Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2018 jeep renegade upland edition. Bought it new in 2018. Love it so far. No issues to speak of. But I do have a question. Planning on driving to Florida from New York towing a 5ft x 8ft trailer. Any suggestions or comments? Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard! 🤠

Watch your towing weight would be my only advice.

Ever towed anything before?

Does your Renegade have a factory towing package?
No factory towing package. But I have a 3500 lbs class II hitch & 350lb ball . I have towed things before but this will be the first time with my renegade upland edition ( 2.4L engine w/ 9 speed automatic transmission ) 4x4

·
Registered
375 Posts
Without a tow package, your Jeep is rated at 1000 pounds towing capacity. With towing package, 2000 lbs. (That's for my Jeep per my owner manual...check yours, or an online .pdf of yours if you don't have one).

Your hitch is certainly up to the job, but does not raise that 1000 lb. limit.

What does the trailer weigh?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just above our posts is a long thin gray box with the words "search community and a magnifying glass."

Therefore please excuse me for not typing my experience all over again but if you click on the link below it will take you to the section of this forum where we were recently discussing trailers and Renegades. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
421 Posts
FTGreen its like riding a bike. You never forget providing you take it very slow upon reversing ;)

Trailing speeds in the Uk are a lot lower than motorway or dual carriage speeds. Likely US laws are similar.

Stay below the speed limits and pull your trailer accordingly and if trained will see you safely to your eventual location.

Think safety:

• Are your cargo straps secure
  • Is your number plate in working order
  • Are your mudguards properly fitted and fit for purpose
  • Wheel bearings! properly greased
  • Tyres at the correctly inflated pressure and compatible
  • Spare wheel? get a proper wheel and not an inflation kit
  • Proper tow hitch?
  • Nose weight on your trailer must be compatible to balance the car and trailer
  • Are the electrics working at your plug from trailer to vehicle
  • Braked or unbraked trailer
  • Have you fitted a chain from the trailer to the car tow plate if under 750Kg in the UK
  • Is your trailer brake attached to the car if over 750kg so it pulls it upon a breakaway from the car.
  • Darkness and a breakdown, proper fluorescent colours ie green/yellow on roads as orange is for railways. I always have 2 sets of fluoersecent green waterproof outpits crammed into the centre of the spare wheel
  • Flashing lamps at the rear of your trailer to indicate breakdown
  • Stay well clear of any breakdown and phone the appropriate emergency services.
No doubt others more experienced than I am will hopefully add some more tips. phew. (y)(y)(y)

To reverse:

Australian method is to hold the steering wheel at the bottom ie 6 o'clock and to turn in the direction you want the trailer to reverse.

However, professionaly taught will see you turn the wheel in the opposite direction and then straighten up as the trailer reverses and so on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts