Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Me and my wife had an unfortunate experience with a Dodge Dart I posted about in the problem section and some bad luck with the very first Renegade and loaner Renegade we drove. I'm happy to say our dealership has taken care of us and we have a brand new 2015 Sierra Blue Renegade Latitude with the popular equipment and cold weather packages awaiting us today once it's done getting ceramic window tint and paint protection film.

The main reason we picked the Renegade was mainly for my wife. She has a herniated disc in her back that was fused earlier this year. Something that sits higher up than a car, but still has great road manners and gas mileage. She drove the Renegade and fell in love with it. When I finally got a chance to drive it, I really enjoyed it too. Handles really well for a crossover, much better than a lot of them. I'm 6'6" and I had to move the seat up to drive it some and I'm mostly legs. The passenger seat is even very comfortable leg room wise for me. It's got some character too which matches my wife's personality. She says it has "spunk".

I came from the FR-S/BRZ community myself. I recently traded my FR-S in for a Corolla to get a more practical daily driver that gets great gas mileage. I am very car savvy thanks to working on the FR-S. It taught me so much and now I can bring that knowledge to other vehicles.

Either way, happy to be a part of the community and it's not even my car! We just hope we are free of the early on issues with this one and can get out and enjoy it.

:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Enjoy your replacement car. Hopefully this one will be trouble free (mine has been trouble free).

Reactions: Ronda and Blue

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Do you still have the FRS? It looks so cool when I see it around town. Knowing its cheap, i am always tempted to look into getting one.
I ended up trading mine in and getting a 2015 Corolla LE Eco for something cheap, reliable, and practical for the daily drive. I had a lot of fun with it from driving the curvy roads in Texas, to car shows and meeting new people. It's definitely not a car for everyone. Biggest complaint is lack of power, but there's a reason for that. It turns circles around cars twice it's pricetag on a race track because it handles so well. I put a lot of money into mine with modding from suspension, full exhaust, tuned, wheels/tires, body kit. It was really fun, but the crowd that buys them are in the younger 20's audience. I'm 31 now.

What you won't hear much of is the negatives that came with owning a first year car because there weren't too many thankfully.

1) Crickets from the High Pressure Fuel Pump never went away. They still continue to this day on 2015 models and will probably continue on the 2016's
2) Front bumper never sat flush after removing it. No matter how nitpicky you got with it, it would never re-align. I believe this is fixed in later models.
3) Sealant on the oil Camshafts leaked a little. This required them to have to be resealed by you or the dealer. Fixed in later models.

Those are literally the three biggest issues I had with the car. Other than that, reliability has been extremely solid on the 2.0L Boxer. So reliable that Subaru uses it in the WRX now going forward. I'm also 6'6" so space was very limited for me, but I did fit. Certainly a fun car if you want twisty roads, but don't plan on racing anyone in a straight line. You will lose to a minivan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far, Gumball 2.0 has been alive for over 600 miles! No issues. There was a miscommunication on getting the paint protection done and it was only done on half the hood and fenders. The dealer is taking responsibility for this and its going back in to get completely covered in paint protection film on those pieces. The back left window bubbled up on the tint too somehow. The tint shop I go to stands behind their work and any imperfections will be taken care of. The ceramic window tint is a MUST in Texas. It keeps the heat out, and the cold inside as well. That will also be fixed and we'll be on our happy way.

The general manager at Covert Chrysler/Dodge/RAM/Jeep in Austin, TX has been outstanding. He's helped us so much throughout this process. We haven't signed the paperwork yet for this second Renegade because he wanted us to drive it for a week to make sure we didn't get any check engine lights. He was willing to refund every penny of our loan if this one flopped.

Looks like we're here to stay this round. I've also heard that touch-up paint isn't available for Sierra Blue, so having the paint protection film just became more valuable to me.

Planning on getting some custom seat covers for the back too for the 4-legged creatures to ride around on. Look forward to the fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
East Texas here!

I have had my Renegade for 1 week today and I love it. The only issues I have had were 1) water in one rear tail light and 2) rear tire kept going flat. My care was driven down to me from northeast Texas so it had a little over 200 miles on it when I picked it up. The dealer has ordered a new seal for the tail light and the rear tire had picked up a screw in transport, so they fixed that without any questions.

I have almost 600 miles on the Renegade now, and everything else has been great. I'm a photographer and I have to head out of state for a shoot this weekend, so it will be my first official road trip, not counting driving an hour each way to go grocery shopping last weekend (got to love small town Texas!).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We got our Gumball back yesterday after it got its full paint protection done on the entire fenders and hood. It has been fully detailed and looks great! I'll have to snap some pictures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.