Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I see that there are many questions regarding off-roading and figured why not make a little guide of videos, links, etc. to help drivers. I have been off-roading for about ten years and by no means a pro. I started with a little Nissan Pathfinder then picked up a Rubicon which I still use as a DD but my trail rig is a little ATV (the places I have gone with that thing scares me sometimes). Please keep it civil as everyone has there own techniques, etc.

Here is the official Jeep Tread Lightly Video links they are dated but still relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL05A03DB4E991C030

A little bit of reading material to read before hitting the trails:
http://www.offroadexperience.com/offroadguide1.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a tip that I learned this weekend.

I noticed that when offroading in my TH and it seem like I was stuck or not going anywhere, adding more power always helped. The thing with the brake loc differential is, when it applies brake to the spinning wheel, you need more power to overcome the brake and get the other wheels moving.

So remember! when you feel stuck, give it some more go juice. I was able to pull myself up and out of some pretty big ruts this weekend where one wheel was completely sunk and one wheel in the air. Check my 2015 TH adventure thread for videos.

If in doubt, throttle out!

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
I have a 2015 latitude with the daystar 1.5" lift. Last weekend I bottomed out on a rock and blew a hole in my rear diff. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

On a renegade, you are the first. But yeah, that can happen. It's why they make differential protectors. There are a few rear diff guards for subies.

Beat on a casting hard, and it will crack.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a 2015 latitude with the daystar 1.5" lift. Last weekend I bottomed out on a rock and blew a hole in my rear diff. Anyone ever seen anything like this?
Dang that is crazy. I'm going to either buy or fabricate a diff shield before I go out on any rocky trails...

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to Jeep

Have a Latitude 4x4. How deep of water can I safely ford? I know enough not to go in fast water. We were fishing and got caught in a bad storm. She pulled out of some deep ruts and slimy mud. It’s a 2.4L tiger shark engine, 2017. I did not intentionally off road ???, but came out coated in mud and had a blast. Curious about future capabilities. My son told me it was a good thing, it’s a Jeep and if I didn’t get her dirty, I’d hurt it’s feelings!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have a Latitude 4x4. How deep of water can I safely ford? I know enough not to go in fast water. We were fishing and got caught in a bad storm. She pulled out of some deep ruts and slimy mud. It’s a 2.4L tiger shark engine, 2017. I did not intentionally off road ???, but came out coated in mud and had a blast. Curious about future capabilities. My son told me it was a good thing, it’s a Jeep and if I didn’t get her dirty, I’d hurt it’s feelings!
I think it's a foot or less; the Trailhawk claims up to 19".
Regardless of depth, you want to continue forward progress. Do NOT stop.

If the water is deep enough, you'll set up a wave in front of you, the "bow wave".
Keep the wave moving in front of you, do not accelerate into it or slow down so that you lose the wave.
"As slow as possible, as fast as necessary."
I've been above the door sills in a different 4x4; consistent forward motion for the win.
One thing's for sure, you really don't want your cooling fan to hit the water.. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Anyone ever seen anything like this?
Yes. 1994 Dodge Omni. 2.2L Automatic. Going about 45 on a level straightaway, car jumped about 2’ into the air. Then after a few feet front end shot straight up about a foot. Imagine a low rider bouncing at 45 mph. Got over to the roadside and found the transaxle diff had a hole just like this. We think it let loose the pinion shaft and it locked against the case at about 1500 rpm. We figured the second bounce is when the pin finally bust loose and shot out so I could freewheel To the side. Chrysler eventually recalled for “wrong shaft clip” years after I ditched it. Looked just like this pic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Question:
What is some advice for non 4x4 renegade owners who would like to offroad?

I am not looking for answers such as upgrade to a 4x4 or stay on the pavement etc...
Rather, I am trying to offer some advice to the many members who do not own 4x4 renegades but still would like to tackle SOME trails.

Ill Start

1st: If in the sand and the front tires are spinning and not connecting to make traction STOP! get out and lower your tire pressure to around 10-15 PSI as this allows for a wider surface area to grip the sand and help push your way out. Also getting traction boards is beneficial. Having a wench is even better!
2nd The FWD is pretty capable in climbing and going through some dirt trails (NOT MUD) and suspension of the renegades are pretty efficient regardless of trim. Look for areas where there is some vegetation or grass as the roots help to hold the dirt together and improve traction.
3rd: when driving into a potential area to become stuck enter at an angle and exit at an angle rather than tackling it head on.

I would appreciate more advice on this subject as there is much advice for the 4x4 community but little for the 4x2 peeps

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
It only takes one obstacle to get you stuck, "On Trail". Mud, snow, water, soft deep sand.

If you think you are entering a potential area to get stuck then avoid it.

When in sand 10 psi is getting close to blowing a tyre off the wheel rim and should be avoided going that low in pressure. How do you fit a spare wheel on soft sand?

Personally I would only take a 2 wheel drive Jeep (front wheel drive) onto a solid trail with another vehicle in front of me to test the ground and to ensure that I have a 3rd recovery vehicle at my rear that's fitted with a winch to pull me out of any situation that gets me stuck. Usually it's easier to be pulled out of an obstruction than to be towed over it.

Keep in mind that the "tow hooks" on the Renegades are ONLY to be used for emergency purposes on level ground as they are attached to an aluminium frame that is a soft metal to keep your Jeep lightweight. That means basically any Jeep to be properly recoverd needs a rear towbar fitted to the chassis or a front winch fitted to the chassis.

So many more complications are involved if you want to take to the trails in a basic 2 wheel drive car never mind a BABY Jeep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.