Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2018 Renegade Longitude M-Jet1.6 diesel manual
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Guys n Gals,
Just a quick hello from Walsall in the West Midlands UK..

Me and the wife are new owners of a 2018 Renegade 1.6 Diesel Multijet 2 Latitude... Had him one week and has been named 'Jack' after Jack Daniels as he is all black and we fancy adding some cool Jack Daniels graphics... He has just turned over 27000 miles and we are his 3rd owners...
Couple of niggles but nothing major, his owners books have gone missing (not the service book as that is present) and we are waiting a replacement from the dealers (not main agent Jeep dealer), though I am guessing this will need some chasing and a bit of pressure!!

So far so good and although he was supposed to have been serviced!! Dealer said it would have a full service in accordance with the schedule before we had him I have checked the air filter and that was not done and neither was the cabin filter, which TBH looked like it had never ever been done!! Was full of leaves and seeds and very very mucky!
Looks like just the oil and filter were done but don't have much confidence in that so will do another of my own soon..... currently trying to get 100% conformation of the correct Oil grade as when I called the local Jeep dealer they were not very helpful and said to 'check the manual' !! which we don't have lol.... and would not give any other info as just wanted me to book it in for a service!!!.....

Already have a new diesel filter to fit as from the dirt around the housing and inlet / outlet connectors that looks like it was not touched either!!

The dealer did however fit new discs and pads on the front, at just under 27K miles I guess the last owners must have been quite heavy on the brakes!!! Though I had to fit the same on our last car (a Fiat 500L Trekking) which uses many common parts to the Rene... Shame they fitted Pagid though and not a better brand like TRW but will just have to see how they wear!!

Bit annoyed they have not reset the service indicator as this is reading 0 days and 0 Miles so will be speaking to them about that.... They did reset the Oil Change indicator which was showing before they did the service but I now know that is just a pedal reset procedure similar to the Fiat 500L...

Have managed to get a nearly new boot floor board for the split level and a nearly new set of Genuine Jeep carpet mats... he already has the Jeep graphic mats which we will use for the winter months.... just looking to try and get a space saver spare and jack as they did not come with the car.. (Really niggles me that these are an 'extra' on modern cars and very few people seem to specify them when new!!)...

I tend to do most basic servicing myself so will be looking for any info or pointers in the forum and will hopefully add any tips or info I find out that may help others.

Cheers
Alex..

Premium Member
Me and the wife are new owners of a 2018 Renegade 1.6 Diesel Multijet 2 Latitude. Had him one week and has been named 'Jack' after Jack Daniels as he is all black
27000 miles and we are his 3rd owners. At first I thought it was 2 baby jeeps and they could have been called Paul and Debbie Daniels (it's a Brit in-joke, sorry Marek :p)

Couple of niggles his owners books have gone missing and we are waiting a replacement from the dealers (not main agent Jeep dealer), though I am guessing this will need some chasing and a bit of pressure!! I'm sure there may have been a downloadable PDF file for that from someone on this forum? :unsure:

He was supposed to have been serviced!! Dealer said it would have a full service in accordance with the schedule before we had him. I have checked the air filter and that was not done and neither was the cabin filter. Both are really easy to do and the directions are on this forum. I know because I have changed both ;)

Looks like just the oil and filter were done but don't have much confidence in that so will do another of my own soon. Remove the drivers wheel, peel back the plastic inner wheel arch and have immediate and easy access to the oil filter.

Currently trying to get 100% conformation of the correct Oil grade. SAE OW-30 ACEA grade 2 totally synthetic. Get it on line and its a lot cheaper than Dingbro, TMS, Halfords etc.

Already have a new diesel filter to fit as from the dirt around the housing and inlet / outlet connectors that looks like it was not touched either!! A little harder but achievable as you like to DIY your vehicles and this baby Jeep. Keep in mind that a Jeep is not a car. :ROFLMAO:

The dealer did however fit new discs and pads on the front, at just under 27K miles. Get the local garage to do them from now on. The rear ones need the machine/computer to withdraw the pistons fully. Though this was a contentious topic a while back. I have still not replaced my rear brakes in 6 years and it's just passed it's MOT with flying colours. :)

Bit annoyed they have not reset the service indicator as this is reading 0 days and 0 Miles so will be speaking to them about that. I am sure that's the setting that can be done yourself. I did mine. (y)

They did reset the Oil Change indicator which was showing before they did the service but I now know that is just a pedal reset procedure similar to the Fiat 500L. Oh no it's not. I too thought the same. It needed the computer in the garage to reset it. 5 minute job. :cry:

Have managed to get a nearly new boot floor board for the split level and a nearly new set of Genuine Jeep carpet mats and he already has the Jeep graphic mats which we will use for the winter months. :D

Just looking to try and get a space saver spare and jack as they did not come with the car. Don't be silly. get down the "scrappy" and get a full sized wheel and tyre. Other vehicles have the same stud pattern as uour Jeep. I'm sure mine is from soething like a Vauxhall. Do you really want a burst on the motorway and have to sit at 40mph or instantly fit a full size wheel and be on your normal way? :whistle::unsure:

I tend to do most basic servicing myself so will be looking for any info or pointers in the forum and will hopefully add any tips or info I find out that may help others. Welcome to the forum and I know you will have fun searching the topics and learning how easy the baby Jeep is to tinker with. :love:
My post is coloured purple above within the quote 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My post is coloured purple above within the quote 馃榿
Cheers for the welcome 'puddlesplasher' and thanks for the info...

Actually I did the fuel filter replacement this morning... Nice and easy job and took the time to lube the electrical connector gasket (correct lube used 99861-02 as used by Harley on a bike elec connectors, a great tip I picked up from when servicing Harley's) this makes it a lot easier to slide of the connector and water proofs it too ;-)
I was quite surprised as the filter was actually not too dirty so reckon it has been replaced before but no idea when...

Interesting you say the oil change reset is not the same as the Fiats!!
The US Mopar site has a video showing how to do it with 3 or 5 presses of the acc pedal... Its no longer showing so can't test... I know this works on the 500L 1.3 JTDm as I did it recently...
I know the service coupons and service interval date and milage need to be reset at a dealer or by using the Snap On Counselor / Modis / Solus Ultra units, though with the 2016 Fiats it can be done using Multiecuscan but later models may have a SGM (software gateway module) that prevents certain OBD scan tools from working... I will have to do some investigations! Both of my local 'Jeep' Dealers are very expensive and will charge for 拢拢拢拢拢拢拢拢's for resetting so I need to avoid that...

Rear discs..well when they need doing I will need to do some research... The Fiat 500L we had I was quoted over 拢450 for a disc and pad change on the rear and they said it needed a computer to set the pistons back, but I spoke with a mate who runs a garage and he called BS on that and said I just needed a standard wind back tool. Did the job myself with TRW discs, pads and new shims for 拢110 for the parts.. Though that did have a manual hand brake and not electric AFAIK the Renegade uses the same type of 2 bolt motor used on Renaults which just need the HB to be in the off state when removing the motor from the caliper so will need to investigate that....... Interesting you mention it was a contentious topic... will have to search that out!

Premium Member
Blow up your brakes and its mega bucks as opposed to paying for it to be done correctly with your local mechanic. :cry::cry::cry:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blow up your brakes and its mega bucks as opposed to paying for it to be done correctly with your local mechanic. :cry::cry::cry:
Hiya Puddlesplasher, I respect your concerns but I maybe should say... I am a retired engineer who was on the tools for over 20 years... and 36 years in industry, during which time I worked on and managed a fleet of over 120 vehicles.. I trained HGV mechanics and at one time had 5 full time apprentices I looked after as well as a team of 12 full time mechanics....
This was in the good old days when mechanics were mechanics and actually serviced and repaired vehicles and not the parts monkeys currently employed by dealerships who only know how to change assemblies and then only if they are allowed to lol.... The garage I looked after dealt with HGV's, Trailers, Vans as well as a sales force car fleet.
In my 'hobby' time I have rebuilt several motorbikes including full engine rebuilds and used to service Harley's (with ABS) for a close group of friends and acquaintances, so in truth I do feel confident in dealing with brakes, in fact I feel safer if I have done them myself rather than some of the rushed and over worked guys who have to do a job down to a time rather than a quality in modern garages especially main dealerships.
The electric handbrakes are basically 2 motors driving a ratchet cog in the rear of the caliper... they operate with load feedback to the drive. The ratchet drive in this type of caliper normally requires just direct pressure on the piston whilst the gear at the back is reversed withdrawing the piston... To my knowledge this is the normal practice but I will need to double check if the Renegade system is any different to that on Renaults and BMW Mini's.

Super Moderator

and enjoy the forum!

Registered
W E L C O M E ! ! !
... to the forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts