Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like they have some problems, steering, MPG, don't know if there moving off lots. Nice but big bucks !!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The dealers have a lot of them. I guess FSA will be pushing them out. They seem to be selling well here in New England considering the price. I like them but they do seem a little boxy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
They are selling well from what I've read. Over 40k units sold in a partial sales year.

FCA US sales slightly down, despite some records (updated)

I like them, personally. I'm not sure if it's the right next Jeep for me or not. I'd like a Wrangler for the smaller size (still huge compared to the Renegade). I'd like an Unlimited for the greater interior room and "utility". And I'd like a Gladiator for the bed. But the Gladiator is long...perhaps too much so for my liking. And they are all pricey, which will be a factor for me too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Neat to look at but utterly useless.

People should buy Wranglers for offroading. The length of the Gladiator makes them stupid for the purpose. Also a F-150 will do the same as the Gladiator but for $15K less and you get a Eco-boost engine. Now if they had made a 2 door in the Gladiator they would have been onto something. But alas these are just over glorified mall cruisers that will never see a trail b/c they can't safely.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Neat to look at but utterly useless.

People should buy Wranglers for offroading. The length of the Gladiator makes them stupid for the purpose. Also a F-150 will do the same as the Gladiator but for $15K less and you get a Eco-boost engine. Now if they had made a 2 door in the Gladiator they would have been onto something. But alas these are just over glorified mall cruisers that will never see a trail b/c they can't safely.
Well, if your singular purpose for purchasing one is to go rock crawling and heavy trail driving, then the long wheel base is NOT a plus, as in ANY vehicle of similar dimensions.

But if you need ONE VEHICLE with room for 4 (kids, pets, other family), and you need a bed (building materials, car parts, firewood), and your off-roading plans do not include a lot of use where breakover angle is critical, then it's a perfectly viable option. Not EVER Jeep owner is driven to conquer the most difficult parts of the Rubicon trail.

But it certainly sounds like it would not be a wise choice for you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When I first saw them, I immediately thought "modern 4 door Scrambler !!" (I'm showing my age....). I liked them. I even went to look at them while my Latitude was getting it's oil changed. I didn't have sticker shock, I had sticker crap your pants. I began to look at it more closely. It had to have gold lug nuts/steering wheel/shifter, SOMETHING to justify that window sticker. Nothing I could find. The ever-ready salesman came out. "Have any questions ?". "Yes I do, does it come with a 18 year old Polynesian girl that hand rolls cigars on her inner thigh ?". He made that tilted head move like a dog hearing a funny sound. I said, "Something has to justify that price !". He laughed and said, "Yeah, they're pricey right now.".

I fell out of love fast.

·
Super Moderator
3,374 Posts
I live in NJ. I regularly see tons of stuff costing between $80-180k next to me on commutes. I have seen one Gladiator on the road.

To put this in perspective I have seen two new supras on the road.

Only numbers I can find puts them at about ~32k units sold as of Q3. Q4 numbers don't seem to be out yet.

IMO the price on them is stupid high. I've been eyeballing the new Ranger, and similarly equipping the Gladiator to both what I found interesting and what dealers seem to order that is closest to what I find interesting, you are looking at a premium to get the gladiator of about $8000. That's a BIG retail hill to climb. Not to mention the ranger has the FX4 package and to get those kind of numbers fro driving off road things, you would need to go rubicon and now you are $10k+ over. It is more price competitive with the tacoma and the tacoma bundling of options is similarly inefficient and chain reaction like. I'm sure in a year or two it will be priced more like the wrangler and be more competitive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts