Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Non-dealer completed repair which should have been covered by warranty

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  puddlesplasher 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Renegade Sport 1.4T w/ manual transmission with only 21k miles. About a week ago I noticed I had no power going up hill and after 20 minutes of highway driving I could smell the clutch was burned. I figured I would take it in to the shop the next day after I dropped my kids off at daycare. On my way back from that trip (another 40+ minutes of mostly highway driving), the clutch gave out all together and I was forced to have it towed. I dropped it off at the local dealer who took a look at it and quoted me $2200 for a new clutch & pressure plate -- not covered under warranty of course (since the clutch is "consumable"). Being fiscally responsible, I got a quote from another local shop to have the clutch & pressure plate replaced for $1500 and ended up taking it there for repair. When the shop actually completed the teardown they found that a chunk had broken off of the clutch slave cylinder seal and that this had caused the clutch to burn out prematurely.

As it was caused by the slave cylinder failure I believe that this issue should actually have been covered by the powertrain warranty (for which I am still within the 3 year/36k mile limit), however the repair has already been made by the local shop. Does anyone know if there is any provision under which the warranty can be paid to reimburse me for the cost of the repair which should have been covered if it had been diagnosed correctly by the dealer?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. This forum has Jeep Cares which is a conduit to FCA to help forum members with problems they are having. They monitor this forum regularly and will more than likely reach out to you about your problem. Good luck, clutches are hard to get reimbursed for. Do you have the parts that were replaced? That might help your situation.

#4 ·
The dealership service section should have a claim reimbursement center for repairs made that are/should be covered under warranty.
Just don't give them the parts unless they are willing to work with you. Keep the original receipt, and if the dealer needs the parts, take pictures for your records.

#7 ·
Update with some bad news:

FCA denied my reimbursement request immediately due to the fix being completed by an independent repair facility. I called back in and asked if there was any recourse due to the extenuating circumstances of a misdiagnosis by the dealer and was told that if I took the old parts back into the dealer for a rediagnosis and they agreed with the repair shop's findings that FCA would reopen my case. Well I've officially hit a wall because the dealer refuses to even look at the parts since the work was already done by a different shop. Also according to them "slave cylinder failures are extremely rare and wouldn't cause clutch burn out." They had zero explanation for what could have caused the burn out on such a new car though.

Looks like I'm stuck with this ridiculous bill for a new clutch on a 2 year old car with only 20k miles...

#10 ·
Wow... so frustrating when you get these dealerships that won't work with you to make things right. If it's a warranty repair it doesn't even come out of the dealership's pocket. I think the evidence you have is more than enough to suggest a failure beyond standard clutch wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.