Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Greetings from the UK. Welcome to the world of the Jeep Renegade

:ReneBlueWave:

What is it that you would like to know? There are all sorts of threads and posts here in the world of the Jeep Renegade.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi, all. New here, just deciding if I'm going to buy a Renegade, and thought I'd chat a bit with current owners first.
Where are you from? Renegades are sold all over the world with different engines and configurations, so it would be good to know which Renegades in what part of the world you would be considering.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Where are you from? Renegades are sold all over the world with different engines and configurations, so it would be good to know which Renegades in what part of the world you would be considering.
I live in British Columbia, Canada. In the interior (near Nelson), a land of mountains and rivers where the skiing is serious and the whitewater intense. Which means lots of winding back roads and "real" winter.

I'm looking specifically at the 1.4 turbo because the Renegade is one of the few small SUVs still available with a manual shift, which I very much prefer. Currently I'm driving a decade-old Suzuki GV (2.7 V6 with 5 spd manual), and my wife has a Suzuki SX4 (2 litre four with 6 spd manual). Getting harder to find anything with manuals, at least in North America.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I live in British Columbia, Canada. In the interior (near Nelson), a land of mountains and rivers where the skiing is serious and the whitewater intense. Which means lots of winding back roads and "real" winter.

I'm looking specifically at the 1.4 turbo because the Renegade is one of the few small SUVs still available with a manual shift, which I very much prefer. Currently I'm driving a decade-old Suzuki GV (2.7 V6 with 5 spd manual), and my wife has a Suzuki SX4 (2 litre four with 6 spd manual). Getting harder to find anything with manuals, at least in North America.
Your reasoning is the same reason I bought one. As the enthusiasts say these days #savethemanuals ...It seems nobody makes a small SUV with a manual transmission anymore. I think Jeep also makes the Patriot in a manual, but I personally prefer the styling of the Renegade very much over the Patriot. Another thing you might enjoy is the steering, it is very connected seeming and weighted nicely with no looseness or excessive play in it - very similar to that "hot hatch" feel, it is actually fun to sling it around on the windy back roads.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drifter, yes I do like the driving feel of the Renegade. Indeed, yesterday I did due diligence, and drove a Subaru Forester--also available with a 6-spd manual, although the one I drove was auto (all they had on the lot). It felt OK, but nothing to write home about. I then went to a close-by Jeep dealer and drove another Renegade (also auto, the only one they had on the lot) and man, it was so much more fun to drive, even with the autobox.

And yes, my options have been limited for years by my refusal to buy an autobox car. That could be a good thing, though, as it makes the decision-making process easier. (It also makes it easier to justify more expensive Euro brands like Mini--yes, I have considered the All4).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, got the call this morning--my Renegade has arrived at the dealer. Now I just have to arrange a ride down there to pick it up, hopefully over the course of the next week or so.

I did look at one other car, a Nissan XTerra with 6-spd manual. 260 horsepower, and it's a very capable truck--yes, it has running gear much like a pickup truck (solid rear axle on leafs, etc.) but no box to throw the firewood into (indeed, the interior space isn't much bigger than the Renegade, if at all). It will tow a lot more (5000 lb rating). But, when I did the math, this 2015 "pre-owned" vehicle would end up costing me more than the Renegade--and the fuel economy is terrible.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations on the Renegade! You are probably really excited to pick it up!
Mixed excitement and dread. Haven't had vehicle payments in years.

But a big selling point is that FCA Canada is offering 0% financing on most of their models. And interestingly enough, when I asked what the price would be if I paid cash, they told me there'd be no reduction--which is different from every other time I've asked about 0% financing, as they usually make up the financing charges by upping the price.

The thing is, while yes I wil put money down on it, there is no incentive to put lots down, as the amount I end up paying will be the same no matter what.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, no discount for cash, the tight gits.
I'm sure they've got the finance fees built into the price, they're just not being very open about it. Oh, well...if I have to pay the fees anyway, then I'm going to take advantage of the financing and keep my money in my own account for as long as I can.

The thing is, the Renegade is an expensive vehicle in Canada (well, all vehicles are expensive here, compared to the US). But they don't seem to have gone up significantly since last year, when they were charging something like 6%. I get the feeling a lot of Canadians found the Renegade simply too much $$$ in 2015, so FCA Canada had to come up with something to drive sales.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.