Jeep Renegade Forum banner

New Roof Rack!

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Dartser 
#1 ·
After a lot of research and cruising craigslist, I was able to purchase a roof rack system from Amazon for our mountain bikes! It's a Malone crossbar system, Inno fairing, Rockymounts 9mm Pitchfork for my Wahoo, and a SportRack Upshift for my fiancée's Skye...pretty easy to put together and get on the roof. Minimal tools and everything fits together pretty solid. No real wind noise added and was feeling great at 70 mph. What's great too is if we want I can transfer the whole thing to the Subie as well (except the fairing so it doesn't interfere with the sunroof). Very happy with my harlequin purchase and looks great on the Rene!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
When I saw the pics from the OP with bikes standing up I cringed a bit.

Yeah, I got a bit paranoid this weekend myself when I saw a "Caution 7'1" Clearance" sign. I just have a 6" tall rack on crossbars, but I had never really measured the total height. I stopped, grabbed a tape measure that I have in the Renegade, and stepped out.

Then I chuckled at my paranoia. I am 6'4" and the top of the rack was not much, if any, taller than me. I have a feeling that I am going to be the guy on the trail that everyone laughs at as I get out and measure stuff constantly, until I get feel for my actual dimensions & limits of this new ride. However, I guess I am less likely to be the guy they find wedged between two boulders or between the ground and fallen tree ;)

#14 ·
Affirm! those are the 50". The front bar is very close to being tight, but there is no strain on the end-caps, and the rear bar sticks out .5" on either side. Very simple install and I was afraid the quality would be poor, but is it great so far.

does it create any wind buffeting? THats probaably my pet peeve with crossbars... and has it affected your fuel econ?
I have not experienced any buffeting or extreme wind noise. A little bit, but nothing compared to my rag top Wrangler from years ago. There is a little increased wind noise, but I believe the fairing is helping some and I have the music up pretty high and drive with the windows down a lot anyway, so doesn't bother me that much. My Fusion I traded in for the Rene had a low ticking in step 1 of the A/C and that was much more annoying than anything I have experienced with this roof rack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.