• Non Trailhawk

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I am looking to purchase a used renegade on a dirt cheap budget and was debating on getting a sport and doing some mods to it later... My question is, do the Trailhawk and Non-trailhawk share after market support, or are the different? Essentially in terms of skid plates, I read somewhere that the Valkyrie skids do not work on non-th models but couldn’t find that anywhere else. What are your experiences. Which would you get if you were in my position? I appreciate the help!

Best,
Archer

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
What a strange Poll. :unsure:o_O

Without owning both vehicles I cannot offer you a true vote in the Poll.

I have the Renegade and coming up for 5 years have had no reason to use any after market support. Perhaps I am misreading your topic and you mean something totally different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a strange Poll. :unsure:o_O

Without owning both vehicles I cannot offer you a true vote in the Poll.

I have the Renegade and coming up for 5 years have had no reason to use any after market support. Perhaps I am misreading your topic and you mean something totally different.
Haha your probably right, I’ve reworded the question a little maybe that will help. I’m trying to decide with version to get. Which versions do you have and what do you use if for any moderate off-roading if so how has it performed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're planning on off-roading, I think it's worth the little extra to get the Trailhawk. I take mine out once a month or so and having the skid plates and a little extra ground clearance has been a big plus. Can't tell you how many times I've scraped those plates already. Exhaust is pretty dinged up too... but that's unavoidable without rerouting it over the rear swing arm. Also, having 4L is GREAT. Even if it's not a true 4L, it really helps for those situations where you need to crawl nice and easy.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The Trailhawk has more advantages other than just the skid plates. A major difference is the Trailhawk has recovery points, none of the other models have that. There are options availabe such as Avid bumpers and others. The Trailhawk is a little higher, has beefier springs and larger brakes. It also has a "low" range. I personally would try to get a Trailhawk. It would be ready to go out of the box. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on, thanks for weighing in! I hadn’t realized the springs and breaks were heavier duty. That’s something I’ll have to keep in mind in addition to that little lift and the plates. Do you feel like the factory lift is enough or do you wish it was higher?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I think factory vs additional lift depends on what type of off reading is to be done. Heavy off roading would be better with an additional lift for sure. Running fire roads and easy trails the factory lift (which is less than 1") would more than likely work fine. A lift wouldn't hurt. One upgrade you might consider regardless of which model you get would be tires. A good set of A/T tires would be good for any model going off road.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I want to mention that the Upland model does have front recovery points but not rear.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
@Archer: What type of driving do you do? That's the very important question to answer.

Though I am in the UK and have the diesel 2.0L 4x4 Renegade it fulfills all the functions I bought it for ie launching and recovering a boat from a variety of beach conditions. It handles well on wet roads whilst it drives just a car. I get excellent and I mean over the top excellence on fuel consumption. (I use a chip in the engine).

Using the UK to US calculation it equates to around 40mpg but again this is a diesel.

No repairs in 5 years other than tyres for regular wear and tear. Oh, I replaced a battery (sorry, Arnold Clark Dealership replaced it) due to a few issues with involuntary warning lights on the dashboard.

If I was doing any off roading and I mean "The basic" off roading then It would be a TrailHawk for me.

Then again as it's only between 2 Jeeps that you seek advice on your options, again will depend upon your own ideas on your Jeep usage.

Keep in mind that a few people actively complain about bad experiences with all Jeeps. Yet very few happy Jeep owners ever complain. I have seen more happy comments than negative ones.

I can only hope you make the choice that is right for you. Bigger is better................I wonder where I heard that:unsure: OMG my wife said that :p:p:p after I bought baby Jeep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much your responses so far everyone. I appreciate your help and advice! My purpose is for it to be a fun vehicle that I can have fun in the Arizona Desert/Mountians with. I don't plan on climbing any walls or crawling on a lot of huge rocks (at least I don't plan to seek them out) but would like to have the ability to get into some of the more primitive areas of the outdoor environments that I enjoy without having to be overly concerned when I leave the house about whether or not I will be able to make it. My concern is that the AZ wilderness is what it is and I don't want to be left wanting.... If that provides no detail, I apologize lol... I am finding it difficult to quantify what I feel like I need.

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
welcomegroup

and enjoy the forum!

If your going off road get the TH if not pick any of the other ones.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I am finding it difficult to quantify what I feel like I need.
Have no fear as MrSig and IDMOR have a few rugged Jeeps that will more than serve your purposes and both are happy to discuss it with you. PM them directly and strike up a chat if you are unsure.

Madness Autoworks have created a lovely blue Jeep (I want it) with everything you need.

Jusr remember not to go off trail alone in the off chance the Jeep gets stuck and you are stranded. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts