Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum but already have 50K on my new Renegade after putting 120K in my first.
Just bought a Dometic fridge and solar panel to extend my overlanding capacity.
I thought that I could stay off grid by just using the solar to keep my car battery topped off but.....
When I turn the engine off all the power to the fridge turns off as well.
is there a trick or some setting to keep the car battery operating or do I need to buy a Dometic battery pack for when I am not running the engine?

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
There are a lot of YouTube vids (mostly by Australians) about hooking up additional batteries etc for extended off grid living.

I'd be a bit careful with the more modern cars as they are very temperamental and sensitive to battery load/drain given StopStart and all the other systems that depend on the single car battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a lot of YouTube vids (mostly by Australians) about hooking up additional batteries etc for extended off grid living.

I'd be a bit careful with the more modern cars as they are very temperamental and sensitive to battery load/drain given StopStart and all the other systems that depend on the single car battery.
Thanks Nev

I am actually more interested in whether I can minimize my batteries by using the car battery to power my fridge while I’m driving and keep it doing so when I stop for several day’s in a row by hooking up my solar panels to the car battery

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

There is a fuse that can be added to the fuse box in the engine compartment (F30, 20 amp) that will provide 'full time' power the cargo area 12v accessory plug.
Right now it is a 'key-on' power supply only. The 20 amp fuse in fuse port F30 will provide constant 12v voltage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im no expert but I think I read that a car battery is not an option for long term usage when you stay put a couple days. They would suggest buying one of those marines battery. Im planning of adding a solar system to my Renegade soon. I havent done all the research but I think you should consider not using the car battery

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
A deep cycle, gel matting, marine battery sounds like a better idea if you dedicate it solely to your fridge. Top off the power with your solar panel providing the panel gives out more power than the fridge uses otherwise you will run it flat. Keep your Jeep battery totally seperate as a starting battery so you don't end up stranded. I have the same set up on the boat. One battery for starting and another for the accessories.

The deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.
I hope that helps a little.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Did a bit of research for a mate with a surf-camper.

LiFePO4 batteries seem to be where it's at. But shockingly expensive.

Not sure you can just drop-in replace other chemistry batteries for the standard one as the stop/start etc and battery monitoring may be Lead-Acid specific?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts