Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh, yeah? here's the view from our back patio...

View attachment 2396350916

Boulder. Dam' hippies... ;) Flatirons are nice too...

Where?

* edit * Oh, there. :) Nice! Gotta have a view. Is it that green there already?
Waynesville NC. Out near the Cherokee Res.
and yes your back yard view is awesome. We only have babay mountains here. But apparently from this photo they have gold in them! 😜

·
Registered
328 Posts
Guys, believe me they are not that fragile. I started taking mine out almost immediately (before I knew what all the buttons were for) TH is set up for off road and will do just fine on easy to moderate trails. Go with a buddy or group and follow their lead, watch your speed when necessary slow down or speed up. I just took an easy run today with hubby to push me out if necessary. 😂 It was quite narrow with some wash boarding and ruts and dips but easy for Renaldo to tackle. It was in auto mode the whole way there...

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
I really do like the idea of the jack being in its own dedicated purpose-made slot.
I prefer the 2 Ton trolley jack I carry in the boot, behind the seat. It's of minimal size, takes next to no room but serves better than a scissor jack.

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Trailhawk
1 Posts
So where are you-all stashing your stuff with a Trailhawk?
[/QUOTE]

Like you I flipped the spare tire over but I also removed the styrofoam insert on the left side which created much more room for tools and such. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I prefer the 2 Ton trolley jack I carry in the boot, behind the seat. It's of minimal size, takes next to no room but serves better than a scissor jack.
It's not even a scissor jack... I haven't taken a close look yet, but isn't it a half-scissor jack? We call it a "widow-maker." I keep those in the cars, because they're small and there are dedicated places for them. I only use them for what they're intended -- changing a tire. I'd never go under that car with one. And I constantly remind my wife and kids of the same thing.

I do have a 2-ton floor jack in the garage...

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the back where?

Again, where? I assume that you maybe don't have a Trailhawk, and therefore don't have a full-size spare tire and have all that room under the back?
Get a Spare tire carrier on the back, then you'll have the whole cargo hole for storage. They make flip down or swing out that fit into your 2 inch hitch receiver and still provide 2 inch receiver for towing trailer or whatever.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Get a Spare tire carrier on the back, then you'll have the whole cargo hole for storage. They make flip down or swing out that fit into your 2 inch hitch receiver and still provide 2 inch receiver for towing trailer or whatever.
Well, I didn't order my Renegade with a towing package. No room for a trailer in the garage, and HOA covenants say I can't keep it outside.

I've got plenty of room under the cargo floor, even with the full-size spare tire. I've flipped the tire over to use the room inside the wheel's offset, and I've removed the left-side foam block. So that's all for non-immediate-emergency equipment like tools, jack, tow strap, warning triangle...

But I need the fire extinguisher and first-aid kit where I can immediately get at them, particularly if the cargo compartment is loaded...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
OK, I finally installed the fire extinguisher today. Set up under the front of the driver's seat looks like this, in case someone wants to follow suit:

It's a Kidde FA110 1A-10BC (in case I ever need to put out any dumpster fires :) ), which fits perfectly:

I got a metal bracket to secure it:

And the mount is one of these:

I'd first intended to secure the mount to the seat bolts, but it didn't adjust short enough to fit between the bolts. So I used the other method, which is to clamp the mount to the seat-adjustment rails with large set screws. It actually holds very securely, and doesn't interfere with any seat movement.

Oh... I also got a large first aid kit that tucks perfectly under the back of the driver's seat. It's really a combat (or South Chicago) kit, with everything I'd need to take care of a gunshot or a sucking chest wound. :) Israeli clotting bandages and chest seals. Now I just gotta put some band-aids and antibiotic in the kit... :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Way back when I was a kid I had a USGI Field Surgical Kit under the seat in the storage compartment of my 1954 Willys M38A1. Totally useless, especially for a 16 yr old, but it did garner "whoa !!" when I unrolled it to show a scalpel, forceps, hemostats, etc...lol. I felt I had to "man up" my standard first aid kit in a military Jeep.

The silly things we do as kids.....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So we took a round trip from Colorado Springs to eastern New Mexico over the weekend, so about 400 miles each way. I'm already discussing the Uconnect 4C NAV issues in other threads, so here are our impressions other than that.

Wow, the fuel tank goes down fast!!! Only 13.9 gallons (38 liters), so a bit less than our two 2009 VW Jettas (14.5 gal). I didn't check the fuel consumption with the 1.3T engine, but I've heard it's not so great either for that small an engine. I'll have to be sure to fill up at the last gas station before going off-roading.

Leather seats are very hard. That's not necessarily a bad thing -- my wife noticed it more than me; I didn't have a problem. Not particularly deeply-bolstered, but not bad.

Adjusting interior temperature is a bit of a hassle until it settles down. Doing it through the Uconnect menus seems clunky, since I hate taking my eyes off the road to cycle through icons. I do appreciate the physical temperature buttons, but they're rather far down on the console -- so I have to take my eyes off the road in any case.

I don't particularly like the rotary stalk control for the windshield wipers. The auto wiper system works pretty well, but if I'm not happy with the decisions it's making it's hard to find the specific collar to rotate.

Ride was very good -- suspension and tires.

Vehicle was very stable and performed well at 80+ mph on the Interstate, and on small two-lane county roads through the desert -- particularly considering how short the wheelbase is.

I do love those option LED headlights. I think I would have been very disappointed with the normal reflector headlights.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Whoops, you're right. Owner's Manual shows 12.7 gal / 48 liters. Not sure where I thought I saw 13.9 gal; or for that matter 38 liters.

OK, that's significantly smaller than I'm used to, and explains the fast depletion...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, we popped the Renegade Trailhawk's off-road cherry today. And its getting-dirty cherry. :)

Took it up Old Stage Road to Gold Camp Road, and on to Cripple Creek.

Old Stage Road is rougher in places than it look like on YouTube videos, behind Cheyenne Mountain this side of Penrose-Rosemont Reservoir.

But it sure is pretty up there.

This was just a shake-down, but I did get to put it into 4WD for about a third of a mile up the Frosty Park spur. Didn't push it too hard.

We took a small grill and grilled a couple steaks and corn on the cob. A sprinkle of rain, but all-in-all a nice day.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, we popped the Renegade Trailhawk's off-road cherry today. And its getting-dirty cherry. :)

Took it up Old Stage Road to Gold Camp Road, and on to Cripple Creek.

View attachment 2396351093

Old Stage Road is rougher in places than it look like on YouTube videos, behind Cheyenne Mountain this side of Penrose-Rosemont Reservoir.

View attachment 2396351094

But it sure is pretty up there.

View attachment 2396351095

This was just a shake-down, but I did get to put it into 4WD for about a third of a mile up the Frosty Park spur. Didn't push it too hard.

We took a small grill and grilled a couple steaks and corn on the cob. A sprinkle of rain, but all-in-all a nice day.
Beautiful out there! Once you go off road you won't want to stop, you are probably planning your next trip already!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Beautiful out there! Once you go off road you won't want to stop, you are probably planning your next trip already!
Well, this is why we moved here last year after retiring. :)

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how rough and steep a road I can traverse with this thing. I see some pretty extreme YouTube videos with the Renegade Trailhawk; but although the vehicle may be capable of that, I certainly am not. I've had some military training in off-road self-recovery, but not that much... and it can be lonely up there in those mountains...

In fact, the spot where we stopped and pulled off to grill our steaks was at a shallow ford of a stream; it had some boulders in it and a shelf of ice and snow. And the road got much steeper and much rougher beyond the ford. So that's where we decided to stop.

A few minutes after we stopped a guy came up the road with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that he'd just bought as a fleet sale. He didn't like the looks of that ford either, and decided to turn around. As we watched him do his three-point turn, he dropped his left-rear wheel right in between two large rocks on the edge of the road, and got stuck. Looked like he had touring tires; and though he was in 4WD, his front wheels were just spinning on the damp road, and his rear wheels just couldn't get enough momentum to get out from between the rocks.

I finally got him to back up about a foot up onto the rock behind his left-rear wheel, and managed to wedge some smaller brick-sized rocks between the two big rocks so the tire wouldn't drop down so far and he'd have a better run at it. He finally got out. But if we hadn't been there, he'd probably still be stuck there.

It was odd... At one point -- as he said he was in 4WD -- his engine was revving, but none of the wheels were spinning or trying to move. I understand these vehicles have sophisticated power-transfer programming, but I would have expected that at least the wheel(s) that were wedged between the rocks would have traction and be trying to get out...

Maybe the 2015 Grand Cherokee wasn't that sophisticated, or maybe he wasn't real familiar with the vehicle...

41 - 60 of 102 Posts