Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Off-road grinding-rubbing sound in sand.

Well yesterday was the first time I took my trailhawk through some sand and up sand hills. I live in El Paso, TX so not a big option as to what kind of terrain to hit. So my trailhawk was making a real loud like grinding rubbing noise when I pushed her to her limits in the sand. Mainly when I would turn the wheels left or right going up sand hills. Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Other than that she did awesome in the sand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that, but man is it loud and ugly is this something new all 4wheel drives do nowadays? Cause my ram had a similar noise and I swore it wasn't normal. All the 4 wheel drives I have ever owned never made a noise like this. Even my 2011 rubicon never made this noise.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's the abs module trying to lock the wheel that's spinning. Don't gun the gas and it will not be as bad. I glazed a passenger side front rotor and smoked the pad using mud mode trying to get unstuck.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's the abs module trying to lock the wheel that's spinning. Don't gun the gas and it will not be as bad. I glazed a passenger side front rotor and smoked the pad using mud mode trying to get unstuck.
That sounds bad. It should not damage the brakes in normal operation. More wear than normal should be expected, but not damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I guess that makes sense. Personally sounds like a crappy design. But I really appreciate the feedback. I guess I just won't push my trailhawk like my other jeeps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not too worried about it. I think it will bed back in OK. There is a lot of meat on the pads. I'm sure as I get used to having this thing off-road more I can learn to modulate the gas and clutch better to keep this from happening in the future.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Turn off the traction control. Press and hold the traction control button to turn down the ESP. Put it in sand mode. You will then be able to have more fun with less computer nanny.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Turn off the traction control. Press and hold the traction control button to turn down the ESP. Put it in sand mode. You will then be able to have more fun with less computer nanny.
I don't know how it works with automatics but in my manual Latitude "sand" mode turns off the traction control and throws a noticable amount of bias to the rear wheels. It also seems to desensitize the gas pedal somewhat. In "mud" mode the abs system clamps down on the spinning wheel on each axle to force the other to take up the slack. Its the Renegade version of locking differentials. Its effective but makes a ton of noise.

-Jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the trailhawk in sand mode it locks the rear up automatically and disabled the esp. But still slot of grinding or rubbing when I pushed it going uphill in sand especially when I turned the wheels on the go. But as mentioned before I guess it could be the brakes enabling to stop the most wheel slippage to provide that extra traction. I guess something I'll just have to get used to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Many vehicles use brakes action as locking differential in the market with different names.
Also Jeep Wrangler uses it since most model doesn't have as standard mechanical locking differentials or limited slip differential (for many models cannot be ordered with locking differential).

An example of BLD (brake lock differential) in action in a Jeep Wrangler.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.