Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had great time this new years out in the Desert like I always do. Brought the Renegade along of course and it performed great. I have taken it out to there before but this weekend I did a little sand skating. We Normally camp at plaster city west (Ocotillo Ca) and so I've done a lot of stuff around that area but this weekend I wanted to take this jeep up to Sand Dam, located on Superstition. It was an easy 30-45 min drive from our camp. Along the way you can see the bombing range.

We get over to superstition and stop at the vender area because I always get a new years shirt, and some carne asada fries cause why not. Most of our group has Razrs and my father in law rocks an old baja bug. The Razr group decided they didnt really wanna go to sand dam because to them its nothing special or really a challenge. This left my father in law and myself to plunder ahead.

Now I have been up to sand dam plenty of times, but never in a vehicle such as this. I have driven in some sandy washes and it has done really well, but sand dam is all soft, buttery sand. It was going to be a challenge. I aired down the tires to 20psi and we headed out from the vender staging area.

I led the way as we headed slighty north-west along the base of the mountain area. Tons of people around, it is after all new years weekend. The baja bug started chugging a bit and we had to stop and blow the fuel line out. Once that was cleared we continued on. We took a turn to soon and headed straight up a steeper part of the trail and headed up having to turn around. The stock tires didnt have the traction and the little 2.4L didnt have the power for the steeper stuff.

Not detoured we headed to the actual trail head. Keep in mind it's still all sand at this point. We headed up the easier of the paths toward our goal. There is a slight fork in the trail, left being a steep sand hill and right being a steeper but rockier hill. I took the right and it crawled right up. No problem! I waited for the baja to make it up.

So that was the hardest part of the trail for us, that last hill. Once at the top the renegade floated over the soft stuff with ease. There were a ton of other jeeps up there, mostly wranglers old and new. Everyone looked as I drove past them.

We didnt go as far as to drive down to the base of sand dam, as the only exit route (besides straight up the hill) was crowded due to the holiday weekend so we stayed at the top and watched people race up and down. None the less we still made it to sand dam, a feat I believe worthy of this story for such a vehicle.

The renegade does better in the sand than I truly expected, on stock tires. In the beginning I really didn't think it was going to make it, I was going just to say I tried. The renegade surprised me. It it pretty agile for this type of vehicle. Feels light in the sand, even fully loaded with myself, the wife and two kids (who slept the entire time...). I noticed no weird clunky or grinding noises as another member mentioned in another post. I was in sand mode the entire time. Having the tires air down is a must for something like this. I was to excited and forgot to take pictures of my trip but I can provide the GPS data. I will include some pictures from the internet of sand dam so ou can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a couple pictures I found by doing a quick search. These are not my images, I'm just using them as a reference.

SD1 is on the top

sd2 is a look from the bottom

sd3 is another look from the top ridge down to the bottom

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.