Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and thanks for any advice/knowledge you may be able to impart.
Have just acquired a 2016 Jeep Renegade 1.4 multiair Limited 5dr.
I am also a new driver and this is my first car at the grand age of 55 ! So some questions might seem very dumb !
Wonder if anyone can help with these issues ? :
Auto start/stop (think that's the terminology for feature that prevents idling ?) : This seems to work intermittently without any input from me.
Is this a fault, or should I be enabling it in some way ? Seems to have a mind of its own !
Sat Nav works, but I can't seem to get it to speak to me. Only get visuals. Am I being really dense and missing something here ?
If I put headlights on in low light (not dark) dashboard display lighting goes so dim as to be almost unreadable even with dashboard lighting dial dialled right up. Normal or faulty ?
When first driven had dashboard warning that rear number plate lighting had an issue, however, seemed to be working fine when inspected visually. Warning seems to be more intermittent now.
Thanks in advance, M.

·
Super Moderator
2,327 Posts
Hello. Welcome.

• Stop/Start will engage depending on the state of your battery. If it's a 2016 then might be a good time to check and replace the battery before winter sets in, if needed.

• SatNav mute button is on screen, top left side iirc

• Instrument dimmer is next to the headlight beam high adjuster. Which is next to the headlight/foglight switches. Yes, things dim with headlights on.
I think there is also a setting in the "settings" (gear cog) menu on the touch screen for this.​

• i'd check the numberplate bulb holder and wire connectors. Clean if necessary.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. Welcome.

• Stop/Start will engage depending on the state of your battery. If it's a 2016 then might be a good time to check and replace the battery before winter sets in, if needed.

• SatNav mute button is on screen, top left side iirc

• Instrument dimmer is next to the headlight beam high adjuster. Which is next to the headlight/foglight switches. Yes, things dim with headlights on.
I think there is also a setting in the "settings" (gear cog) menu on the touch screen for this.​

• i'd check the numberplate bulb holder and wire connectors. Clean if necessary.
Enjoy!
Thanks so much Nev, very helpful.
May I indulge in one more question : my wing mirrors do not fold electronically even though a button exists to do this. Is this because my version doesn't accommodate this feature and the button is redundant, or could there be a fault (perhaps battery again) ? To be clear, the wing mirrors do adjust electronically, but no folding.

·
Super Moderator
2,327 Posts
I think mirrors should fold when you press the button. But it could be linked to trim level.
They don't fold when you lock with the key remote.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found the stop/start annoying after a while so I switched it off, and, like it's been mentioned, the battery needs to be in good condition to be able to cope with the extra demand from starting the engine more than normal. As for the folding mirrors. You have the four directional arrows, does the arrow at six o'clock have a switch with a white icon underneath it ? If it doesn't my guess is that you don't have the automatic mirror folding feature

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the stop/start annoying after a while so I switched it off, and, like it's been mentioned, the battery needs to be in good condition to be able to cope with the extra demand from starting the engine more than normal. As for the folding mirrors. You have the four directional arrows, does the arrow at six o'clock have a switch with a white icon underneath it ? If it doesn't my guess is that you don't have the automatic mirror folding feature
Cheers Snouty, I will take a look and see if the icon is present. Would be interested to know how you switched off the stop/start feature. You wouldn't happen to know how much mileage you can get after the fuel gauge says empty would you? I've made a schoolboy error with fuel and am now worried if I'll get to the petrol station (it's only 10 mins away). Anxiety !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has the low fuel light come on, if you've been driving along for a while with it on you might be pushing your luck. I would think if it hasn't come on you should be ok, but it's a bit hard to say for sure. I have two buttons next to the handbrake switch, I think one has a car with wiggly lines and the other has a capital A with an arrow going around it, it's the A button you need

·
Registered
2021 Trailhawk
40 Posts
Cheers Snouty, I will take a look and see if the icon is present. Would be interested to know how you switched off the stop/start feature. You wouldn't happen to know how much mileage you can get after the fuel gauge says empty would you? I've made a schoolboy error with fuel and am now worried if I'll get to the petrol station (it's only 10 mins away). Anxiety !
I've accidentally "tested" the empty fuel light indicator coming on to the miles to be driven before running out completely. I calculated it was about 1/2 a gallon to a gallon left. ( For me it would be about 10-25 miles) I filled up and it took about 12 gallons I would guesstimate it's about a gallon or less. So depending on your driving style, use caution and assume it's less than you think.

As far as the dimming dash issue, I have a TH too. There is a setting inside the radio where the lights will dim automatically, which the sensitivity can be adjusted or turned off. You may have to toggle around the settings menu to locate the correct orientation for it. ( Check the little bulbous thingy at the front of the dash near the windshield and see if there is any debris blocking the sensor, that will cause havoc with the auto dim feature too. )

I haven't found a way to permanantly turn off the Auto Stop/Start function. I just press the button on the gear console everytime I start the Jeep.

You can turn off the collision warning function though, there's a button under the "screen off" one that has a dotted line & car on it. Press it and the button turns yellow/amber which means it's off. I found that feature extremely annoying.

·
Registered
2021 Trailhawk
40 Posts
Yes, I have a manual, but it keeps using the caveat "where provided" for the features that it describes.
You can get a copy of the actual window sticker to know exactly what features you have. Have your VIN handy and go on MOPAR.COM and register your VIN. Once you've entered the VIN, you can access a few options, one is for the window sticker.

Oops, I see your British flag, you'll need to change the country once you get to the site. Sorry about that.

Jeep® Service, Parts & Accessories | Official Mopar® Site

1 - 13 of 13 Posts