Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Took our first highway trip with the Jeep last night. Topped off before I got on the highway. 90% at 75mph, 5% at 80mph, another 5% at 60mph. Averaged 26.5. A little lower than I had hoped, but then I doubt that gubment 29mpg highway number is at 75mph. It was a fun and comfortable trip.

The best part of the trip was the reason we were making it...picking up a set of winter wheels! My Latitude has the optional 18" wheels, which I'd like to keep out of the Michigan salt (it eats aluminum rims). I had been eyeing a steel set of 16s, but they were a good 5-6 hours away. My priority was finding winter wheels and tires for my wifes car. But while searching (and failing for the moment) to find some for her, I stumbled across these '16 Trailhawk take-offs that are spotless for less money, and a lot closer to home. Came with wheel bolts too.

I'll probably be ordering tires tomorrow, and I'll have to do something about the TPMS sensors. So while the timing was not perfect, I'm pretty excited to have these. They are much, much nicer than what I had envisioned my 2nd set of wheels would be. In fact, they are so nice, I'm going to feel a little guilty about them being my winter and soft-roading wheel. But not too guilty! 馃槇

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
My one disappointment in this Jeep thus far has been squeaks and rattles in the interior. It's bad. Like concert hall full of crickets bad. Not much to do but chase them down one at a time. But this could take a lifetime.

Anyway, have seen a few threads about 2.4L Tigershark engine oil usage. So when we hit halftime in the Lions game, I stepped outside to pull the dipstick. As expected, no issues there.

This was my first good look around since test driving the truck. This doesn't look right. Washer fluid fill neck not clipped to it's bracket. Probably NOT one of the many noises I'm hearing, but perhaps. Either way, not right.

Seemed to clip back on like it should. I'll have to check again soon and see if it has stayed attached.

And this doesn't look right.

So I started looking and feeling around. Lo and behold....

This MAY well have been one of the things I heard rattling around. Did not exactly re-attach with great authority, so this too will warrant checking on again in a few days.

A productive use of halftime. :)

Registered
Took our first highway trip with the Jeep last night. Topped off before I got on the highway. 90% at 75mph, 5% at 80mph, another 5% at 60mph. Averaged 26.5. A little lower than I had hoped, but then I doubt that gubment 29mpg highway number is at 75mph. It was a fun and comfortable trip.

The best part of the trip was the reason we were making it...picking up a set of winter wheels! My Latitude has the optional 18" wheels, which I'd like to keep out of the Michigan salt (it eats aluminum rims). I had been eyeing a steel set of 16s, but they were a good 5-6 hours away. My priority was finding winter wheels and tires for my wifes car. But while searching (and failing for the moment) to find some for her, I stumbled across these '16 Trailhawk take-offs that are spotless for less money, and a lot closer to home. Came with wheel bolts too.

I'll probably be ordering tires tomorrow, and I'll have to do something about the TPMS sensors. So while the timing was not perfect, I'm pretty excited to have these. They are much, much nicer than what I had envisioned my 2nd set of wheels would be. In fact, they are so nice, I'm going to feel a little guilty about them being my winter and soft-roading wheel. But not too guilty! 馃槇
Your MPG is right about where I was for highway driving... at those speeds. lol
TPMS sensors; most tire shops carry the sensors for our Renegade, at about $65.00 each. $45.00 each from Tire Rack. The ones that I got from America;s Tire are self leaning that require no setup, install and go. The Jeep had no problem adjusting to them.

Registered
Did the Renegade quiet down at all after you reattached the battery cover and the windshield washer fill? You are lucky the battery cover didn't go down into the fan. Mine is still pretty quiet as far as rattles and squeaks go considering it has 82k on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Your MPG is right about where I was for highway driving... at those speeds. lol
TPMS sensors; most tire shops carry the sensors for our Renegade, at about $65.00 each. $45.00 each from Tire Rack. The ones that I got from America;s Tire are self leaning that require no setup, install and go. The Jeep had no problem adjusting to them.
Thanks I.D.M.O.R. (What is your name, anyway?) Good to know on the fuel mileage. I usually run about 5 over the posted limit, to avoid getting run over. And in this stretch, the posted limit is 70 and 75, so running 75 and 80 was sort of the norm. Slowing down would not hurt the M.P.G.

That was the only disappointment on the wheels I bought. The sellers tire shop had taken them for the other wheels it appears.

I'm seeing these on Rock Auto. Cheapies at $22.79 ea., or a Standard part that is self-learning for $57.79. You can guess which ones I'm interested in! LOL

I was in a local U-Pull-&-Save parts place yesterday, and they had a sign up that they would programs sensors for $30 a car. I have no idea if that's a good price or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Did the Renegade quiet down at all after you reattached the battery cover and the windshield washer fill? You are lucky the battery cover didn't go down into the fan. Mine is still pretty quiet as far as rattles and squeaks go considering it has 82k on it.
I just did that a few minutes ago. I'll drive it to work in the morning and see. I sort of doubt either mill make a difference. That terminal cover was pretty wedged in where it was. And the filler neck has a convolute section that keeps it sort of centered in it's space. I don't think it could have moved enough to vibrate against anything.

90% of the rattles are in the passenger area. There is one (I will call it) from the cowl/front of dash/engine compartment, and one in the cargo area.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Tires are due here around Friday. TPMS sensors on Saturday.

I hate to say this (jinx), but thus far I have had no rattling component noises from under the hood. Which suits me just fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
I ordered the tires from TireBuyer.com, based on a post here from a memebr that mentioned a TireBuyer rebate. Their local installer for me was PepBoys. Everything went great. TireBuyer order was right, on time, got the rebate. PepBoys was also great. No Manny, Mo or Jack, but a Frank. Good people.

I bought the cheapest set of TPMS sensors I could find on ebay. The bag came with a Mopar part # on it, and 4 individually wrapped sensors inside. They promised to be self pairing to the vehicle within 10 miles. I was a bit of a doubting Thomas on those. But I drove maybe a mile, and the TPMS light went off, and the new tires and their pressures were displayed.

So I had a great experience with it. TH 17" take-offs, $40 ea. Like brand new. The tires are Falken Wildpeak AT Trails, designed for vehicles just like ours. I only drove a few miles home from the store, but I can tell you that thus far they drive and feel just like a std. tire. And are absolutely as quiet as the Kumhos that came off (a tire I've also been pleased with).

The pretty fall settings are gone, and so was the daylight. But here's what they look like.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good. I think I got lucky yesterday, and scored a few items for the Renegade. Going to go out and inventory things in a little while. I will post back with pictures. 馃

21 - 40 of 44 Posts