Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
at first I thought this was super cool. But the more videos I watched I gotta wonder... whats the benefit of this contraption over the stock unit? Because I dont see any additional features

·
Registered
157 Posts
The standard one does that also.
This one states that you can actually change all the settings from an aftermarket radio. I haven't seen any adapters that can do this yet.

"Allows clock change and vehicle settings from aftermarket head unit. Retains OEM parking sensor graphics."

Also, you will have to cut plastic behind the dash to make room for a double din head unit but that would happen with any kit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
at first I thought this was super cool. But the more videos I watched I gotta wonder... whats the benefit of this contraption over the stock unit? Because I dont see any additional features
This is just an install kit to allow you to install an aftermarket radio but you still are able to change the uconnect settings. This would be for people with the 5.0 radio, not the 6.5

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like I said previously this is an adapter to add an aftermarket radio. This means you can add a double din headunit from any manufacturer and still retain the ability to change u connect settings. As far as extra "features" it will all depend on what deck you buy. This does mean that you can add a unit with navigation, android auto support or any other feature you personally feel is missing. Also most aftermarket head units will be 6.5" or 7" so you will get a bigger screen. Finally most aftermarket head units make have a more powerful amp inside to drive aftermarket speakers and has pre outs for external amps.

The video is simply demonstrating how to install the adapter and also the fact that unconnect features and settings are retained. The fetures that are added are all dependent on what aftermarket deck you get so there is no way for them to show that since it will be different between manufacturers and models.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Like I said previously this is an adapter to add an aftermarket radio. This means you can add a double din headunit from any manufacturer and still retain the ability to change u connect settings. As far as extra "features" it will all depend on what deck you buy. This does mean that you can add a unit with navigation, android auto support or any other feature you personally feel is missing. Also most aftermarket head units will be 6.5" or 7" so you will get a bigger screen. Finally most aftermarket head units make have a more powerful amp inside to drive aftermarket speakers and has pre outs for external amps.
I like that it retains the ability to change U Connect settings with another aftermarket unit. Now I'm curious, how big of an after market unit can one get? The current unit is 6.5" but how would one get anything bigger to fit in with the facia or are there aftermarket facias for bigger units?

TS

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hypothetically, this could allow for a head unit with a better interface to be installed in the car without the downside of losing any features native to the stock HU.

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
I like that it retains the ability to change U Connect settings with another aftermarket unit. Now I'm curious, how big of an after market unit can one get? The current unit is 6.5" but how would one get anything bigger to fit in with the facia or are there aftermarket facias for bigger units?

TS
Double din. It's pretty standard. so whatever they can cram in that.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
No, I know about the double din, I am referring to the surround. I like the look of the stock unit surround with it saying Jeep and all.

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
No, I know about the double din, I am referring to the surround. I like the look of the stock unit surround with it saying Jeep and all.
I don't see you fitting much in there with teh stock fascia. That'd be pretty shallow at the bottom. Unless someone makes a really shallow double din unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
Ok, to put it in perspective, that looks like a parrot asteroid smart they installed. it is in theory 7 x 3.93 x 4.49’’, good luck guessing if the depth is 3.93 or 4.49, my best guess based on a picture of the SD card slot cover is that it is 3.93" deep. It is pretty shallow.

alpine makes a car play shallow mount unit that is 3" deep.

The limiting factor may be the bracket and it's attempt to orient the unit vertically. Rather than at an angle. So you may have options if you start fabricating stuff.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It allows you to use a better head unit that has more sound contouring features. The stock head unit is not really great at that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.