Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Rene a whole new set up and am curious to see if anyone has replaced the system in their Jeep yet.

I picked up all Kicker products..

CS354, 3.5 Dash Speakers
TCWRT104, 10 inch Subwoofer that ended up fitting perfectly in the extra space in the truck.
KSC6934 6" x 9" Tri-axial speakers, 4 6x9 speakers for each door.

My Jeep did not come with any sub (2 dash speakers, 4 doors speakers, and no sub) so I decided to amp it up. The system in this Jeep are awfully poor.

I am interested to know if anyone as installed anything and the experience they had! I cannot wait to hook mine up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was disappointed as well once I got mine but I'd like to stick to factory head unit. Maybe I can add a sub and amp??

Yeah I am not a fan of it myself. I am an audio guy and I just couldn't really enjoy my music.

However, you can absolutely add a sub to your system easily. Kicker has a hideaway sub (8 inches and very easy to hide) that will add much more bass to your stereo. I have seen them hide under seats, trucks, etc. It is an amp+sub in one. Definitely something I recommend. They run around 300 but eBay has new ones for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172105461624?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 12" kicker pro-comp subs and a high efficiency 1200W amp, working on designing a custom enclosure that fits where a full size spare would go if I had one.
Nice! I was also going to go with a 2 12 or maybe even 1 12 inch sub but the problem is the trunk space. I do have a 600 and 300 watt amps (for bass and speakrs). I did not want to sacrifice all of it for audio/bass if I can just get a 10 inch sub that still kicks and hide it completely. I often find myself in Home Depot/filling my truck often and I would hate to have it taken all up.

I love the space I have available to me.

Great set up though. Did you add an new speakers for the doors and dash?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah I am not a fan of it myself. I am an audio guy and I just couldn't really enjoy my music.

However, you can absolutely add a sub to your system easily. Kicker has a hideaway sub (8 inches and very easy to hide) that will add much more bass to your stereo. I have seen them hide under seats, trucks, etc. It is an amp+sub in one. Definitely something I recommend. They run around 300 but eBay has new ones for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172105461624?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Would I have to wire it or what all would i have to do?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Would I have to wire it or what all would i have to do?
Yup!

1. First you would find a location for the Hideaway, such as under and seat or even in the trunk if you wish.

2. Next you screw it in (you do or you do not it is not really a big deal, although I do recommend it if you do it under a seat so it never moves and gets in the way!).

3. Then you would have to wire the ground to somewhere in the Jeep that is touching metal, such as a screw or something. This essentially gives the sub/amp its power/its circuit instead of all from the battery and it also protects the product from blowing.

4. You now have to run the wires which is the hardest part IMO which is running the speakers wires to the front of the Jeep. I would not do this without experience, as you would have to conceal it under the floor or through siding etc etc. Once you run the cables to the engine you would most likely go through a firewall (an opening to the engine from the inside of the car, which is where most people run the wires to the engine). The wires never go TO the engine, just up in the front right to the stereo. The only wire that goes to the engine is the battery wire, which will give the Hideaway power. This one red wire goes right to the + connection to your battery in your Jeep. This wire should never be touching or near the engine, but concealed properly to the battery of the Jeep.

5. Take apart the whole radio! Yay! If you thought step 4 was hard, this step is harder. Once you successfully take apart the radio plug in the sub cables into the sub input in the stereo. If all is well, you should see a spot to plug in the sub.

6. Youre done! Then you can close it all off and put back the radio and you should hear bass!

If all this sounds like Japanese (or English if you are Japanese) then I would recommend brining this to a local Best Buy or something to have it done. I will have mine done there. Hopefully this helps, or this video!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me know if your headlights start flickering at high volume after you get all this installed. I am still scratching my head after doing the Big 3 and adding a second battery, the light still flicker when the bass starts pounding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
2 12" kicker pro-comp subs and a high efficiency 1200W amp, working on designing a custom enclosure that fits where a full size spare would go if I had one.
What all did you have to do in order to get that installed? Are you using the factory head unit? Any adapters? I use to wire older vehicles, but those vehicles seemed a lot easier than these cars now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yup!

1. First you would find a location for the Hideaway, such as under and seat or even in the trunk if you wish.

2. Next you screw it in (you do or you do not it is not really a big deal, although I do recommend it if you do it under a seat so it never moves and gets in the way!).

3. Then you would have to wire the ground to somewhere in the Jeep that is touching metal, such as a screw or something. This essentially gives the sub/amp its power/its circuit instead of all from the battery and it also protects the product from blowing.

4. You now have to run the wires which is the hardest part IMO which is running the speakers wires to the front of the Jeep. I would not do this without experience, as you would have to conceal it under the floor or through siding etc etc. Once you run the cables to the engine you would most likely go through a firewall (an opening to the engine from the inside of the car, which is where most people run the wires to the engine). The wires never go TO the engine, just up in the front right to the stereo. The only wire that goes to the engine is the battery wire, which will give the Hideaway power. This one red wire goes right to the + connection to your battery in your Jeep. This wire should never be touching or near the engine, but concealed properly to the battery of the Jeep.

5. Take apart the whole radio! Yay! If you thought step 4 was hard, this step is harder. Once you successfully take apart the radio plug in the sub cables into the sub input in the stereo. If all is well, you should see a spot to plug in the sub.

6. Youre done! Then you can close it all off and put back the radio and you should hear bass!

If all this sounds like Japanese (or English if you are Japanese) then I would recommend brining this to a local Best Buy or something to have it done. I will have mine done there. Hopefully this helps, or this video!
Lol great write up. Like I said I've done the wiring before so it doesn't sound all that bad. When you get it let me know how it sounds and such. I probably will go with this!

·
Registered
89 Posts
What all did you have to do in order to get that installed? Are you using the factory head unit? Any adapters? I use to wire older vehicles, but those vehicles seemed a lot easier than these cars now.
I had a shop do it, but I have since taken the head unit off and looked at how they did it for another gentlemen that was asking.

They used a converter from the factory head-unit to an RCA output behind the head unit that runs down through the dash under the steering wheel, along the running boards, and into the cargo area in the back. My amp is currently bolted to the back of the seats (changing that soon)

It doesn't look all too complicated actually, I wired two 10" subs behind the seat of my '96 GMC Sierra to an aftermarket head unit and it looks to be about the same, just figuring out which wire does what in the jeep would have thrown me for a loop.

-BP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice! I was also going to go with a 2 12 or maybe even 1 12 inch sub but the problem is the trunk space. I do have a 600 and 300 watt amps (for bass and speakrs). I did not want to sacrifice all of it for audio/bass if I can just get a 10 inch sub that still kicks and hide it completely. I often find myself in Home Depot/filling my truck often and I would hate to have it taken all up.

I love the space I have available to me.

Great set up though. Did you add an new speakers for the doors and dash?
Haven't changed the door speakers just yet, working on some other mods as of late (lift kit, bull bar, HIDs, etc) but it's definitely on the "to do" list

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me know if your headlights start flickering at high volume after you get all this installed. I am still scratching my head after doing the Big 3 and adding a second battery, the light still flicker when the bass starts pounding.
How is your amp? Do the speakers over power them? If your lights are flickering I would say there is an issue were the amp/speakers are drawing too much power from the battery. It could possible be it is not grounded correctly. Did you do the install yourself?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you've wired up a system before, it's not that bad. I did exactly as he described and the physically hardest part was punching through the firewall using the high grommet (there's a lower firewall grommet that has easier access).

Once you get the wire color references to tap off and find your ground location it's not bad at all. The wires that the hideaway sub come with are a bit short so you may have to get creative, as I did.

It sounds great. I upgraded dash and door speakers also. I feel like 12s would be way too much for me. Sometimes this one gets overpowering.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts