Jeep Renegade Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
I agree the upgraded tires make a difference although I put mine through some fierce challenges stock before I decided to spend the $$
I don't really consider the tires a mod. They're what should have been on the Trailhawk from the factory as a minimum -- in fact, I believe they used to be, in years past (or maybe it was the Falken Wildpeak AT3W). The current OEM tires are just all-season touring tires, no matter what Jeep claims.

I'm not planning on any (more) mods, other than installing the Valkyrie skid plate that's sitting in the garage. Most of the reason for that is so I don't have to drop the stock skid plate every time I change oil in the future...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well to be fair, I tested the stock tires all the way across the country on and off road and to me they preformed great and I was surprised at how well TH preformed stock overall. However, I get about the same mileage but the handling off road in insanely better with my BFG A/T KO2's so much so that I have forgotten to put it in 4 wheel drive on occasions. The look also is so much more aggressive that it instills more confidence in the driver perhaps?! The Valkyrie skid plate is quite nice, I am waiting until mine is a little more beat up to justify the spending, as I got a lot of free oil changes in my package. I look forward to our next trip...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
The Valkyrie skid plate is quite nice, I am waiting until mine is a little more beat up to justify the spending
I'm just surprised there aren't any reviews on the Valkyrie skid plate. I'm hoping it goes on easily, since it's 1/8" thicker than the OEM one (3/8" vs. 1/4"). Hopefully there aren't any really tight clearances...

Hey, a skid plate is supposed to be beat up!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm just surprised there aren't any reviews on the Valkyrie skid plate. I'm hoping it goes on easily, since it's 1/8" thicker than the OEM one (3/8" vs. 1/4"). Hopefully there aren't any really tight clearances...

Hey, a skid plate is supposed to be beat up!
I had researched the Valkyrie products and there was a custom Ren that featured a lot of Valkyrie products. I believe the woman was from Colorado maybe a YouTube video?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, I just remembered she was big on Valkyrie and lived in CO They are a Utah company I believe, maybe give them a call with any questions, hopefully they are back to speed now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, my special-order Renegade Trailhawk just arrived.

View attachment 2396350844

It's Granite Crystal Metallic. Good color; since my first choice, Sting-Grey, just looked greenish in the Colorado sun.

It's got the LED headlight option package (a must, though I would have actually preferred the cloth seats), and the sunroof/premium audio package (because why not?). Besides that, I had the dealer replace the stock tires with Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires that I'd ordered from tirerack.com, so I'd have at least a little real off-road capability; the dealer gave me a small credit for the take-offs.

I've been playing with the new Jeep (in the garage and driveway so far :) ).

I'm old-school as far as electronics. While I love the fact that the system has an on-board navigation system (and I don't have to depend on my cell phone via Bluetooth), I was disappointed that it doesn't have any on-board music storage -- not even an SD slot. I just don't want to depend on having my cell phone with me and connected. And while I listen mostly to SiriusXM, it's nice to have a choice.

So I got my old Android cell phone. It doesn't have a phone SIMM any more, but it does have a large-capacity micro-SD card on which I've got all my music. I've got it connected with a USB cable, and it'll just stay all the time in the cubby below the USB port. Works great.

I do have my current cell phone paired via Bluetooth, along with my wife's phone.

My next challenge will be to find storage for extra tools, first aid kit, warning triangle, fire extinguisher, and like that. The Trailhawk sacrifices a lot of storage for features like a full-size spare tire (a non-negotiable), and what I assume is a Kenwood amplifier behind a panel on the right side of the hatch where I think otherwise there would be a small cubby.

I'm going to do the flip-the-spare-tire hack to gain some extra space, as soon as I get the shorter bolt:

Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Extra Storage Hack - Bing video

So where are you-all stashing your stuff with a Trailhawk?
H
Well, my special-order Renegade Trailhawk just arrived.

View attachment 2396350844

It's Granite Crystal Metallic. Good color; since my first choice, Sting-Grey, just looked greenish in the Colorado sun.

It's got the LED headlight option package (a must, though I would have actually preferred the cloth seats), and the sunroof/premium audio package (because why not?). Besides that, I had the dealer replace the stock tires with Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires that I'd ordered from tirerack.com, so I'd have at least a little real off-road capability; the dealer gave me a small credit for the take-offs.

I've been playing with the new Jeep (in the garage and driveway so far :) ).

I'm old-school as far as electronics. While I love the fact that the system has an on-board navigation system (and I don't have to depend on my cell phone via Bluetooth), I was disappointed that it doesn't have any on-board music storage -- not even an SD slot. I just don't want to depend on having my cell phone with me and connected. And while I listen mostly to SiriusXM, it's nice to have a choice.

So I got my old Android cell phone. It doesn't have a phone SIMM any more, but it does have a large-capacity micro-SD card on which I've got all my music. I've got it connected with a USB cable, and it'll just stay all the time in the cubby below the USB port. Works great.

I do have my current cell phone paired via Bluetooth, along with my wife's phone.

My next challenge will be to find storage for extra tools, first aid kit, warning triangle, fire extinguisher, and like that. The Trailhawk sacrifices a lot of storage for features like a full-size spare tire (a non-negotiable), and what I assume is a Kenwood amplifier behind a panel on the right side of the hatch where I think otherwise there would be a small cubby.

I'm going to do the flip-the-spare-tire hack to gain some extra space, as soon as I get the shorter bolt:

Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Extra Storage Hack - Bing video

So where are you-all stashing your stuff with a Trailhawk?
How long did it take from order to delivery? I ordered mine on May 15/21. Got a number June 19/21 and nothing since. Really interested what kind timeframe I’m looking at. Dealership thought maybe 6 months…

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
How long did it take from order to delivery?
Ours took almost four months. Ordered a couple days before Christmas, and delivered mid-April.

We never got a number...

We special-ordered from the factory because I absolutely had to have the LED headlights; plus we weren't in any particular hurry, and also ordered the premium sound system (with sunroof).

I suspect, because of how they're consolidating options, that this is the final year for this model; not sure how that's affecting lead time.

So why did you special-order?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ours took almost four months. Ordered a couple days before Christmas, and delivered mid-April.

We never got a number...

We special-ordered from the factory because I absolutely had to have the LED headlights; plus we weren't in any particular hurry, and also ordered the premium sound system (with sunroof).

I suspect, because of how they're consolidating options, that this is the final year for this model; not sure how that's affecting lead time.

So why did you special-order?
Thank you so much… 4 months is better than 6… September should be fun!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Did a dispersed camping trip a couple weeks ago. To the Rampart Range Road area outside of Colorado Springs again, since it's only an hour or so from home. Can't believe we've got this kind of wilderness that close...

The trail was a loop off of Rampart Range Road called Ice Cave Road. Some spectacular views of Pikes Peak about 20 miles to the south:

We actually camped on an unnamed spur off of Ice Cave Road:

Made camp...

...right next to a cliff overlooking some fantastic boulders of eroded Pikes Peak granite:

Sunset the first evening was beautiful...

...though we had some thundershowers the second evening.

The third day, after striking camp, we completed the Ice Cave Road loop...

...with some serious wash-outs that challenged the Trailhawk a bit -- mainly because the Pikes Peak granite wears down to coarse gravel that's like ball bearings. Wife had to get out and spot me bit on this one...there was a deep ditch in the grass on the left side that isn't visible in the photo, and I had to pick a really narrow line:

Fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did a dispersed camping trip a couple weeks ago. To the Rampart Range Road area outside of Colorado Springs again, since it's only an hour or so from home. Can't believe we've got this kind of wilderness that close...

The trail was a loop off of Rampart Range Road called Ice Cave Road. Some spectacular views of Pikes Peak about 20 miles to the south:

View attachment 2396351690

View attachment 2396351691

Made camp...

View attachment 2396351692

...right next to a cliff overlooking some fantastic boulders of eroded Pikes Peak granite:

View attachment 2396351693

View attachment 2396351694

View attachment 2396351695

View attachment 2396351696

...with some serious wash-outs that challenged the Trailhawk a bit -- mainly because the Pikes Peak granite wears down to coarse gravel that's like ball bearings. Wife had to get out and spot me bit on this one...there was a deep ditch in the grass on the left side that isn't visible in the photo, and I had to pick a really narrow line:

View attachment 2396351697

Fun.
That is great and inspiring for me. We need to get out more and stop waiting for the perfect moment.

·
Registered
328 Posts

View attachment 2396351690

View attachment 2396351691

Made camp...

View attachment 2396351692

View attachment 2396351693

View attachment 2396351694

View attachment 2396351695

View attachment 2396351696

View attachment 2396351697

Fun.
Looks like you are making good use of your TH!! I am heading out soon for a week of adventure...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
That is great and inspiring for me. We need to get out more and stop waiting for the perfect moment.
What "perfect moment?" Like anything else, you just gotta do it.

Though our situation is kind of unique. And planned that way.

We retired a year and a half ago. We then built a house and moved to Colorado Springs just over a year ago.

So now we can do things whenever we want. We go camping, backpacking, and skiing on weekdays. :)

And we're living exactly where we want, in order to have somewhere to do those things. :):)

But, like I said... it all took a lot of planning and frustration.

Heading out again in less than an hour for another couple nights of off-road camping... :):):)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Latest two-day dispersed camping trip, coming back yesterday. Up to the Rampart Range area again -- actually on an unmarked dead-end spur off of the dead-end FS-324B spur off of the Ice Cave Road loop off of Rampart Range Road.

Absolutely no company out there; except for hearing the Denver-Santa Fe railroad coming over Monument Hill far to the east, some passing airliners, and some distant gunshots since it's allowed along a lot of Rampart Range Road. Which was fine.

Unfortunately no interesting critters to see either, other than crows and one magpie. Which was fine too; there were a lot of birds chirping.

Not much of a view this time...

...other than Ponderosa pines...

...Douglas firs...

...and lots of my absolute favorites, Aspens, of all sizes:

Oh, and mushrooms were popping up because there have been so many thunderstorms.

Mosquitos weren't bad, but the flies got worse and worse as the two days went by. We had a cheap white netting "tent" from Amazon that we could unfold our chairs under, which you can see here:

That seemed to work well, but kind of defeated the purpose of being in the woods...

Anyway, again, this was exactly why we got the Trailhawk. Not to do extreme Moab, but just to get to places that a FWD normal-clearance car couldn't...

Which brings me to my question. Pikes Peak granite, which all of this was, deteriorates/"rots" into marble-sized gravel, which you can see in the photo above. It's like ball-bearings; hard to even walk on without slipping if the slope is about 15% or more.

At one point in the trail there were some washout whoop-de-doos (as the kids call them) on an upward slope. I was picking a line where I was crossing the ruts at an angle; but then when I tried to straighten out, the vehicle did one of those Renegade see-saws, where first one wheels goes into the air, then the diagonally-opposite one. Fun, but that got my wife excited; and not necessarily in a good way. :)

I had the Trailhawk in 4x4 High, with Auto Mode on; it was doing just fine. But when the first (rear) wheel went into the air, it started spinning for a few seconds until I backed off and took a slightly different line; I got through it fine on the second try.

I thought the Renegade was supposed to automatically figure out after a couple seconds that one wheel has lost traction; brake that wheel; and send power to the other wheels. That didn't seem to happen; at least not within a couple seconds. Or maybe the other wheels didn't have much traction either on the rotten granite...

Would it have done better in one of the other modes (Sand or Rock)? The owner's Manual isn't real clear. I didn't have time to play with it. And there isn't a Pikes Peak Granite mode...

81 - 100 of 102 Posts