had one), and requiring exacting (sadly dealers proved incapable of quality work, so DIY) extensive preventive maintenance (true). Reliability was expected to be low, but turned out excellent after the course of 20 years and almost 300k miles. So go figure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Agree with the above, you cant always judge something by some negative comments you hear, on a forum especially. I have had my 2015 TrailHawk for almost 2000 miles now, and drive it everyday. Its has the auto transmission and the powered MySky, so it has all of the "problem" items on it. Happy to report that I haven't had an issue with mine yet, and I drive it daily. Have had the roof open & panels off, with no creaking noises or leaking of any kind. I also haven't had any issues out of the transmission, and I average 24-25mpg with a mix of city and highway with it being more city than highway. Love it so far, im saving for a lift kit now and then tires!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I've had my 1.4 MultiAir Longitude since September 2015. Done a shade under 4,000 miles and it has been problem free.

There are also a lot of positive reviews and comments on this forum. Some like me, read all comments and make their own mind up. Others only focus on the positive and cry when something goes wrong or breaks. Then there are those that focus on the negative and come to the decision that the vehicle in question is a crock of sh!te and should be avoided at all costs.

Some Renegades have had issues, but they are the exception, rather than the norm.

On a personal note, the boot (trunk), could be a bit bigger. Also the mpg could be better, but the low figure of around 27+/- mpg urban, is also due to where I live. If I go to Cardiff then the urban figure goes into the 30+ mpg easily. The Renegade has been everything that I hoped it would be and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

If you are seriously interested in getting a Renegade, then go for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2015 Anvil Trailhawk fully loaded with MkSky, nav, leather...etc. No issues so far, well none that I havent caused myself being off-road....haha....love it, very reliable and it's a beast when off-tarmac....good luck!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.