Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, 1st time on a car forum! My husband just brought my new Jeep Renegade home. I am pretty tickled as it is the first car to come close to my beloved Honda Element.
I test drove a 19 or 20. This new one has a feature that is freaking me out a little and feels like it is going to take a lot of getting used to. When I come to a full stop it feels like the engine stalls. Apparently it doesn’t but it feels like it takes enough start going again that it will be stressful at traffic lights. Can someone explain to me why it is like this…..
I found that if I took my foot off the brakes it wouldn’t completely shut down or do whatever it is doing then, but that doesn’t sound like a safe alternative.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Hi there, 1st time on a car forum! My husband just brought my new Jeep Renegade home. I am pretty tickled as it is the first car to come close to my beloved Honda Element.
I test drove a 19 or 20. This new one has a feature that is freaking me out a little and feels like it is going to take a lot of getting used to. When I come to a full stop it feels like the engine stalls. Apparently it doesn’t but it feels like it takes enough start going again that it will be stressful at traffic lights. Can someone explain to me why it is like this…..
I found that if I took my foot off the brakes it wouldn’t completely shut down or do whatever it is doing then, but that doesn’t sound like a safe alternative.
Thanks in advance!
W E L C O M E ! ! !
... to the forum.

Do you happen to know the trim level, and/or engine size?

Some of these have the "Start-Stop" feature. When you come to a complete stop, the engine will turn off and then start up again when the brake peddle is released.

The battery and starter are (should be) more heavy duty to take the abuse of continuously starting and stopping over the Renegade without the Start-stop feature.

It does take a little getting use to, and a couple seconds longer to get going after coming to a stop, but it sounds like it is working as designed. IF you have this Start-Stop feature.

If you do have this feature, there should be a button to disable it, and then it should drive like a conventional Renegade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow, thanks so much! A disable button would be great. BTW it is the limited trim, but no idea the engine size.
I really didn’t do my due diligence with researching this car. I saw it across the road while I was at the Toyota dealer and it reminded me so much of my Element I was sold before even test driving.
I have my manual out and will look around for the disable button.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L (Former Vehicle)
741 Posts
Thanks in advance!
Congrats on the Jeep!
First time experiencing “start/stop” technology for me was just recently. I didn’t realize the Jeep had it and thought something was seriously wrong. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

Have fun with your new little Jeep!

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Start/stop imho is a piece of sh1t.

I have mine disabled on the central console beside the gear stick. Like the OP I too sh1t myself when the engine first stopped. Thereafter I ensured it won't happen again on purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks.
Yeah, I thought we got a bad one and this was after my husband drove it home from 5 hrs. away not knowing about the lane correction…..apparently he rides the white line kinda tight.
For such a little tank it has some cushy features.
But that start/stop has got to go. Fortunately we live in the country so I don’t need to feel guilty wasting the gas and all that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh wow, thanks so much! A disable button would be great. BTW it is the limited trim, but no idea the engine size.
I really didn’t do my due diligence with researching this car. I saw it across the road while I was at the Toyota dealer and it reminded me so much of my Element I was sold before even test driving.
Thanks again!
I had a 2020 Ford Ranger XLT that had that start/stop feature(before I got into a serious accident just sitting at stop light), I absolutely hated it but thankfully there was a disable button. For craps and giggles I tried using it for a full tank to see how much gas I would save and honestly I did not save that much, so I continued to use the disable button. After the accident and it being "totaled" by my insurance company I decided to try the Jeep Renegade and have a 2019 Latitude(this trim level I did not get that function...thank god). Congrats on the new vehicle, with all of the new functions for safety it definitely takes time to get used to.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Welcome!

Yes, it'll be in your Owner's Manual.

On these Renegades, whether or not they have Auto Stop/Start -- and how it's controlled -- has varied depending on model year, engine type, and apparently which part of the world you're in.

On our 2021 U.S.-spec Trailhawk with the 1.3T engine, it's a standard feature. The switch to disable it is here:

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Unfortunately, on our vehicle, it'll only remain disabled for the current trip. When the Trailhawk is started up again, the Auto Stop/Start is automatically enabled again.

Your mileage may vary...

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Marek, I am so glad that when my start/stop is disabled it stays that way till I ever reset that toggle switch :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts