Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting new wheels fitted on Saturday and wanted to check..

Is it a straight forward switch to move the OE TPMS sensors from the factory wheels to my new aftermarket wheels?

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hi,

Is it a straight forward switch to move the OE TPMS sensors from the factory wheels to my new aftermarket wheels?

Cheers
This is my first vehicle with TPMS, but I would assume the techs at the shop who does your wheel mounting should have the knowledge.

They look fairly simple (example photo from http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-974-001):

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most TPMS are universal so yes, they should be able to swap them into the new wheels with no issue. They typically favor this too since they don't need to be reprogrammed.

On one of my cars, I was able to work a great deal on a new set of TPMS because I was changing my aftermarket wheels back to my stock wheels. Instead, they offered to install the TPMS $20 per tire rather than $60-$65 normally and I ended up with two sets of TPMS on both sets of wheels! Helped me sell the aftermarket wheels for a bit more with the OEM TPMS in them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Most TPMS are universal so yes, they should be able to swap them into the new wheels with no issue. They typically favor this too since they don't need to be reprogrammed.

On one of my cars, I was able to work a great deal on a new set of TPMS because I was changing my aftermarket wheels back to my stock wheels. Instead, they offered to install the TPMS $20 per tire rather than $60-$65 normally and I ended up with two sets of TPMS on both sets of wheels! Helped me sell the aftermarket wheels for a bit more with the OEM TPMS in them.
Wow, yea that was an excellent deal. I did some quick research on the TPMS valves that are used in most of the new F/C/D/J vehicles. Looks like they're normally a 315MHz model (versus the 433MHz model - which seems to be the other norm') - I've found some fairly reasonably priced after-market options.

http://www.hobd2.com/wholesale/autel-mx-sensor-universal-programmable-tpms-sensor.html

Once I am ready to have my new steelies mounted, if the local shop I normally have do this work for me wants to gouge me for extra TPMS valves, I might grab a set of these. Then all they need to do is program them for my VIN.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Wow, yea that was an excellent deal. I did some quick research on the TPMS valves that are used in most of the new F/C/D/J vehicles. Looks like they're normally a 315MHz model (versus the 433MHz model - which seems to be the other norm') - I've found some fairly reasonably priced after-market options.

http://www.hobd2.com/wholesale/autel-mx-sensor-universal-programmable-tpms-sensor.html

Once I am ready to have my new steelies mounted, if the local shop I normally have do this work for me wants to gouge me for extra TPMS valves, I might grab a set of these. Then all they need to do is program them for my VIN.

Gouge means rip off? That explains the pinstripe gouging thread I have been wondering about for a long time.
When I checked a UK TPMS suppliers web site, the say renegades use 433MHz.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Gouge means rip off? That explains the pinstripe gouging thread I have been wondering about for a long time.
Yes'sir, :)

When I checked a UK TPMS suppliers web site, the say renegades use 433MHz.
Yep, I think you're right... Looks like Jeep changed to the 433MHz TPMS after 2012. At least that's what I've been finding while waiting for the boys to finish up in karate class.

Thanks for correction, :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi,

Cheers
As easy as installing new valves into new wheels. Your tire/wheel shop will take care of it. No need to sweat it.

It's possible to damage the sensors in the process, but that'd be on them not you. Make sure that is their policy so you don't get stuck with their carelessness.

·
Registered
753 Posts
don´t let then fool you ... there is nothing to program for your VIN ... i have two sets of wheels for my Renegade (Winter/Summer) just change the wheels ... when the TMPS are working systems accepts them automatically ...
No way, really? That's kinda of scary, considering that TPMS is basically a wireless network. Transmitter on the valve stem sends out data on a certain frequency every 60 to 120 seconds, which the vehicle then receives and processes.

Good to know though, thanks! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeep recommend new TPMS sensors if you change them only because they quite often break when removing them... They want £185 for new ones, or around $300!!

Not only that but they have to be programmed which is another £110 or $185... Or you can get them fitted for £250 or around $350!!!

All in all they want around £400 or $600 to put new TPMS sensors in my new wheels!!!

What a rip-off...but then you wouldn't expect anything less from a main dealer would you and if I want my TPMS to work again, I don't really have a choice!

.....I guess I'll just put up with the warning light!!!

They'll always get you won't they...I guess it serves me right for wanting to deviate...

:crying:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tire pressure sensors & aftermarket wheels

As I mentioned elsewhere, I intend to purchase dedicated winter tires and install them on aftermarket rims, so I can do quick a changeover at home. If I install tires without tire pressure sensors, what happens to the tire pressure sensing system? Does it simply not read the pressures, or does it flash alarm bells and lights or even affect the ECM?

·
Registered
356 Posts
OK, so the TPS units are easily swappable--I assume they adhere to the inside of the rims? I'll probably have to purchase a 2nd set of them to install in my winter tires (because the whole idea of winter rims is to avoid having to take the tires off the rims).

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, so the TPS units are easily swappable--I assume they adhere to the inside of the rims? I'll probably have to purchase a 2nd set of them to install in my winter tires (because the whole idea of winter rims is to avoid having to take the tires off the rims).

TPS Sensors are typically part of the valve, I have never seen them stuck to the inside of the rim (not saying they aren't)

Here is a picture of what one look like

·
Registered
356 Posts
TPS Sensors are typically part of the valve, I have never seen them stuck to the inside of the rim (not saying they aren't)
OK, that makes sense. I just knew they had to be inside the tire. Never owned a vehicle with TPS before.

I assume they simply pair with a reader on the undercarriage near each wheel?Hopefully they're not ridiculously expensive for a 2nd set.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's radio frequency, if they are made for the Renegade you should have the correct MHz, and after some driving they will calibrate.

They are snap in, as the valve stem ties to the sensor by small torx bolt usually. Valve stem part VS80 I think it is

We charge maybe 60-80 per sensor retail, I can say they def cost at least 20-40

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.