Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can determine, there is no option on my vehicle (Trailhawk, Australia) to have only parking lights on. There is also no option to have no lights at all, unless both the engine and ignition is off. Minimum lighting is Daylight Running Lights (DRL). I don't even know where the front parking lights are - are they identical with the DRLs?

The lighting control has 4 positions: counting clockwise, the are 'parking lights', 'O' (for off), 'auto', 'headlights'. The 'parking' position (the symbol resembles cats' whiskers) is momentary: it springs back to Off. It appears to have no effect in all the tests I have done.

The illustrations in the instruction book show a different order of lighting control positions: 'parking lights' and 'O' are reversed. This order is also shown in the non-Australian (UK and USA) brochures that I have, so presumably the layout of mine applies either (a) only to Australia, or (b) to all countries with compulsory/recommended DRL usage.

My instruction book describes the usage for the non-Australian layout of positions. The book came with some correction pages, replacing the original picture and words for the lighting control, but not altering the meaning. I assume that the switch is still spring-loaded, so that the 'O' is momentary operation.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Perhaps other Australian owners. Perhaps a software update will fix it ....

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't even know where the front parking lights are - are they identical with the DRLs?

The bulb for the DRLs is a P20/5W so has 2 filaments.The DRLs use the 20W and the parking light the 5w . I'll have to fiddle around with mine later (problem is opening the doors puts on the parking light at the front at least) but I think that if you put the spring loaded switch to the left and hold it for a second the parking lights comes on, and if you do it again they go off... but would need to try it in the car with the wife watching or open the window and switch them on through the open window.

·
Registered
261 Posts
OK...I opened the window and turned the ignition off got out the car closed the door. No lights. I reached in and moved the spring loaded switch to the left and held it there for a moment and the parking lights came on and stayed on (dim DRL plus rear lights). Reached in again and turned the spring loaded switch to the left again and held momentarily, and the parking lights went out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks RedX, and Ted. Now I get it.

I HAD tried holding it in the spring-loaded left position, but not with the car switched right off. That does the trick: 'front and rear parking lights ONLY' status is available only when car is fully off (which I suppose makes sense).

Dual filaments: I hadn't noticed it before. I see now that the DRLs (20W filaments) do go off when the headlights are on, but the parking lights (5W filaments) stay on. Again, that makes sense.

It leaves me with one last embarrassing lights question. I have now observed that the direction indicators (flashers) are also integrated into the DRL/parking units. I had assumed that the larger, separate orange light units on the front wings were the indicators. I have seen them referred to (in the mods section of this forum) as 'Markers' but I haven't seen them do anything, so what's the story there? I also see a light aperture on the outside edge of the rear lighting units - or is that just a reflector?

Final comment: the way a fog light comes on as you turn the steering is really good, and is useful, not just a gimmick.

·
Registered
367 Posts
In the UK and, I suspect Oz as well they are just reflectors. You can see when you open the bonnet.
Easy to remove too as they just clip in.
I'd like to light them up (and the back ones) but without paying $100 for aftermarket ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.