Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new compact SUV and the Jeep Renegade caught my eye.

I've lurked here some and see the issues with engine/transmission/AC/door locks...The unintended acceleration issue I read about on another website is downright dangerous! But what's the fix for that?

Renegades look sharp. Most reviews I've read and seen online are good but "quality" (however you define it) seems to be an
issue. I also find it odd that the most often applied fix is to upgrade software!

I know it is the first production year of a whole new product line coming from manufacturers that have historically low quality issues...Still, I consider owning one!

Any thoughts or advice for someone in the market for this vehicle? Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got hooked on the looks of the Renegade while looking for a Patriot for my son. He convinced me to sell him my Patriot Limited, so I decided to get a Renegade for myself. I too lurked here for a couple of weeks reading threads about problems, and decided that most of the issues centered around the automatic transmission. I have several other vehicles that are manual transmission, so driving a stick doesn't bother me in the least. As a bonus, the manuals usually get better gas mileage too! I was concerned with the tiny 1.4L engine, but after test driving it I was sold. It has lots of pep, and can jump from a start rather quickly. Since that motor has been around for a while in a few other vehicles, it has a proven record and there are lots of upgrades that can easily push it past the performance level of the 2.4L motor. I'm a big fan of turbos, and this little motor doesn't disappoint. I decided what I wanted in a Renegade (Latitude, 4x4, manual transmission), and began my search. After searching the web for dealers that had the model and color I wanted, I started emailing them to work a deal. After a few weeks of calls, emails, and a few dealership visits, I set my sights on the only Latitude 4x4 manual Renegade within about 80 miles of me that was in one of the colors I wanted. It was only about 8 miles from my house! The next closest were about 200-250 miles away. I worked on the deal for about 10 days, and finally got it at the price I wanted. I've had it for about 10 days now, and absolutely love it! I've only got a couple hundred miles on it, but I'll be putting a lot more on it in the coming weeks, including a weekend without any pavement. If you can live with a manual transmission, a lot of the reported issues immediately disappear. There is always the chance that something else can go wrong, but nothing mechanical is perfect. Test drive one, and that'll help with your decision.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've had (3) favorite cars, all Jeeps. I'm 51. My Renegade is my first "new" car ever. LOVED my Jeep Liberty (it was a stickshift) before this, and was lured to this by it's look, mileage, and availability of stick. I enjoy the Liberty's manual transmission, and was the ONLY Liberty with manual my local dealership had ever seen....took care of the old Liberty, and even sold it to a friend who ASKED to buy it...so, if care of a NEW vehicle pays off in the long run, I'll enjoy this AND have no problem selling when the time is right.

It's a fun vehicle, the fuel consumption is excellent for me, it's an all around nice replacement for me for the Liberty. MY only issues are with the Uconnect dashboard radio, which has not only it's tiny quirks but also has an issue with many AM radio broadcasters. We're working to stay on "the radar" with that, but have been less than politely told we're not a concern to Uconnect.

Car: Love it.
Radio: (controls much of the car's options)...Good with controlling options, bad for some broadcasters and features.

Would still buy again, looking forward to aftermarket add-ons for it, and have not had ANY of the major issues other posters here have reported thus far, still under a thousand miles, much of it weekend highway driving.

On the good side: you'll have the warranty, and the RIGHT to report quirks to your dealer and to others, here.
On the bad side, it IS for us, as I understand it the first production year, coming to USA....but so far, so good for this owner without major worries.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Take the plunge and go for it! I'm glad I did. Ok, I've had mine twelve days and I love it. Some have had issues, others haven't. You'll get someone scare mongering, but you'll get that whatever marque you choose. You can sit it out until everybody is happy, but you'll have a long wait as not everybody will be happy, but the majority will be. Go for a solar yellow one, but I am biased as our Renegade is solar yellow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't have mine yet but I look at it this way: if your only concern was reliability you wouldn't be looking at a Jeep, you'd be buying a Honda CRV.

I considered the same things you have been, but in the end I decided I should get the vehicle I actually want and deal with any issues as they come rather than buy what I think will bore me to death but run without a hitch. My only hope is that my Renegade can be the best of both scenarios.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought a Renegade Sport back in June, now has 5500 miles. No problems so far. You mention unintended acceleration, my rig has the 9 speed auto and I think their talking about the dual clutch setup can be a little weird at first to get used to. Especially when cold, you really have to hold onto the brake or it can get away from you if your not aware of how it acts, after warm up it's better. After driving it you will quickly get used to that little quirk. You also mentioned a concern about reliability. Be aware that Chrysler, through Mopar offers a Mopar Vehicle Protection plan, which means you can buy a package that will cover either 800+ items or 5000+ items for the life of the vehicle, that's right, unlimited miles, unlimited years. I got the 800+ package, which covers a full range of stuff including all the drive train, computers, steering, air cond. system, brakes, suspension, and on and on, it was about 2500 but when folded into the loan, makes it affordable, and certainly gives you piece of mind. Chrysler is the only one that offers such a warranty. We really like our Reny as it is fun to drive, can carry alot, and fuel mileage is decent getting 29 on recent trips with air on and averaging 75 mph. One drawback is the small gas tank which limits range, only 12.7 gallons, not so cool. But overall pretty pleased with this little Jeep.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You will hear more from people about problems in a forums setting than from those that have no issues. Most issues that have been discovered in this first year surround software updates which have been resolved. As with ANY vehicle, there are always anomalies. But test drive one. Test drive several! Test drive a manual (if you can drive a stick) and an automatic and see which you prefer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I intend to test drive one this coming weekend. I can't drive stick so those are out of the question. It's odd but everyone in my family and some of my friends all hate it. It's too boxy or looks like the "hamster car" I am told. So that means only I'll drive it! I'm more partial to red or blue than yellow and I've been looking for a smaller SUV ever since I traded in my 88 Chevy S10 Blazer many moons ago.

Another thing I am finding is when I do a "build" on the Jeep website, no dealer in my area has what I am looking for. I live in the Chicago suburbs. I find that odd considering I don't want much.

Thanks also for the info on the protection plan. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've had mine for about 3 months and ive hit 5000 miles. I've had zero problems. It's been a great vehicle so far. Which trim are you looking at? I have the Trailhawk. I also used to live in Chicagoland. A 4WD Renegade would do nicely there, especially during the winter!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I purchased a Trailhawk in early April (January build date). I have around 4,000 trouble free miles on it (I use the motorbike a lot in the summer so the Jeep sits idle). Some have had problems, but many more have not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm looking at a 4x4 Limited with the 2.4L engine, automatic transmission and the cold weather package. Trailhawk is out of my price range, looks like. It seems like no one has the cold weather package which is odd.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ordered my trail hawk with the cold weather package. I also ordered the towering package and remote start. After 2 months I am still waiting for it to come in. Still in D1 status so it hasn't even been built yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm looking at a 4x4 Limited with the 2.4L engine, automatic transmission and the cold weather package. Trailhawk is out of my price range, looks like. It seems like no one has the cold weather package which is odd.
I ordered mine with the cold weather package. I am not living through another miserable Mass winter without a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Approaching 12k miles in mine... have gotten used to the quirks. :) There are the software updates that I still need to have done but I really love the ride and handling. Few minor issues along the way but nothing major and most definitely not anything near some of the other problems I've read about on here.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You will hear more from people about problems in a forums setting than from those that have no issues. Most issues that have been discovered in this first year surround software updates which have been resolved. As with ANY vehicle, there are always anomalies. But test drive one. Test drive several! Test drive a manual (if you can drive a stick) and an automatic and see which you prefer.
I test drove both as well, and the auto is ok, but the gearbox on the manual is so smooth and has a perfect engagement feel on the clutch, I was so impressed by it, I didn't expect that from a Jeep, as the manual wrangler's feel terrible in comparison to this Renegade!

Reactions: R3N3GAD3

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm more partial to red or blue than yellow and I've been looking for a smaller SUV ever since I traded in my 88 Chevy S10 Blazer many moons ago.

Another thing I am finding is when I do a "build" on the Jeep website, no dealer in my area has what I am looking for. I live in the Chicago suburbs. I find that odd considering I don't want much.
I took my driving test on a 1991 S10 Blazer. That could be one of the reasons I was so interested in the Renegade since I decided to get away from coupes. The Renegade is very similar in dimension to the Blazers around that time.

When I searched for the exact configuration I wanted, I couldn't find it. All I wanted was an otherwise stock Latitude in blue with the manual and the cold weather package. So I ordered it a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a 2006 Jeep Wrangler and when I first saw the Renegade, I was doing the 'it isn't a jeep'....thing....right up until I test drove it! I WAS going to get a new wrangler...WAS....I was hooked. Drove the Latitude...did my research, compared the models...drove in, found a Limited I loved and drove off and haven't looked back once! LOL...I love my Renny....1800 miles since I bought it on Aug 9th and just smile everytime I get in....everyone thought I was nuts, 'it's the FIRST year! Are you CRAZY?'....yup, I am....crazy HAPPY!

Good luck in your decision, I am happy with the quality, the bells and whistles and the pep this baby has!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.