Jeep Renegade Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Maybe the 2015 Grand Cherokee wasn't that sophisticated, or maybe he wasn't real familiar with the vehicle...
[/QUOTE]
Probably both. I did not go out all by myself the first few times I simply relied on my son to decide where we were going and played follow the leader....apparently I am good at following as I caught on quickly. The only time I got stuck was my first time out in snow, my son was more than eager to test his tow straps. After that time I have figured out how to maneuver or use traction boards so as to avoid giving him any reason to gloat at my expense.:) I took my hubby last time as he is big and strong and could easily push me out if need be. I know the Renegade can easily go through water but there is a way to do it so the wave does not come back on you. I love going through mud and muck as long as it is not too deep, always good to let someone else go first. Hopefully I will retire soon too as I have places to go...

·
Registered
328 Posts
BTW Ren TH can do up to 19" of water fording so I don't think they would make the claim if it couldn't. However it is always best to have another vehicle or two in the group. Otherwise walk up ahead and see what it looks like. Look at it this way you are retired and have time to explore at your pace. Enjoy the trails!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
BTW Ren TH can do up to 19" of water fording so I don't think they would make the claim if it couldn't. However it is always best to have another vehicle or two in the group. Otherwise walk up ahead and see what it looks like. Look at it this way you are retired and have time to explore at your pace. Enjoy the trails!
Thanks. Fording depth wasn't an issue -- the ford was only a few inches deep. I just wasn't sure I could avoid the big rock in the middle -- walking out and looking at it on foot later, I was sure I could. And the other route through the ford was over an undercut ice dam about a foot and a half high that I'm pretty sure I couldn't climb over. I did see a lifted Wrangler do it, but my Renegade Trailhawk doesn't have that kind of clearance or size tires.

Fortunately we found a nice spot at the ford to set up the grill and chill out, so our immediate goal was met. :)

As far as the steep, rocky, narrow road beyond that, while we were grilling our steaks, a large lifted diesel Ford (?) 4x4 pick-up came by. It went over the ice dam as if it wasn't there, and then climbed up the hill without even batting an eyelash (or maneuvering). So I could have made it up without much problem, I'm sure, especially in 4WD LOW.

Coming back down would have scared the hell out of noob me, but otherwise wouldn't have been a problem.

As far going out with another vehicle or two, it's going to be hard to make that happen. We're not looking for challenging trails as their own reward; we just want the ground clearance and 4X4 capability to make to it trailheads and dispersed camping sites that our FWD VWs would fail at.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Sounds like a really cool spot.
Well, yeah... Though there are a lot of areas that shooters legally use, that I'm ashamed to say are pretty trashed and with trees shredded (despite shooting at trees being illegal).

I say ashamed, because I'm a shooter, and hope to find places in the National Forest where it's safe. But right behind where we barbecued, some shooters had left empty beer cans stuck to the the branches of a small Aspen tree, where they had obviously being shooting at the cans. We walked around and policed up those and as many other cans as we could find, and brought them home to go into the recycling. Shooting at cans is fine, but on the ground -- and please take them home with you afterwards...

* sigh * With great power (or, in this case, freedom) comes great responsibility... some people don't seem to get that...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Well, we took the new Trailhawk out for a couple days of mid-week car/dispersed camping as a shakedown. Drove from Colorado Springs to Rock Creek Hills Road, at the north end of South Park. Lots of expansive stands of Aspen there; unfortunately, at about 9,800 ft elevation, the Aspens were just barely showing their leaf buds.

But still spectacular:

The road was dirt, and only 1 - 2 difficulty; nothing that our FWD VW Jetta wouldn't have been able to take -- carefully. The much-larger tires on the Trailhawk made the occasional washboard surface much easier to take, and I didn't have to pay as much attention to the rocky areas.

But like I said, this was mainly a shake-down regarding car/dispersed camping -- what to take and what not to take in the Trailhawk.

First observation is, for an SUV, there's (no surprise for many of you) not a lot of cargo space -- even for just the two of us with the rear seats folded down. There was enough space, but we had to plan it carefully.

The bulkiest items were the two REI Kingdom 3 cots, which are much larger folded than they look on-line:

They pretty-much filled up the rear cargo area, extending out onto the folded seats. But, man, are they ever comfortable, particularly with an inflatable sleeping pad -- and at our ages and with my back, that's a critical consideration.

This was "dry camping," which means water wasn't available -- which means we had to take all our water with us. Guidance is a minimum of two gallons per person per day; but just in case we packed two 5-gallon water cans, which fit perfectly alongside the cots on the right side of the cargo area:

We only used less than one can for the two days, so I think one 5-gallon can plus about 2.5 gallons for emergencies would have been perfect.

Besides that, all the normal stuff -- large 4-person tent, sleeping bags, Coleman stove, folding camp table, small grill and charcoal, coolers for food and drinks.

We took an extra gallon can of Coleman fuel for the stove, but only used about one 2.5-pint tankful. So we're ordering a smaller MSR fuel bottle.

Yes, we could get a roof rack; but we don't need one with careful packing. I'd love to hear other people's experiences and recommendations regarding car camping.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What fun. Gonna take my daughter on something like this in September. She inherits Wannabe when I am done paying in 4 years for a graduation gift so it will be fun to test what can be done with just the basics.

·
Registered
328 Posts
20210314_142827.jpg
this is WANNABE I wanted it to be a Jeep Gladiator but that will never be in the cards but I am very happy the last two years with him. As for the other, September because already heading to the beach for family vacay and also working on home renovation stuff, so busy busy. LABOR DAY is next available three day weekend. The where will be somewhere on the Blue Ridge Parkway as we live in SC and I love the area from Cherokee north into TN.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
LABOR DAY is next available three day weekend.
Ha! We both retired in 2019, and we can go up into the mountains any time we want to. We avoid weekends.

As we were driving back down on Friday (day before the Memorial Day Weekend), we passed whole convoys of huge campers and trailers with ATVs, being pulled by huge pick-ups, going up into the mountains. We were very lucky.

The where will be somewhere on the Blue Ridge Parkway
That should be great. Making reservations, I hope...?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ha! We both retired in 2019, and we can go up into the mountains any time we want to. We avoid weekends.

As we were driving back down on Friday (day before the Memorial Day Weekend), we passed whole convoys of huge campers and trailers with ATVs, being pulled by huge pick-ups, going up into the mountains. We were very lucky.

That should be great. Making reservations, I hope...?
More of a wing it and see. Might even breakout the tent and camp. Knees won't like it but I am not too old yet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
More of a wing it and see. Might even breakout the tent and camp. Knees won't like it but I am not too old yet.
Oh, I was assuming you were going to camp. I'd say reservations would be absolutely necessary for camping on weekends and especially holidays along the Blue Ridge.

Trust me, it's not the knees, so much as the back... 🙄 That's why I'm so thrilled about these honkin' cots...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh, I was assuming you were going to camp. I'd say reservations would be absolutely necessary for camping on weekends and especially holidays along the Blue Ridge.

Trust me, it's not the knees, so much as the back... 🙄 That's why I'm so thrilled about these honkin' cots...
Agreed. I have nice cots too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use air mattress (does not take a lot of space) and tent camp very comfortably. I have slept in Renaldo with and without air mattress (mattress preferred) We usually have another vehicle or two in the group so I don't have everything that could be considered necessary in my Ren. When I get my Gobi rack very soon I will have a lot of storage up top and on ladder. btw I love the Aspens we were in CO in October last year and it was stunning the way they shimmer!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Yesterday we took the new Trailhawk up on Rampart Range Road, just above Colorado Springs, starting from Garden of the Gods. Rampart Range Road is a well-graded two-lane dirt road that winds its way up the Rampart Range part of the Front Range, up toward Denver. Great views of Pikes Peak.

It's rated a Level 1, so most any 2WD sedan can make it -- though some of the washboard surfaces would probably take a toll.

The road winds its way through the area of the 2012 Waldo Canyon Fire, which swept up and over the mountains and burned some houses at the western edge of Colorado Springs -- two people died. Aspens were coming up in many places, but I was surprised that 11 years later there wasn't as much new growth as I was expecting. Interesting to see the huge swaths where the fire destroyed everything, and the huge swaths right next to those that were untouched. That's Cheyenne Mountain with the NORAD bunker in the background:

My objective was to get to and drive up Ormes Peak Road, which as a Level 3 spur off of Rampart Range Road. I want to slowly work my way up with this Trailhawk, so that I understand its off-road capabilities and limitations. Sure enough, Ormes Peak Road was quite a bit narrower, steeper, rutted, and rockier in spots.

And some of the spurs off of that were pretty fun.

All in all, the Traihawk had absolute no problem with this Level 3 road. I am glad I got the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires, though. I did keep it in 4x4 lock, and even got to play with Hill Descend (though I didn't need to). I may have even lifted a rear wheel at one point... :) I might want try a Level 4 road at some point, but this was good enough for now.

I've said that we didn't get this Trailhawk to do off-roading as an end in itself. Rather, we're going to be using it to get to remote campsites and trailheads that we couldn't with a passenger car. So our other objective was to scout out some dispersed camping spots for the future, and we managed to do that too.

So it was a good day.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Moab this week .
Cool!

How new is that Traihawk? Any mods?

How does Moab "work"? It's obviously not all those extreme pitches you always see in videos. And of course I don't know how experienced you are off-road. Can you just start off on "normal" trails, then maybe try some obstacles that you can bypass if you want?

So what level of obstacles or trails have you done, and how has the Trailhawk done?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yesterday we took the new Trailhawk up on Rampart Range Road, just above Colorado Springs, starting from Garden of the Gods. Rampart Range Road is a well-graded two-lane dirt road that winds its way up the Rampart Range part of the Front Range, up toward Denver. Great views of Pikes Peak.

View attachment 2396351269

It's rated a Level 1, so most any 2WD sedan can make it -- though some of the washboard surfaces would probably take a toll.

View attachment 2396351270

The road winds its way through the area of the 2012 Waldo Canyon Fire, which swept up and over the mountains and burned some houses at the western edge of Colorado Springs -- two people died. Aspens were coming up in many places, but I was surprised that 11 years later there wasn't as much new growth as I was expecting. Interesting to see the huge swaths where the fire destroyed everything, and the huge swaths right next to those that were untouched. That's Cheyenne Mountain with the NORAD bunker in the background:

View attachment 2396351271

My objective was to get to and drive up Ormes Peak Road, which as a Level 3 spur off of Rampart Range Road. I want to slowly work my way up with this Trailhawk, so that I understand its off-road capabilities and limitations. Sure enough, Ormes Peak Road was quite a bit narrower, steeper, rutted, and rockier in spots.

View attachment 2396351280

And some of the spurs off of that were pretty fun.

View attachment 2396351272

View attachment 2396351276

All in all, the Traihawk had absolute no problem with this Level 3 road. I am glad I got the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires, though. I did keep it in 4x4 lock, and even got to play with Hill Descend (though I didn't need to). I may have even lifted a rear wheel at one point... :) I might want try a Level 4 road at some point, but this was good enough for now.

I've said that we didn't get this Trailhawk to do off-roading as an end in itself. Rather, we're going to be using it to get to remote campsites and trailheads that we couldn't with a passenger car. So our other objective was to scout out some dispersed camping spots for the future, and we managed to do that too.

View attachment 2396351277

So it was a good day.

View attachment 2396351278
Absolutely stunning and picturesque views! Looks like you are breaking it in nicely. I agree the upgraded tires make a difference although I put mine through some fierce challenges stock before I decided to spend the $$ Sounds like you are living the life...enjoy!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts