Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check out Stow N Sho. It isn't drilled in the front of the bumper but on the bottom. I HATE that my dealer already drilled the holes not only on the Jeep but my Charger too. **** TX for this stupid front license plate law.

http://www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com/#2761

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a no drill plate holder from US Mill Works for my MINI Cooper. I don't think they make them for Jeeps. It was a stainless bolt / bracket that screwed into the front tow hole. My Renegade was drilled by the dealer. I wonder why the manufacturers do not have a less damaging option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front Plate Solution

I think I found the answer for the no drill Renegade front plate mount.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/fiat-platypus-license-plate-mount/

CravenSpeed has a threaded tow hook plate mount that is designed for the Fiat 500X. After much communication and photos back and forth, they are convinced that it will fit perfectly on the Renegade so I am going to try it and confirm. Note that their website does not show a photo of a threaded, tow hook style mount for the Fiat 500X. They only have photos of the under mount style with 2 screws for the other Fiat models. They assure me that the mount for the 500X and 500C are both threaded studs that install in the tow hook port.

For the record...I hate front license plate laws. Just one more way for some states to collect more road tax.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think I found the answer for the no drill Renegade front plate mount.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/fiat-platypus-license-plate-mount/

CravenSpeed has a threaded tow hook plate mount that is designed for the Fiat 500X. After much communication and photos back and forth, they are convinced that it will fit perfectly on the Renegade so I am going to try it and confirm. Note that their website does not show a photo of a threaded, tow hook style mount for the Fiat 500X. They only have photos of the under mount style with 2 screws for the other Fiat models. They assure me that the mount for the 500X and 500C are both threaded studs that install in the tow hook port.

For the record...I hate front license plate laws. Just one more way for some states to collect more road tax.
That is indeed a good option.

Those that want to take it up a notch can even get a hideaway plate system, they come motorized with remote function and manual.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has anyone checked their Renegade for the from tow hook attachment?

I looked into this because by Scion tC and my brother's IS350 both have the tow hook license plate holder.

But when I popped of the cap cover on the front bumper for my "Trailhawk", I don't have anything behind it. There is no threads in there to screw on a tow hook. There is also no tow hook in the trunk. I'm not sure if this is because I have a Trailhawk and already have the red tow hooks installed or if all the Renegade's are the same.

Can someone with a non Trailhawk check to see if their Renegade has threads behind the front tow hook cover? And can you verify if your Renegade comes with a tow hook?

My Trailhawk has the full size spare and scissor jack. No flat tire kit.

I'm thinking of welding a nut on the front metal bumper behind the tow hook cover, so that I can use a tow hook license plate holder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check out Stow N Sho. It isn't drilled in the front of the bumper but on the bottom. I HATE that my dealer already drilled the holes not only on the Jeep but my Charger too. **** TX for this stupid front license plate law.

http://www.bigmikesperformanceparts.com/#2761
Cant you just put it in the front window? I just recently moved here and skating a fine line as I haven't put mine on the front of my Charger as there is no way to get it on there that I see so I keep it in the car.

Dumb, I know

·
Registered
221 Posts
The no front license plate or license plate in the inside front windshield varies from state to state, locally, and enforced per officer.

I live in California and from my understanding we have to have a front license plate. I currently have not mounted my front license plate on the Renegade.

People I know who have there license plates in the front of the windshields have had various experiences with law enforcements. It's been 50/50 if you will get a correction ticket or not from what I've heard. It's all up to the officer you encounter. In the event of a head on collision, the license plate can fly back and hit the driver or passenger.

I've gotten pulled over for speeding and the officer wrote me up for having clear license plate covers on. He said they are blocking the visual view of my license plates. Urm... they are clear and still pretty new. I used them on the front to keep the bugs off and in the rear to match. I've seen people with the smoked covers or yellow old crusty covers and they obviously never been called out on it by a law enforcement officer.

I've also heard that if the DMV only sends you 1 license plate, it is to be placed on the rear of the car and the front obviously won't have one. You can try to use this excuse on the officer and see if he cares or not. This is want I'm going with until I find a acceptable way (to me) to mount the front license plate. The DMV most likely won't make the mistake of sending you just 1 license plate though.

But this is all hear say. It's easier to just follow your local laws and avoid any problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cant you just put it in the front window? I just recently moved here and skating a fine line as I haven't put mine on the front of my Charger as there is no way to get it on there that I see so I keep it in the car.

Dumb, I know
Yes you can have it in your windshield. It is not a ticketable offense in Texas as long as it is visible and not obstructed. If you get pulled over take a picture of the front of your vehicle on the traffic stop and use it in court to get it dismissed. The law states it needs to be visible on the "front portion of the vehicle". That includes the windshield. I might recommend you to find the law and print it just in case. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is what the CravenSpeed Platypus mount looks like installed on the Renegade tow hook (same mount as used on the Fiat 500X).

Is that screwed into the tow hook hole? The one on CravenSpeed's website shows that it is not. It's a bracket that you still have to screw holes in a non visible location.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plate Mount

Is that screwed into the tow hook hole? The one on CravenSpeed's website shows that it is not. It's a bracket that you still have to screw holes in a non visible location.
Yes. CravenSpeed's website does not picture the mount for the Fiat 500X. They only show the other Fiat mounts that screw beneath the front bumper. This one does fit the threads of the tow hook hole. I had to email back and forth several times to be certain this was correct. As long as you specify the Fiat 500X when you order, you will receive this exact mount.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes. CravenSpeed's website does not picture the mount for the Fiat 500X. They only show the other Fiat mounts that screw beneath the front bumper. This one does fit the threads of the tow hook hole. I had to email back and forth several times to be certain this was correct. As long as you specify the Fiat 500X when you order, you will receive this exact mount.

Good to know for everyone else. My Trailhawk doesn't have the screw mount though. Guess I'll get one and then weld on a big nut.

Reactions: txshelterman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cravenspeed's site now lists their license plate bracket for Jeep Renegades. They also have one that attaches under the bumper to 2 stock bolts for the Trailhawks that don't have the threaded tow hook port.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
front license required?

I live in Ohio . The front license plate was displayed, sitting horizontally, on the dash leaning against the windshield. That is until I was stopped by the Ohio State Highway Patrol."You were stopped because you do not have a front license plate properly displayed". When I pointed out the plate I was told that "it has to be clearly visible ,Zip tie it to the outside if you have to". That little protest cost $153.00 .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.