Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to the Renegade but not at all new to Jeeps. I've owned CJ's, YJ's, WJ's, a KJ, a ZJ and an XK over the years. Some of you probably have no idea what those letters mean, suffice it to say they're old Jeeps. I currently daily drive a 2008 Ram 1500 out of necessity but you better believe I'll be back in a Jeep again one of these days.

I'm back here because my wife just bought a 2016 Renegade Latitude 4x4 in glacier. She picked it because she loves it and after testing a RAV4, VW, Ford Edge and a couple Chevy's she felt the Renegade was the best.

As Jeep guy, I know what the Renegade is and what it is not. It is NOT a Jeep. I'll still get angry at anyone who calls it a "car", but it's not a real Jeep. Jeep (FCA) may have done a remarkable job of making it seem like a Jeep, but it's not. Now, I owned a Liberty that I lifted and wheeled more than many guys wheel their TJ's. I know what its like to be a part of the "that ain't a real Jeep" crowd. It sucks and there's nothing better than proving the naysayers wrong. Therefore, I'm 100% willing to give the Renegade a shot at earning my respect. I'll say that I like the way it looks and drives (now) and for what she will use it for, I have to assume that it will perform quite well. I'm not here to trash it. I'm here to see what you guys are doing with yours and maybe get some help and tips along the way that will make our ownership of this Jeep better and more fulfilling.

Anyway, she picks it up Saturday, I'll be sure to post photos when I can. I look forward to contributing here, keep up the good work everyone.

· Registered
358 Posts
And my Buell is NOT a Harley! :eek:

Question, though: just how much of the Renegade is Jeep, and how much is Fiat? Interestingly, I think it's the Fiat bits like the drivetrain that attract me more than the Jeep bits like the "iconic 7-slot grille."

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Hey guys. New to the Renegade but not at all new to Jeeps. I've owned CJ's, YJ's, WJ's, a KJ, a ZJ and an XK over the years. Some of you probably have no idea what those letters mean, suffice it to say they're old Jeeps. I currently daily drive a 2008 Ram 1500 out of necessity but you better believe I'll be back in a Jeep again one of these days.

I'm back here because my wife just bought a 2016 Renegade Latitude 4x4 in glacier. She picked it because she loves it and after testing a RAV4, VW, Ford Edge and a couple Chevy's she felt the Renegade was the best.

As Jeep guy, I know what the Renegade is and what it is not. It is NOT a Jeep. I'll still get angry at anyone who calls it a "car", but it's not a real Jeep. Jeep (FCA) may have done a remarkable job of making it seem like a Jeep, but it's not. Now, I owned a Liberty that I lifted and wheeled more than many guys wheel their TJ's. I know what its like to be a part of the "that ain't a real Jeep" crowd. It sucks and there's nothing better than proving the naysayers wrong. Therefore, I'm 100% willing to give the Renegade a shot at earning my respect. I'll say that I like the way it looks and drives (now) and for what she will use it for, I have to assume that it will perform quite well. I'm not here to trash it. I'm here to see what you guys are doing with yours and maybe get some help and tips along the way that will make our ownership of this Jeep better and more fulfilling.

Anyway, she picks it up Saturday, I'll be sure to post photos when I can. I look forward to contributing here, keep up the good work everyone.
Greetings from the UK. Welcome to the world of the Jeep Renegade

:ReneBlueWave:

Perhaps you should contact Jeep and tell them that in your opinion the Renegade is not a real Jeep. There are folk on here that have had or still have CJs, YJs, WJs, KJs, ZJs, XJs and TJs as well as the Renegade.

In the UK we have a Honda plant, so does that mean that the Hondas that are built in the UK are not real Hondas?
The Land Rover Freelander is also assembled in knock-down kit form in Pune, India, so does this mean that it is not a real Land Rover?
Some Toyotas are built in the USA, so does mean that they aren't real Toyotas?

· Registered
190 Posts

Not a fan of the whole being told my Jeep isn't a Jeep, so I'm not even gonna go there right now.

But best of luck to your wife and her new Renegade!!
I agree, I'm also not a fan of being told it's not a Jeep, I've had CJ-7's and I feel this is just as much Jeep as they were. Maybe it won't tackle quit as much terrain, but it's still a Jeep.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Perhaps you should contact Jeep and tell them that in your opinion the Renegade is not a real Jeep.

I'm not really sure why anyone would do this, but if I did I suspect they'd ask me to read to them what it says on the hood between the headlights and tell me to eff off.

I guess that "real Jeep" statement was taken wrong by some of you, and I figured it would be which is why I included my little history about my Jeep Liberty. I'm not here to trash the Renegade. I think I said that, too. I guess you guys were blinded by rage when I called your Jeeps not Jeeps.

just how much of the Renegade is Jeep, and how much is Fiat? Interestingly, I think it's the Fiat bits like the drivetrain that attract me more than the Jeep bits like the "iconic 7-slot grille."

Everything under the skin is Fiat. Designed, engineered, tested and built. If the Fiat bits attracted you more, you could have just purchased a Fiat, no?

Bottom line - these days, a vehicle is whatever it says on the side. I'm not some old closed-minded curmudgeon. I'm just here to share experiences and learn about the vehicle, and I sincerely hope that it will impress me (I have no reason to believe it won't). Sorry if I offended anyone.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that reminds me...you guys own Jeeps, you need to stop calling it a "car". If you want it to be considered a Jeep, you have to call it a Jeep. It's not a car.

· Registered
358 Posts
Everything under the skin is Fiat. Designed, engineered, tested and built. If the Fiat bits attracted you more, you could have just purchased a Fiat, no?
Actually, I looked at a Fiat 500X, but I like the Renegade body and interior space better. Also, I understand the Fiat doesn't have quite as extensive a 4WD system.

I gotta say, I'm chuckling a bit reading about the "not a Jeep!" comments. Really, these days, all the automakers are so cross-pollinated it's hard to determine sometimes just what is what. The Renegade, as I understand it, is styled by Jeep but engineered and built by Fiat--which is fine by me.

I watched one video review from South Africa, and their comment was, "Jeep needed a small car; Fiat is very good at making small cars." Seems about right to me (and sorry, it's a car...:) )

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I wasn't blinded by rage, I am thick skinned. It don't matter to me where my vehicle is built, as long as it is put together well and nowt drops off, rattles, bangs, clunks etc when I drive it.

I know some still call it a car, but you know, I know and the majority know it ain't. What does annoy me is when folk call any 4x4 a Jeep. I ask what badge has it got and when they say Shogun, Rav4 etc, I ask since when did Jeep do those models? That irks me!

Enjoy the forum.

· Premium Member
1,540 Posts
And that reminds me...you guys own Jeeps, you need to stop calling it a "car". If you want it to be considered a Jeep, you have to call it a Jeep. It's not a car.
I agree on that, it's not a car at all. But the enthusiasts on here already know it. Some people are new to the Jeep brand and they are learning. Some are not from the US and aren't really familiar with the 'it should be called a Jeep at all times' rule. But they are coming 'round. :D

I was not blinded by rage either. Just got to look at it from our side. Someone new joining the forums for this specific vehicle and then telling us it's not a "real" thing, and that we also probably don't know the older vehicle model codes.
Just saying...lots of us are Jeep fans and come from previous Jeeps. So reading that as an intro post might give some pause.

But now we got the awkwardness out of the way...and I am looking forward to the pics of your new Renegade!

· Registered
358 Posts
Saw a video about the Fiat Panda--makes me agree with P62, the Renegade is as much an upsized Panda as a downsized Jeep. Maybe moreso. And I kinda like that. I don't really need a Wrangler; I'm one of the "new" customers Jeep's been trying to attract--and this little upsized Panda is doing it.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What does annoy me is when folk call any 4x4 a Jeep.

Agreed!

Fair enough guys. I sincerely do appreciate new perspectives on the brand, something many guys who go "way back" with Jeep really do not. And I can understand that leading with the "not a real Jeep" theme wasn't a good new guy post.

She picked it up today, hopefully I can get some good photos of it tomorrow after work.

Cheers and keep the shiny side up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.