Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Pretty much have grown up in a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee my parents had and its the same Jeep I'm driving now. Really nice for a hand me down XD.

But recently just got a new job and I noticed that a car payment can work provided I save up a good down payment. Ive been obsessing over which car to get and something about the Renegade keeps drawing me to it (probably my fondness of the Jeep I drive now).

As for the trim levels I keep going back between the Latitude and the Trailhawk. Probably going to go Trailhawk as I'm looking at this as a long term investment and its better to have the capability and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus off roading is fun!

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and can't wait to start/finish navigating this buying process!

:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey everyone!

Pretty much have grown up in a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee my parents had and its the same Jeep I'm driving now. Really nice for a hand me down XD.

But recently just got a new job and I noticed that a car payment can work provided I save up a good down payment. Ive been obsessing over which car to get and something about the Renegade keeps drawing me to it (probably my fondness of the Jeep I drive now).

As for the trim levels I keep going back between the Latitude and the Trailhawk. Probably going to go Trailhawk as I'm looking at this as a long term investment and its better to have the capability and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus off roading is fun!

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and can't wait to start/finish navigating this buying process!

Welcome!
I had NO INTENTION of paying the extra money for a Trailhawk, until I drove it. Taller vehicle, seems to handle differently and I just like the ride a lot better, even on regular paved roads. I really wanted a trailer hitch, but that could not be found in a black Trailhawk, so I will have to add that later.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I say it depends on your driving choice. A latitude can be equipped to be beefier off road than a Trailhawk if so inclined for very little money. It comes down to do you want the 2.4L engine w/ the 9 spd Automatic? or do you prefer rowing your own gears and then you get the 1.4L Turbo engine w/ 6 spd manual. I did the latter and 3 weeks in pretty happy so far.

Reactions: Rick

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey everyone!

↑ this, see this ↓
I say it depends on your driving choice. A latitude can be equipped to be beefier off road than a Trailhawk if so inclined for very little money. It comes down to do you want the 2.4L engine w/ the 9 spd Automatic? or do you prefer rowing your own gears and then you get the 1.4L Turbo engine w/ 6 spd manual. I did the latter and 3 weeks in pretty happy so far.
If you've no interest in getting the stick but feel you'll want to hit the trails, get the Trailhawk. But like Jeepetto said, you can throw some of of the TH bits on a Latitude and then some if the 1.4T/6spd is the way you might want to go.

For me, the stick shift + AWD availability is the sole reason why I even considered Renegade. If you live stateside and want a hatched-back vehicle with all-wheel drive in a manual transmission, your choices are: Renegade, Patriot/Compass (lame ducks), Forester (bland), Impreza/XV Crosstrek (bland and suck on other levels), and Countryman (awesome but pricey). That's it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, as the days go on I'm leaning more towards the trail-hawk. I've never used a stick although it would be a cool skill to learn and would make driving more interesting.

The 4x4 feature is something I would really only need in the Winter and during the occasional camping trip/vacation. But I also have the mindset of never wanting to be caught off guard.

Im hoping to get out to test drive one in the next couple weeks, I just need to finish these final projects for college first.

Would I be better off waiting for the 2016 model to phase out (better price) or do you guys think the 2017 model will be better?

·
Registered
534 Posts
if the only had a 2.4L and the stick....
or the turbo on the TH...
Oh well I bought a TH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.