Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there installed a new head unit with the iDatalink? I've been doing some research and it looks like most Kenwood and Pioneer head units can be installed in the Renegade with the use of an iDatalink's Maestro ADS-MRR module, iDatalink's HRN-RR-CH3x wiring adapter and the Metra 95-6532B dash kit. These parts are specifically for the Renegade. The way this is set up and installed allows you to retain the steering wheel controls (plus program additional ones) and allows you to program and display additional vehicle info.

I went to a local (high end) stereo shop and saw a demo with a Kenwood deck. I'm seriously considering this upgrade and have upgraded my six speakers (Infinity Kappa 3.5" in the dash, Hertz 6.6" in the front doors and Polk 5.25" in the rear doors). The only question left unanswered is with this set up is, is the factory microphone retained as well as the USB and Aux plugs? I use the Aux for my Sirius (I have a car kit with a lifetime subscription) and USB for iPod. I also have a High Resolution Music Player loaded with flac files I play via Bluetooth now.

This seems like a viable solution for those interested (as I've seen in other threads) so wondering if anyone here has done it yet (and your experience with it). To see more (wasn't allowed to post the link) there's a YouTube link entitled
iDatalink Maestro CHK1 Installation Tutorial

·
Registered
244 Posts
no, factory mic is not retained. the new deck will come with a dedicated mic, it could be placed in the factory location, but you will need t tape over the hole in the mic that face towards the sides and roof to prevent it from picking up road noise.
now for the usb, you will need to buy an adapter, usb mini M to usb b F. and just trim the clips on the factory wire.
the aux is not retained, but you can buy an aftermarket aux port to mount in factory location (or wherever you want ) and plug it into the av in port on the new deck.

i'm just doing this install now. a Kenwood DMX7704S wit meastro rr & ch3x. i too have a sirusXM portable with lifetime subscription. i use the aux for it too. i thought about buying the sat tuner that plugs into the kenwood ($50) and transfer my subscription to it ($75). but i use my portable in my loader at work, and on my atv.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The adapter I got didn't work, just says hub not supported.
I just did an install last week with a Kenwood DMX905S.
I got the sirius tuner and a cheap amazon usb adapter for the front dash usb port.

After some confusion with the OBD2 cable, everything works as advertised and is maintained with the following 2 caveats:

1- As previously mentioned, the factory microphone cannot be retained. I installed the kenwood mic in the box behind the mirror. I may move it to the factory microphone location at some point.
2- At the current time, the firmware for the Maestro does not have the menu settings for the DRLs. So you cannot turn them off on the aftermarket unit until the maestro firmware is updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is a 2018 Sport Lattitude. I haven't tried it again since I've updated the firmware on the head unit. Maybe it'll work now? Doesn't seem like rocket science.. It's a mini usb to usb, should be the same wiring.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is a 2018 Sport Lattitude. I haven't tried it again since I've updated the firmware on the head unit. Maybe it'll work now? Doesn't seem like rocket science.. It's a mini usb to usb, should be the same wiring.
Should be... but not even all USB cables are created equally, so who knows with this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the sirius tuner and a cheap amazon usb adapter for the front dash usb port.

After some confusion with the OBD2 cable, everything works as advertised and is maintained with the following 2 caveats:

1- As previously mentioned, the factory microphone cannot be retained. I installed the kenwood mic in the box behind the mirror. I may move it to the factory microphone location at some point.
2- At the current time, the firmware for the Maestro does not have the menu settings for the DRLs. So you cannot turn them off on the aftermarket unit until the maestro firmware is updated.

I just bought this exact headunit. Stoked. But I am confused about this USB adapter. How does this adapter retain the stock USB port?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just bought this exact headunit. Stoked. But I am confused about this USB adapter. How does this adapter retain the stock USB port?
One of the cables you remove from the stock head unit has a usb connection on the end of it, mini usb male I believe from memory.
This connector will convert that cable to something that the kenwood can plug into and *should* give the kenwood access to the factory USB port. It works for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of the cables you remove from the stock head unit has a usb connection on the end of it, mini usb male I believe from memory.
This connector will convert that cable to something that the kenwood can plug into and *should* give the kenwood access to the factory USB port. It works for me.
So I did the install and I am still getting the not supported dialogue. I am curious to why this would happen if I have the same year model car, same USB adapter, and the same headunit. Did you do anything special in your install to make the stock USB's work with the kenwood?

·
Registered
83 Posts
So I did the install and I am still getting the not supported dialogue. I am curious to why this would happen if I have the same year model car, same USB adapter, and the same headunit. Did you do anything special in your install to make the stock USB's work with the kenwood?
No, I did nothing special. It just worked, but others have had issues with the same adapter as well. As @canadianrenegade mentioned, it's hit or miss.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hey, Just out of curiosity what were your issues with the OBD 2 cable? I plugged mine into the black connection (disconnecting the black connector that comes from the vehicle harness) and I still get an ODB 2 error 2 on my pioneer radio. EVERYTHING else works, I have the vehicles settings, get tire pressure from tpms, song info shows up on the instrument cluster screen, etc. I just don't get odb information.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reviving an old post here to share some things I had learned this weekend when battling with my own USB port. For years now I have left the stock USB port dead, having tried all sorts of adapters without luck. I have a 2016 Renegade with Beats (Ugh) and Nav. There was a USB port up front and another in the center console storage compartment.

Finally resolving to get this thing working, no matter what, I ordered a set of the USB/Aux ports off eBay so I could look the thing over and do some testing with it. Luckily, the model I got was from a Jeep that didn't have the rear USB port. I pulled the center console apart and popped the USB/Aux hub out of my Rene to take a look and it's got one cable coming in from the top and another going out to the back. I swapped for the simpler ports I bought off eBay because they just do straight passthrough on the USB and ran a fresh cable up to the head unit (new one I bought takes USB-C in the back). WORKS. I finally have the stock USB working! Anyways, the PCBs in the USB/Aux hub that I pulled from my Rene are waaaaaaaay more complicated than the one I swapped in. There's some sort of proprietary hub on there that doesn't play nice with head units.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, Just out of curiosity what were your issues with the OBD 2 cable? I plugged mine into the black connection (disconnecting the black connector that comes from the vehicle harness) and I still get an ODB 2 error 2 on my pioneer radio. EVERYTHING else works, I have the vehicles settings, get tire pressure from tpms, song info shows up on the instrument cluster screen, etc. I just don't get odb information.
Did you ever figure this out? I am in your same position with probably the same pioneer radio.. I keep getting an error when I try to use the OBD2 cable.. Its plugged in correctly and I have turned the car on and off a few times to reset it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts