Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New York on Long Island. There is 7 inches of unplowed snow in my neighborhood. I cleared my driveway put my TH in 4 wheel drive(I didn't use the snow gear)(my tires are stock) and turned off the traction control. The Jeep was a champ. I didn't have to get a running start at all. I never came close to getting stuck. I stopped and started a few times and my top speed was probably 30 MPH. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I had to go out this morning. The Trailhawk was awesome in the snow. I tried both 4WD lock and snow mode (also locks 4WD). Either mode seemed to work equally well but you have to press the pedal a little more while in snow mode. Maybe the computer biases the rear more in snow mode, I don't know. And I turned off the traction control and ESC (dislike when either TC or ESC intervenes with my driving).

There weren't any problems at all. We have around 12-14 inches so far here in PA and many roads aren't plowed yet. There is a lot of drifting across the road and the Renegade didn't miss a beat.

I drove on a mix of back roads and some highway to get to the MIL's to get her situated. Most back roads are completely snow covered, some with a foot or more. I'll have to admit that I was up to 45 on the highway (current speed limit) and the vehicle was just marvelous.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures and I don't have a GoPro.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got called into work at 7am in Hicksville. We had like 7" on the ground by the time I cleared the s is from my house. Had a nice 3 mile trip to the shop. Here she is tucked in at the shop lol. Used 4wd lock and snow mode on the way in the return trip was different. Used snow mode 4wd lock and once I got to the side streets I used the 4wd low in addiction to manual shifting. This this was amazing in the snow

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
bwbike, what is ESC and how do you change it?
Electronic Stability Control. If you press the traction control button, the traction control turns off. But if you press and hold the traction control button, the traction control turns off, and then about 5 seconds later, the ESC turns off. Then let go of the button.

The ESC is handy for those who don't (or can't) feel when the car is starting to drift away from the intended direction you're driving. It will reduce power and/or apply brakes to one or more wheels to correct for the errant drift.

I find ESC annoying, especially in the snow. It intervenes as I am compensating for the drift and causes an over-reaction. And to lose power when I press the gas pedal harder isn't fun.

If you "know" how to drive in snow, you won't need ESC. However, if you just like to drive without paying attention, leave the ESC on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had 8"-9" of snow in Western NC. I had to drive 15 miles to my parent's house this morning. I left the 4WD selector on auto, but hit the 4WD Lock button. No problems on the trip. My father's driveway is literally at 45°. I drove up and down it like it was a dry, sunny day. This was my first time using 4wd (on purpose) in my TH since I purchased it in Aug '15 and I'm VERY impressed with snow handling!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, I've read this and some of the other threads about driving in the snow. I have 2 questions, and I am hoping somebody can explain it to me - like you would explain it to a 6 year old....
1. Why would you turn of traction control in a snow storm or on snowy roads. What about icy roads, say when the snow is just starting to fall. and

2. I have tried both "snow mode" and 4x4 lock mode. Can't tell a difference. How many mph can you increase to in either of these modes before you ruin the engine. In other words, if you are doing 15-20 on a back road, and then are able to increase speed to 30 or 40, or higher, can you stay in 4x4 lock or snow mode, or are you damaging the engine.

We were coming down a windy, slushy icy back road the other night, in the dark, and accidently hit the emergency brake at a stop sign. It was a little stressful trying to figure out first what we had done, and next how to move on, back into traffic safely. Of course, this was not a good time to pull out the manual and learn about the vehicle and different options, and thankfully the Rene spoke to us on the dash. It read something like "to release the emergency break, press on it and step on the break pedal." Yep, the Rene told us what to do!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ok, I've read this and some of the other threads about driving in the snow. I have 2 questions, and I am hoping somebody can explain it to me - like you would explain it to a 6 year old....
1. Why would you turn of traction control in a snow storm or on snowy roads. What about icy roads, say when the snow is just starting to fall. and

2. I have tried both "snow mode" and 4x4 lock mode. Can't tell a difference. How many mph can you increase to in either of these modes before you ruin the engine. In other words, if you are doing 15-20 on a back road, and then are able to increase speed to 30 or 40, or higher, can you stay in 4x4 lock or snow mode, or are you damaging the engine.

We were coming down a windy, slushy icy back road the other night, in the dark, and accidently hit the emergency brake at a stop sign. It was a little stressful trying to figure out first what we had done, and next how to move on, back into traffic safely. Of course, this was not a good time to pull out the manual and learn about the vehicle and different options, and thankfully the Rene spoke to us on the dash. It read something like "to release the emergency break, press on it and step on the break pedal." Yep, the Rene told us what to do!
1. If you are stuck in the snow, wheelspin can sometimes help you get unstuck. Traction control will prevent wheelspin, so if you turn it off, motion might return to your car. Just be sure your car is actually moving. If you are stuck in truly deep snow and the car isn’t moving at all, spinning the tires is going to make the problem worse.

2. Snow mode alone seems to reduce engine power. By leaving the 4WD system in "Auto" and pressing just "4WD Lock" seems to give the Renegade more power.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My fingers (and hands) are too tired to take any pictures after 7 hours of shovelling 30 inches of snow out of my driveway.

Texas is looking appealing to me right now.

Reactions: StealyFace65

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took my trailhawk out in the snow for the first time in here in md. Drove down to my moms house where the road hadn't been plowed yet. There was about 12 inches of snow on the road and ruts where someone already got out. Drove right through the ruts in snow mode with 4wlock on with no problem on stock tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No new snow up here in Buffalo. I got my Jeep washed this weekend.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We didn't get a lot of snow compared to some of you (8-10) but my Latitude went great on the stock tires. I did notice I had quite the rooster tails coming off the rear tires. Real happy with how it handles. The auto w/lock does a real nice job. I didn't try the snow mode too much but it seems pretty good so far. Might try some unplowed dirt roads tomorrow in snow mode to really try it out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
bwbike
A snow blower is probably a pretty hot selling item in your area right about now.
Yeah, a lot of people on my block have snowblowers. I never got one because we rarely get a snowstorm of more than 12 inches with many years with maximum one-day storms of 3 to 6 inches. This 31 inches of snow is a record breaker for my area and I don't expect it to happen again.

And I don't want to maintain another machine that I only use on a rare occasion.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Surprisingly, aside from a few inches about a week or so ago (mostly melted now), we really haven't had much snow recently in Detroit.

I'm happy to hear that several of you have been having good experiences with your Renegade handling the snow!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.