Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new to me (2016 Renegade w/15,430 mi). Had it 2 weeks, check engine light on. Brought it back to dealership, said it had to go to jeep dealership. I asked what codes it was throwing, they provided the 2 it showed. FF a few days, dealership has no update.. I call the jeep dealership it was at and was told it had MANY stored codes, a laundry list of them... but they couldn't do anything about any of them since none of them were active, and there is no active check engine light on at the moment (because when 1st dealership hooked it up to scanner, the dummy cleared the codes). Here's my question now that you know the basic back story. Can stored codes be fixed? The 2 provided to me were "communication" type codes.. and the only thing they are actually doing is replacing the damn radiator due to the recent recall/issues. Um, what about the communication problems?? Doesn't the jeep dealership have the ability to investigate the stored codes and fix the actual problem?? Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It depends on the codes , a lot of time a stored code is only there to show that there was an error and will go away if it doesn't happen a certain amount of time. Knowing what codes you were given would help a lot.

·
Registered
431 Posts
On or about 2016/2018, FCA Group/Chrysler installed the Chrysler's Security Gateway Module (SGM) on their vehicles to prevent hijacking.

This limits us, the normal people/non-dealership automotive enthusiast to access the vehicles primary on-board computers.
We, still have the ability to see certain functions and clear pending codes. But, once the code become permanent, we (the normal people/non-dealership automotive enthusiast) can't access the computer to clear these codes.

The funny part is, even the dealers are locked out. They have to by pass the SGM in order to flash updates or even clear the permanent Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's).
Which in turn gives them (the dealers) an excuse to charge us extra (additional labor time), because they have to get to the SGM to bypass it in order to properly diagnose our vehicles software issues.

The tool that they use to bypass the SGM is called a "Bosting Cable Adapter". Once the SGM is bypassed, they simply plug their scan tool into the Bosting Cable Adapter and then can clear the permanent codes, flash updates, etcetera.

You can get an idea of how it is done from here.

If you have your own scanner, check for codes once in a while to see if something comes up as pending. That code, the first code is usually the cause, when left unresolved, is usually the cause of the additional codes as the vehicle tries to compensate for the initial issue/fault.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts