Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the front struts on my 2015 Latitude after the driver's side was blown which was obvious. Interestingly, the passenger side was dead as well. When removed, and the piston was depressed, it didn't come back up all the way. I didn't have any issues while driving from the passenger side. I ordered the Bilstein B6's from Summit Racing for $122 each. Having spring compressors I did the work myself. Installed the ride was excellent so very happy with them. However, I noticed a clunking noise coming from the driver side (reason for the blown shock on driver side was from running over road debris dumped out of an open truck bed and unavoidable). Initially I thought I may have done something wrong with the assembly and install on the struts but have done this many times. I rechecked everything and made sure torque specs were compliant. Same result.

I disconnected the sway bar link on the driver side and the noise was gone and the ride was smooth as silk. I ordered new sway bar links from RockAuto. which arrived today. I ordered Mevotech which turned out to be a huge mistake. Just looking at them they seemed cheap (also noted they are made in China). Because I was immediately skeptical, I tightened a nut down while they were off to test the threads. They have a similar design in that you need to use a hex to hold the screw in place while tightening the nut. Reluctantly, I started the install on the driver side. As I suspected the metal is soft and it wasn't long before the hex fitting stripped as the nut was being tightened (no I didn't cross thead lol). I had to use vice grips to hold the screw while I backed the nut off. I repackaged and promptly got a return started. They're on their way back to RockAuto. I did some more research on various forums and talked to a few suspension shops who recommended Moog so I have those on order.

Just based on my experience I can say don't use Mevotech if you're thinking of, or need to replace your sway bar links. The Bilsteins however are very nice. I'll be replacing the rears soon with these.

·
Registered
417 Posts
While not surprising given their reputation, it is good to hear that the Bilstein struts performed well. (y)

Remember, the gas charge (what pushes the rod out when not installed on the vehicle) is there to help prevent foaming of the oil during sustained "washboard" type use. So while your passenger side strut may have begun to lose it's gas charge, the hydraulic portion may well have continued to function under normal driving, making that missing gas charge hard to identify. Nice to have that all behind you though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While not surprising given their reputation, it is good to hear that the Bilstein struts performed well. (y)

Remember, the gas charge (what pushes the rod out when not installed on the vehicle) is there to help prevent foaming of the oil during sustained "washboard" type use. So while your passenger side strut may have begun to lose it's gas charge, the hydraulic portion may well have continued to function under normal driving, making that missing gas charge hard to identify. Nice to have that all behind you though.
Good point regarding the function of the strut. Thank you. Always learning something from the forum!

·
Registered
417 Posts
In my personal experience (other may have different ones) factory struts generally don't make it past the 50k mark without suffering substantially degraded performance. Many don't notice, as it sneaks up on you over time. But once their changed, most folks can tell the differnece. With one limping along without a gas charge, and the other damaged, I'm sure the Bilsteins make the Jeep feel sporty and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
+1 for the "Bilsteins make the Jeep feel sporty and comfortable." I installed the B6 struts, NO complaints, love the new ride.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 for the "Bilsteins make the Jeep feel sporty and comfortable." I installed the B6 struts, NO complaints, love the new ride.
Did you replace all four? Also, did you replace your strut mounts? I didn't do the strut mounts but was thinking I might go ahead and do that although the process to arrive at the right part selection has been frustrating to say the least. I started looking online for the Mopar part and among the Mopar parts suppliers I kept coming up with part number 68277240AA as a replacement for my 2015 2.4L Latitude 4x2. I then saw that the part was replaced with 68442066AA as a fit. Prices were on average $68 per mount.

I decided to call my local dealership to compare. Of course they asked for the Vin# and proceeded to look up the part. They came up with an entirely new part # 68442095AA and they had one in stock. I asked how much and to my shock it was $193!! I asked them to look up the part number I had found online and they could not find it in their catalogue and couldn't find it anywhere. I asked how this could be when it can easily be found online from Mopar? The clerk replied (rather rudely) that what she found in their system was the part and if I didn't want it then they could not help me.

So, the cost of 2 mounts through Mopar for 70% of the cost of 1 through the dealer!!! Some of the Mopar sites do allow you to search by VIN # so I did that as well and it does come up with the part number the dealer came up with and sure enough it is more expensive ($101 on average per mount rather than $68) but it baffles me how one can search with the usual search criteria (year, make, model, engine, etc) and come up with a different OEM part ("This FIts Your 2015 Renegade 2.4...."). Makes me wonder if the dealerships utilize a different (more expensive) catalogue (obviously for higher profit). I spoke with another dealership 100 miles away and they indicated the dealer catalogue and the online Mopar part appear to be the same.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Did you replace all four? ...
I did replace all 4 struts.
I didn't replace the isolators, however, they probably should have been replaced while it was apart. I didn't want to go OEM (not impressed with their quality), but couldn't find quality aftermarket isolators that would fit.
I also did the AVID lift, and ATP Springs while it was apart.
... I also added a half ton of weight via, front and rear bumpers (AVID), winch (Warn) and rock sliders (Rocky Road Outfitters).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did replace all 4 struts.
I didn't replace the isolators, however, they probably should have been replaced while it was apart. I didn't want to go OEM (not impressed with their quality), but couldn't find quality aftermarket isolators that would fit.
I also did the AVID lift, and ATP Springs while it was apart.
... I also added a half ton of weight via, front and rear bumpers (AVID), winch (Warn) and rock sliders (Rocky Road Outfitters).
Wow you did a whole lot more than I'm doing! I agree with you on the quality issue which is why I got to thinking if the struts failed at 50k then I should probably just go ahead and replace the mounts. It's disappointing that there's nothing available other that "OEM". My Moog sway bar links are supposed to be here tomorrow so I'll get those installed then the mounts when they arrive. Anyway, sounds like you've done a nice build! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shout out to RockAuto; they already processed a full refund on the Mevotech sway bar links. Moog replacements supposed to arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I ordered MOOG K750795 end links from RockAuto. Their site and others list these as front or rear fitment. However, the rear OE links on my 2015 Trailhawk are significantly shorter than the front. I installed the fronts without issue, but when I saw the length difference on the rear I didn't even take the OE ones off.
What am I missing here? Is there a different part number I should get for the rear, or will the longer ones fit somehow?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered MOOG K750795 end links from RockAuto. Their site and others list these as front or rear fitment. However, the rear OE links on my 2015 Trailhawk are significantly shorter than the front. I installed the fronts without issue, but when I saw the length difference on the rear I didn't even take the OE ones off.
What am I missing here? Is there a different part number I should get for the rear, or will the longer ones fit somehow?
Not particularly useful for you but just visually checked my Latitude and the front and rear links are the same length. I did a quick check on Mopar Parts Wholesale and compared part numbers for the stock rear links on the Latitude and Trailhawk and the part number is the same for both. Not sure why yours would be shorter.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My front ones are about 11 inches and the rear are about 7.25 inches (center to center). I think I need MOOG K750909. for the rear. Can anybody confirm this?
What's annoying about the on-line selection, is that I'd already drilled down with year/make/model/etc and then I'm still presented with choices I need to make to get something that fits.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not particularly useful for you but just visually checked my Latitude and the front and rear links are the same length. I did a quick check on Mopar Parts Wholesale and compared part numbers for the stock rear links on the Latitude and Trailhawk and the part number is the same for both. Not sure why yours would be shorter.
Is your's front-wheel-drive by chance?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is your's front-wheel-drive by chance?
Mine is front wheel drive. I would see if you can call Moog customer service or one of those places and see if you can talk to a live person. This online ordering is frustrating at times!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How have the front links worked out? Please post what you find out about the rear links.
I got the Moogs installed on the front today (along with new mounts and spring isolators) and I'm happy with them. Test drive was like driving a new vehicle. The stock plastic ones were pretty much dry (and not serviceable). Install was a lot easier with these than stock or the Mevotech where you need to use a hex to hold the bolt in place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts