Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to take the kid on his first road trip now that he's old enough to actually have some fun on a trip. We went to see Niagara falls, because it's a cool thing to see and it's only a day of travel there and back. Saw lots of renegades, and saw my first new compass on my trip A trailhawk with Ontario plates, so like super rare ;) Saw my first hypergreen renegade on the way back, and saw my second like 5 minutes later on the same road. Saw a ton of renegades in general though. Guess that happens after they sell a couple hundred thousand of them. Tried giving a wave to many of them, got none in return, what can you do.

I also can see why there are such variable experiences with the 30mph noise. Mines been much quieter since I had the rear drive unit replaced. I didn't hear it at all on my trip, even on local roads. Some places, like where I live, are just littered with the type of topography and speed limits that sets it off. Some places much, much less so.

Then there's the fuel economy. Wow terrain and traffic make a difference. I hit 27.1 mpg based on actual at the pump measures. 27.9 by trip computer's measure. Same kind of roads, similar traffic, lower speeds in PA only got me 25.2, but PA seems to be willing to grade their roads more steeply than upstate NY. Being able to cruise without having to constantly change speed to pass traffic or slow down with it also made a huge difference as I'm lucky to break 24mpg highway in my usual 1 hour radius despite it being WAY flatter than the PA or NY portion of this trip. There's more traffic, more exits causeing speed changes, more tolls, etc. It all adds up apparently. Given the different final drive and no front fascia air dam on the trailhawk, and that I was over 60mph most of the time, I don't think 27 is too bad.

The renegade is a decent little road trip vehicle for two adults, a kid, all their luggage, and a cooler. A full house, but pretty comfy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just got back from a road-trip myself. 300 miles each way to the outer banks of NC. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the Rene was on the highway. It was very stable at highway speeds and a real pleasure to drive. I was not at all fatigued or cramped at the end of the drive.

The gas mileage was nothing to cheer about (27.4). It was myself, wife and dog with a full cargo area of gear, a set of crossbars on the roof and the AC running.

I did notice that the transmission would consistently go into 9th at around 70mph.

Regarding the "rumble". When I was at the beach, the roads were flat and straight with a speed limit of 35mph. Heard the rumble often and noticed that trans was in 5th or sometimes 6th. I just popped it into manual and bumped it down to 4th. No more rumble.

2016 TH
Build date 5/16

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In total my trip was about 900 miles. My average MPG for the trip about ~24.5mpg.

Roads with slight inclines or declines and a 35mph speed limit seem to be the worst for the 30mph noise. Real actual hills seems to help reduce occurrences.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I decided to take the kid on his first road trip now that he's old enough to actually have some fun on a trip. We went to see Niagara falls, because it's a cool thing to see and it's only a day of travel there and back. Saw lots of renegades, and saw my first new compass on my trip A trailhawk with Ontario plates, so like super rare ;) Saw my first hypergreen renegade on the way back, and saw my second like 5 minutes later on the same road. Saw a ton of renegades in general though. Guess that happens after they sell a couple hundred thousand of them. Tried giving a wave to many of them, got none in return, what can you do.

I also can see why there are such variable experiences with the 30mph noise. Mines been much quieter since I had the rear drive unit replaced. I didn't hear it at all on my trip, even on local roads. Some places, like where I live, are just littered with the type of topography and speed limits that sets it off. Some places much, much less so.

Then there's the fuel economy. Wow terrain and traffic make a difference. I hit 27.1 mpg based on actual at the pump measures. 27.9 by trip computer's measure. Same kind of roads, similar traffic, lower speeds in PA only got me 25.2, but PA seems to be willing to grade their roads more steeply than upstate NY. Being able to cruise without having to constantly change speed to pass traffic or slow down with it also made a huge difference as I'm lucky to break 24mpg highway in my usual 1 hour radius despite it being WAY flatter than the PA or NY portion of this trip. There's more traffic, more exits causeing speed changes, more tolls, etc. It all adds up apparently. Given the different final drive and no front fascia air dam on the trailhawk, and that I was over 60mph most of the time, I don't think 27 is too bad.

The renegade is a decent little road trip vehicle for two adults, a kid, all their luggage, and a cooler. A full house, but pretty comfy.
It's too bad we didn't know each other longer. Had I known you were going to the falls, we could have met up. I only live about 40 mins from the Canadian side of the falls

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts

It's too bad we didn't know each other longer. Had I known you were going to the falls, we could have met up. I only live about 40 mins from the Canadian side of the falls

1 - 8 of 8 Posts