Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my special-order Renegade Trailhawk just arrived.

It's Granite Crystal Metallic. Good color; since my first choice, Sting-Grey, just looked greenish in the Colorado sun.

It's got the LED headlight option package (a must, though I would have actually preferred the cloth seats), and the sunroof/premium audio package (because why not?). Besides that, I had the dealer replace the stock tires with Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires that I'd ordered from tirerack.com, so I'd have at least a little real off-road capability; the dealer gave me a small credit for the take-offs.

I've been playing with the new Jeep (in the garage and driveway so far :) ).

I'm old-school as far as electronics. While I love the fact that the system has an on-board navigation system (and I don't have to depend on my cell phone via Bluetooth), I was disappointed that it doesn't have any on-board music storage -- not even an SD slot. I just don't want to depend on having my cell phone with me and connected. And while I listen mostly to SiriusXM, it's nice to have a choice.

So I got my old Android cell phone. It doesn't have a phone SIMM any more, but it does have a large-capacity micro-SD card on which I've got all my music. I've got it connected with a USB cable, and it'll just stay all the time in the cubby below the USB port. Works great.

I do have my current cell phone paired via Bluetooth, along with my wife's phone.

My next challenge will be to find storage for extra tools, first aid kit, warning triangle, fire extinguisher, and like that. The Trailhawk sacrifices a lot of storage for features like a full-size spare tire (a non-negotiable), and what I assume is a Kenwood amplifier behind a panel on the right side of the hatch where I think otherwise there would be a small cubby.

I'm going to do the flip-the-spare-tire hack to gain some extra space, as soon as I get the shorter bolt:

Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Extra Storage Hack - Bing video

So where are you-all stashing your stuff with a Trailhawk?

·
Registered
97 Posts

View attachment 2396350844

It's Granite Crystal Metallic. Good color; since my first choice, Sting-Grey, just looked greenish in the Colorado sun.

It's got the LED headlight option package (a must, though I would have actually preferred the cloth seats), and the sunroof/premium audio package (because why not?). Besides that, I had the dealer replace the stock tires with Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires that I'd ordered from tirerack.com, so I'd have at least a little real off-road capability; the dealer gave me a small credit for the take-offs.

I'm old-school as far as electronics. While I love the fact that the system has an on-board navigation system (and I don't have to depend on my cell phone via Bluetooth), I was disappointed that it doesn't have any on-board music storage -- not even an SD slot. I just don't want to depend on having my cell phone with me and connected. And while I listen mostly to SiriusXM, it's nice to have a choice.

So I got my old Android cell phone. It doesn't have a phone SIMM any more, but it does have a large-capacity micro-SD card on which I've got all my music. I've got it connected with a USB cable, and it'll just stay all the time in the cubby below the USB port. Works great.

I do have my current cell phone paired via Bluetooth, along with my wife's phone.

My next challenge will be to find storage for extra tools, first aid kit, warning triangle, fire extinguisher, and like that. The Trailhawk sacrifices a lot of storage for features like a full-size spare tire (a non-negotiable), and what I assume is a Kenwood amplifier behind a panel on the right side of the hatch where I think otherwise there would be a small cubby.

I'm going to do the flip-the-spare-tire hack to gain some extra space, as soon as I get the shorter bolt:

wow that is beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more pics of the interior. ENJOY!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Buy a USB micro drive, dump all your songs on it, plug it in the USB slot in the front of your console (not the one in the console box under the armrest). You'll barely notice the micro drive, it sticks out less than a quarter inch. If you choose a large drive that sticks out, you'll always be bumping it. 64GB drive is like 10 bucks on Amazon. I've been using mine since 2017, no issues, over 2,500 songs with plenty of room to spare. The only part sticking out is the black part, plug it in and leave it there, easy peasy.
micro drive.png

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Buy a USB micro drive, dump all your songs on it, plug it in the USB slot in the front of your console (not the one in the console box under the armrest).
That's actually a great idea! Thanks! I just ordered a 64GB one for about $13 -- way more capacity than I think I'll ever need.

But then, when I bought my first PC in 1985 (no hard drive), the sales guy wanted to sell me a box of 5.25" floppy disks. I said, "Naw, I'll just buy one floppy disk -- I don't see how I'll ever have more data than 360KB..." 🙄

Why would it need to be plugged in at the front of the console? There's no USB port in the box under the armrest, but there is one in back of the armrest (facing the rear seats) that I think can feed data to the audio system...

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
723 Posts

View attachment 2396350844

Awesome! Bet you’re excited to finally have it home!

·
Registered
927 Posts
That's actually a great idea! Thanks! I just ordered a 64GB one for about $13 -- way more capacity than I think I'll ever need.

But then, when I bought my first PC in 1985 (no hard drive), the sales guy wanted to sell me a box of 5.25" floppy disks. I said, "Naw, I'll just buy one floppy disk -- I don't see how I'll ever have more data than 360KB..." 🙄

Why would it need to be plugged in at the front of the console? There's no USB port in the box under the armrest, but there is one in back of the armrest (facing the rear seats) that I think can feed data to the audio system...
I'm about to show my age....my first PC had 64k of ram. That's k and in kilobytes (not a measurement used much anymore..) no hard drive and used a tape drive (as in cassette) until I could afford an external floppy disk drive that was HUGE. And I still have a disk holder full of floppies, including Windows 3.11 and DOS 6. The young-uns can refer to Google.....

Back to today's world (and topic)....I plugged my USB micro drive into the slot in front of the console because the radio can access it, the one inside my console is for charging only. I'm not sure the current Renegades are like that.

·
Registered
2021 Renegade Trailhawk
37 Posts
Very nice! I like that color a lot. As a matter of fact, before we got out TH, it was that color and the sting gray. Obviously the sting gray won out but only because we ironically didn’t want the sun roof (which was on the other).

As for spare gear, there are a decent amount of rack options, cam cans, and depending on your purpose, decent enough off road trailers. If your looking for in car options,I put a simple collapsible bag setup in the backthat has Velcro on the bottom to help hold it on the carpet, and have put the basics in it for emergencies. Otherwise my XJ packs the main gear (until I decide on my trailer).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for spare gear, there are a decent amount of rack options, cam cans, and depending on your purpose, decent enough off road trailers. If your looking for in car options,I put a simple collapsible bag setup in the backthat has Velcro on the bottom to help hold it on the carpet, and have put the basics in it for emergencies.
Well, we'll have Thule crossbars that will fit our ski rack or roof box, but that's for ski stuff -- and they won't be on the vehicle all the time.

I did think of using a box or bag of some sort, but I'd really like to stow "standard" emergency stuff somewhere other than on the floor of the hatch area.

I'm surprised an Italian-built vehicle, available on the European market, doesn't have at least places (that I've found) for first aid kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Not sure about other European countries, but those items are mandatory in Germany. Both our 2009 VWs have specific places for those, though of course our U.S. models didn't come with that equipment.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still need info from you guys about emergency equipment and where you stow it. :)

Meantime, I'm starting to think about what I need in the vehicle tool bag. Obviously screwdriver, pliers, metric socket set, and common stuff like that.

Various makes of cars need specific tools. Our two VWs have a lot of Torx fasteners, and I assume the Renegade does too.

But out VWs also have some weird stuff, like several triple-square bolts that you absolutely can't remove without triple-square bits -- which aren't easy to find.

Anything like that on the Renegade?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I plugged my USB micro drive into the slot in front of the console because the radio can access it, the one inside my console is for charging only. I'm not sure the current Renegades are like that.
The USB micro drive I ordered arrived today. Spent like and hour downloading my music to it, then plugged it into the USB-2 port behind the console facing the back seat. That way I've got the USB-1 port in the front available for charging my cell phone.

Yes, the USB-2 port feeds into the audio system on current Renegades. Works great. Thanks again for the idea.

I had no idea USB drives like that even existed. Wow, what'll they think of next... 1.2MB floppy disks? ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I still need info from you guys about emergency equipment and where you stow it. :)

Meantime, I'm starting to think about what I need in the vehicle tool bag. Obviously screwdriver, pliers, metric socket set, and common stuff like that.

Various makes of cars need specific tools. Our two VWs have a lot of Torx fasteners, and I assume the Renegade does too.

But out VWs also have some weird stuff, like several triple-square bolts that you absolutely can't remove without triple-square bits -- which aren't easy to find.

Anything like that on the Renegade?
Here is a basic bag I’ve started for mine. Tow strap, d ring, hitch and straps for roof rack. Also my leather gloves should be in there. IMG_5004.JPG IMG_5003.JPG

·
Registered
927 Posts
One thing I put in all my vehicle tool bags is spare bulbs. Turn, headlight, side marker, brake, tail, dome, etc. I remove each bulb from it's blister pack and put them in a small tackle box container made for lures and put that in my tool bag. This way the bulbs can't get crushed. I don't like riding with blown bulbs. Once I got pulled over in my smart fortwo. Blown brake light. I asked the Officer if I replace it right now, are we good. He said, "Right now ?" (takes literally seconds, no tools). I pulled out my tool bag, grabbed a bulb, put it in. He let me go, no ticket, said, "You are prepared, aren't you ?". Yep.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here is a basic bag I’ve started for mine.
I do like to have a tow strap; a D-ring is a good idea. I don't think I'd need the rest of your stuff. Where do you keep it?

I see you're using a Kobalt bag, which I looked at today at Lowe's as a tool bag. I thought it was too large...

One thing I put in all my vehicle tool bags is spare bulbs.
Yup, absolutely. At least one-each of every bulb. I do need to gather those; I keep those in the console arm-rest.

Anyone have a good summary of all the bulbs on a Trailhawk with LED head- and tail lights? I've always used the Sylvania Lamp Replacement Guide; but it doesn't list the 2021 Renegade, much less with LED lights -- though I suspect all the bulbs except the LEDs are the same as the Renegade with halogen headlights...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I keep a first aid kit, extra towels and a swim suit in the back. Bottled water in the door cup holders and matches in the center console. You never know when you might need any one of these items.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I keep a first aid kit, extra towels and a swim suit in the back. Bottled water in the door cup holders and matches in the center console. You never know when you might need any one of these items.
I filled an empty water bottle with distilled water to top off my coolant bottle if needed. To make sure no one drinks it or throws it away, I keep it in my spare tire cubby hole, along with 3 quarts of oil, first aid kit, tool bag, compressor, etc....

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
This is how we have her off road gear.
Full size spare, Strap, D rings, First aid kit, Gloves, Fire extinguisher, Plug kit, Jack & Safety flairs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I keep a first aid kit, extra towels and a swim suit in the back.
In the back where?

I keep it in my spare tire cubby hole, along with 3 quarts of oil, first aid kit, tool bag, compressor, etc....
Again, where? I assume that you maybe don't have a Trailhawk, and therefore don't have a full-size spare tire and have all that room under the back?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts