Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the 2018 Jeep Renegade Sport from CarMax three weeks ago. I purchased it after a ton of issues I had with my 2017 Chevy Sonic where I put all my savings into the repairs. I was surprised, however, on Saturday when the Renegade broke down. I had noticed the oil was leaking and had made an appointment but not in time for it to break down. After three hours on the side of the road, CarMax towed it and let me know that it broke down due to the oil pressure from losing all the oil. Apparently the oil filter hadn't been screwed on tight which is why I was losing oil. This makes sense to me, but I also know from my research that oil issues are pretty common with the Renegade. I just wanted to see if other people were having oil issues or not with this vehicle. The car currently has 48,000 miles on it.

I'm still within the 30-day give back window with CarMax so I've been debating whether to exchange the car for something more reliable (possibly Hyundai Tucson). Especially since I already spent so much money on repairs for my previous vehicle and my auto savings are pretty tapped. I love the overall look of the Renegade Sport though so that's the conflict I'm currently dealing with.

· Registered
2,202 Posts
Welcome!

As far as I know (I've got a 2021 Trailhawk with the 1.3T engine), the only Renegade engine that had oil-consumption issues was the 2.4L Tigershark engine.

Yeah, the oil filter not being screwed on tightly would be an issue...

· Registered
2,202 Posts
We have the 2.4 [...] with 0 oil problems.
Of course, I'm not implying that all or most of the 2.4L engines had oil problems. Just that almost-all of the oil problems have been with those engines.

There's a recall regarding that.

I just think that if CarMax found a loose oil filter, then (in the words of Myth Busters), "well, there's your problem right there."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts