Jeep Renegade Forum banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Thank you. Not sure if this touristy stuff is of interest for anyone, so I keep linking Renegade performance info and questions in...

·
Registered
2021 4xe Trailhawk
9 Posts
I'm about to show my age....my first PC had 64k of ram. That's k and in kilobytes (not a measurement used much anymore..) no hard drive and used a tape drive (as in cassette) until I could afford an external floppy disk drive that was HUGE. And I still have a disk holder full of floppies, including Windows 3.11 and DOS 6. The young-uns can refer to Google.....

Back to today's world (and topic)....I plugged my USB micro drive into the slot in front of the console because the radio can access it, the one inside my console is for charging only. I'm not sure the current Renegades are like that.
I began with punch tape 😁 Rolls and rolls of tape!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
My first experience with computers was as an undergraduate studying engineering at the University of Washington (in Seattle). A desk-sized IBM 360, into which you had to feed stacks of punch cards -- one card for each line of code. Card reader was a separate desk-sized machine. For the reference of you kids:

Not going to tell you what year that was. (OK, 1976.)

And if you made a programming mistake, the stupid computer would tell you there was a mistake; but not where or what the mistake was. That you had to figure out for yourself.

So frustrating, that I quit engineering right after that, and went into Foreign Area Studies (and the Army right after graduation and commissioning).

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
OMG its a case of "my grandma punched your grandma a hit on the nose, my grandpa punched your grandpa a hit right back on the nose. Eiko, Eiko. Eiko I ay."

Name that tune.

I'm bored :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
So who started the whole "I remember when computers were so early that..." discussion?

Oh yeah, I did in Post #5. Never mind, then.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Another fortnight, another stinkin' wilderness camping trip into the Rocky Mountains with the new Trailhawk. :p

This one was on Hell Creek Road, a spur trail off of the Schubarth Trail on Rampart Range. ("Hell Creek Road" actually parallels Hale Creek, which name I assume some early pioneer butchered.) About an hour and a half from our home in Colorado Springs to camp, counting an hour on unpaved roads and trails.

At first Schubarth Trail was really smooth. Pretty scenic too.

Then things started to get rougher.

And narrower.

There were plenty of scrape marks on the tree trunks -- and on the rocks! -- where larger 4x4 didn't quite clear. I was really happy about the Trailhawk's short wheelbase. The wheelbase also results in a large breakover angle, which really helped in some places.

Finally we found a perfect shady spot...

...with a view to the northeast...

...between house-sized Pikes Peak Granite boulders:

We experimented with skewers on the barbecue for the first time. Worked pretty well.

Sunset wasn't bad over hot cocoa and cider.

It was clear and not too cool the first night. The second night we had a violet thunderstorm for a couple hours after midnight, but we were fine in the tent.

Here's my artsy photo on the way home -- Indian Paintbrush and (I think) Dwarf Golden Aster, with the Trailhawk in the background (parked responsibly on a trail):

Now a comment about the 4x4 system. I've been playing around with all the features (4x4 Low, Hill Descend, etc.) just to see how they work. I'm still a bit mystified by the various 4x4 modes -- to include the Trailhawk's Rock Mode. But I'm starting to figure it out:

At one point, ascending a hill on a narrow stretch of trail, there was an extremely steep rutted bit with a large exposed root on a ledge on the right side. I wanted to avoid the root, since I didn't want to risk high-centering the vehicle on it. There was barely enough room to the left of the root. Unfortunately there was a tree on the left side just beyond the root, and I had to turn sharply when even with the root to avoid the tree. That meant I couldn't get up any speed to get up that part by momentum. One of the wheels went into the air (or at least lost traction on the rotten granite), and I couldn't get up that part in 4x4 Lock or even 4x4 Low because that wheel kept spinning.

OK, so I switched into Rock Mode. Jeep doesn't give much information on exactly what that does, or where to use it. (Duh, on rocks.) They do say that it "delivers low-speed 4x4 capability thanks to its rear-differential locking element." Well, not physically locking, since everything on this vehicle is done by computer. But I'd heard that in Rock Mode, if a wheel starts spinning or is in the air, giving a little throttle will (counter-intuitively) shift power away from the spinning wheel; and to the wheels that do have traction.

So I tried that, giving some gas. Sure enough, after a second that wheel stopped spinning, and I got enough traction to get over that bit. Kind of weird, but effective...

Anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Thanks, 'splasher.

Regarding my musings about the Trailhawk's Rock Mode at the end of that post, I've been thinking about that some more -- I mean, all the other conditions (snow, sand, mud) also cause traction issues that the Renegade supposedly addresses. In this case, I wasn't on rock, but on steep loose rutted granite with large roots.

But Rock Mode was probably appropriate in this case, because it's the only condition where one (or more) tires may be in the air and not have any traction. So the Trailhawk doesn't need apply ABS-type modulation; it needs to flat stop that wheel or wheels, and transfer all power to the others. Worked for me.

The other option might have been Sand Mode. But I think that's meant more for beach driving, when all four wheels are on the ground...

This would relate generally to all the Renegade's traction modes. How have people found the various modes to work, and under what conditions? I'm particularly interested in Snow Mode for skiing this winter. That would obviously be in 4WD Lock, at higher road speeds...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks, 'splasher.

Regarding my musings about the Trailhawk's Rock Mode at the end of that post, I've been thinking about that some more -- I mean, all the other conditions (snow, sand, mud) also cause traction issues that the Renegade supposedly addresses. In this case, I wasn't on rock, but on steep loose rutted granite with large roots.

But Rock Mode was probably appropriate in this case, because it's the only condition where one (or more) tires may be in the air and not have any traction. So the Trailhawk doesn't need apply ABS-type modulation; it needs to flat stop that wheel or wheels, and transfer all power to the others. Worked for me.

The other option might have been Sand Mode. But I think that's meant more for beach driving, when all four wheels are on the ground...

This would relate generally to all the Renegade's traction modes. How have people found the various modes to work, and under what conditions? I'm particularly interested in Snow Mode for skiing this winter. That would obviously be in 4WD Lock, at higher road speeds...
Notoriously we don't keep our vehicles very long. This one however may set a record. My Granddaughter has put Dibbs on "Diego" & my wife says after the Texas trip we should go look at a Trailhawk. Hmmm we don't off-road. Oh well my philosophy has been:

Shoulder Neck Sleeve Street fashion Grey

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Kind of like guns. (Wife: "Why do you need another gun? You've already got one...") 🙄

(Me: "It's not a matter of need...")

So... If you're not interested on off-roading, then why interested in a Trailhawk? More stuff to go wrong; higher ground clearance means less road stability...)

For that matter, why a low-gas-mileage boxy Jeep at all?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Hey......
It's my foot in the door for another car, how bad can that be! 😎
OK.... that's your excuse -er- reason. What's her reason for wanting a Trailhawk?

I mean, if you were in Colorado, her excuse might be that she wanted to be a Colorado Jeep Mama (though this looks like it's the Grand Tetons...)...

·
Registered
128 Posts
OK.... that's your excuse -er- reason. What's her reason for wanting a Trailhawk?

I mean, if you were in Colorado, her excuse might be that she wanted to be a Colorado Jeep Mama (though this looks like it's the Grand Tetons...)...

View attachment 2396352069
She's not a car Gal, just puts up with a car Guy. As of joining this forum the only model she hears me refer to by name is Trailhawk.

😎

·
Registered
2019 Renegade Trailhawk
30 Posts
But I'd heard that in Rock Mode, if a wheel starts spinning or is in the air, giving a little throttle will (counter-intuitively) shift power away from the spinning wheel; and to the wheels that do have traction.

So I tried that, giving some gas. Sure enough, after a second that wheel stopped spinning, and I got enough traction to get over that bit. Kind of weird, but effective...

Anyone else have experience with this?
Sounds about right. This is maybe 1/4 experience and 3/4 summarizing other threads on the topic, but here is what I have found so far.

4WD Lock: The computer will automatically switch to 4WD when it detects wheels slipping, or when starting from a full stop, or…who knows? I wish there was some indication on the dashboard. Pushing the button seems like it's mainly a confidence booster, but maybe it will get me out of trouble some day. Might as well push it.

4WD Low: Sets the transmission to first gear. Behaves as expected.

Snow mode: Waiting for winter to try this. From what I have seen elsewhere the only difference between snow/sand/mud mode is torque distribution between the front and back axles. All these special modes have greater tolerance for slipping wheels. Sometimes they turn off the traction control system too.

Sand mode: Works well in a few inches of soft sand. I have been too timid to push farther than that. Others report great performance in sand. I just bought a pair of traction boards as a confidence booster for sand, so we'll see.

Mud mode: Seems to work, and there are some fun videos of other people driving around in huge mud puddles. But mud is not all made equal. Once you have a couple inches of sticky mud encasing the tires, it doesn't matter how much tread you have or where the torque is going. You're driving on four slippery mud balls and going nowhere.

Rock mode: Back to your question, yeah it does seem to make a difference when rolling over angular features and loose rocks (not gravel). I have run into a few situations where 4WD Lock didn't get me over an obstacle, but then switching on Rock mode did it. Magic!

The part about braking the spinning wheel to shift torque to the other side–from what I gathered elsewhere–is supposed to happen regardless of all these settings. Maybe Rock mode has different thresholds for torque and slippage which changes how aggressive the feature is.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts