Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very happy with it, bought it April 4th and I almost have 2000 miles in it and the 9 speed transmission works perfect, my only concern is that even if you're going 65 miles per hour, A/C off, flat road (highway), driving alone with no extra baggage, you will not get the 31 mpg FCA promised, you will get at the most 28, and that's driving 300 miles non stop at 65 mph, I feel FCA should adjust the mileage a little bit, they're are lying!!

Joel from Overland Park, Kansas.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The reason you are getting 28mpg instead of 31mpg is because the EPA rates vehicles at 55mph, not 65mph. ;)
The EPA says a vehicle that gets 30 mpg at 55 mph will drop to about 28 mpg when the speed reaches 65 mph and fall to 24 mpg once you hit 75 mph.

Your results will vary, of course, depending on the vehicle, the load, weather and your driving style.
The EPA derives it's estimates from driving simulations done in a laboratory. The highway simulation covers 10.3 miles at an average speed of 48.3 mph, with about half the time spent at 55-60 mph. Not exactly real-world. Since 2008 the EPA has included an 8-mile trip that adds more aggressive acceleration, spurts up to 80 mph and more than half the time over 60 mph — somewhat closer to reality. Neither test runs at a steady speed, the kind of driving you will likely do and an approach that should improve your mileage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.